hifi tuning gold fuses orientation?

Davey

Re: hifi tuning gold fuses orientation?
« Reply #20 on: 22 Feb 2015, 01:10 am »
Ric,

Feel free to post some distortion measurements of normal fuses versus audiophile fuses.  Maybe you'd care to explain how a fuse that requires a specific orientation is NOT causing some sort of distortion?  :)

Actually, I think much better data would be to show some measured tests of the blowing characteristics of these audiophile fuses.
steve f has highlighted the primary aspect of fuse operation.......SAFETY!  I'm surprised more of you aren't heeding his words.

Dave.

Ric Schultz

« Reply #21 on: 22 Feb 2015, 01:54 am »
All wire sounds different in each direction....this is not measureable.....but you can hear it.  Wonder wire came with one end bent to show you the "best sounding direction".  This game is very, very subtle.  Distortion measurements mean very little as to how something sounds.  This is not like cars....where you can measure the horsepower, weight and wind resistance and pre determine with accuracy the speed which it could go.  Our ears hear things we have not even begun to figure out how to measure.  This is just how it is....believe it or not.  All brands of resistors, all solder brands, all wires, all capacitors, all connectors, etc. etc. all sound different......we have no measurements to tell us how they sound.  You have to listen.  Read the post where the guy changed his output connectors on his Odyssey amps to the best silver WBT jacks.....he heard all kinds of improvements.....Do you think this was measureable?  No way!  You can believe what you want or try doing open minded listening tests to find out the "truth".  The truth is what we hear.  Not some theory in our heads.  The truth is an experience....when you hear the truth....then you really know something.  Thoughts in your head are not real knowledge....they are just thoughts.

steve f

« Reply #22 on: 22 Feb 2015, 01:58 am »
Ric, If you are happy then I am happy for you.

Steve

Davey

« Reply #23 on: 22 Feb 2015, 02:07 am »
Steve,

Ric is just in a different portion of the audiophile world.  For those of us in the real world that attempt to understand/quantify things, it's essentially impossible to communicate with persons in that realm.  Everything devolves to a subjective evaluation "proof" or is steered to some sort of straw man argument.  Everything is rationalized to a different premise and you're just left shaking your head.  No intellectual curiosity at all, yet it's the other person who is not open-minded.  How funny is that.  :)
I make an attempt every once in a while, but know it's a waste of time.  It's just the way it is.

I'd still like to hear an explanation from Ric (or anybody) as to why/how these fuses are directional in an AC circuit.

Cheers,

Dave.
« Last Edit: 22 Feb 2015, 03:07 am by Davey »

steve f

« Reply #24 on: 22 Feb 2015, 03:06 am »
Truth involves a belief system. Fact is quite different. A fact is indisputable. 1+1=2. There isn't room for argument. Except for the wild and wacky world of audio.

Example: at a "serious" listening session, we were testing two different interconnects. The RCA connectors were identical, and were of good quality. The wire was a nice microphone cable and also identical except for color. The audience wasn't informed of this. We let them switch cables back and forth for an hour. For the record, blue sounds much better than green. Some people said they couldn't hear any difference. Others came up with every possible descriptive audio term imaginable. We let these people, drive, vote, and reproduce.  When the volume was up too high, and the amp was clipping, they didn't notice, but they can hear the difference between colors. Go figure.

steve f

« Reply #25 on: 22 Feb 2015, 03:39 am »
On the much lighter side, I look forward to meeting Klaus and auditioning his fine products at AXPONA.

steve  8)

OzarkTom

« Reply #26 on: 22 Feb 2015, 04:07 am »
When I was in the Army, a friend that had been smoking pot came over to listen to my system. I asked him how it sounded and he just shook his head. He got up to adjust my preamp/equalizer and then sat back down. He said aww, that is it.

I just smiled and never said a word. The EQ was shut off on the pre.

aaron.luebke

« Reply #27 on: 23 Feb 2015, 01:00 pm »
Just a simple question...

Are the fuses in question even in the signal path?  Or are they so far removed that....well...even if there was a difference in the audiobility of the fuse (just made that up...it sounds better) that it would make no difference?

The only good fuse in a signal path is one that only exists on paper.  I'm not saying they shouldn't be there to protect but leading an 8 gauge wire to a speaker and then pumping that signal through a hair makes me wonder about the need for 8 gauge wire.