Stratos and a Balanced isolation transformer

rikhav

Stratos and a Balanced isolation transformer
« on: 17 Jan 2015, 04:52 pm »
Has anyone played a stratos amp (mine is extreme ++) via a Balanced isolation transformer?

If yes, does it affect the performance of the amp in a bad way?

I have read that some equipment dont play good with balanced power specially power amps
Some say high powered amps (specially with a big capacitor bank) , performance is restricted

Any insights will be helpful

Also want to know what is the max power consumption of a stratos extreme in watts. Its no where mentioned on the company website

rikhav

Re: Stratos and a Balanced isolation transformer
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jan 2015, 04:23 pm »
No one used any odyssey amp with a balanced isolation transformer?

Any general suggestion and views on balanced isolation transformer also welcome

Also if anyone can help with max power consumption of stratos extreme in watts would be really helpful

Klaus?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jan 2015, 05:29 pm »
Why do you think you need one?  Have you tried other technologies?  What problem are you having?

Balanced units of the 20 amp variety can easily handle your amps.  Components draw much less energy than you might think.  I suggest a small investment and have one of these lying around - very informative.

http://www.amazon.com/P3-P4400-Electricity-Usage-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU

My entire system from router thru powered speakers only pulls 300 watts at 85 db listening levels.  Each amp about 1 amp each of the total amps.  You use very little of your wpc even with modest speaker efficiency.

Have you tried more passive devices as well or individual component tweaks instead of one large device for all gear?

rikhav

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jan 2015, 06:48 pm »
Hi

Need to remove noise from power lines which is induced by use of cfls, fans and other equipment used

No, I have not tried any passive components

Any pointers which ones should I try

Interesting product it is.
Will surely order one from amazon if there is a230 v version as am from India

I am sure there will be one

rikhav

« Reply #4 on: 3 Feb 2015, 07:23 pm »
I have dropped the idea of a Balanced isolation transformer as there is no in india who can make it as safe as BPT transformers

Now I wanted to know if I can run my cd player and preamp with ground disconnected from the power cable

The idea is to have to have single ground connection for the whole setup.
The RCA's are grounded and as RCA will run from cdp to pre to power amp, it will create a ground for all equipment in the chain assuming in the stratos the RCA ground is connected to chasis ground at one point

Can someone confirm that in the stratos the chasis ground is connected to RCA ground at one point and is it OK to do what I have suggested

thanks

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #5 on: 6 Feb 2015, 04:02 pm »
The Stratos is chassis ground, yes, but from the AC connector, and NOT the RCA's

rikhav

« Reply #6 on: 6 Feb 2015, 04:46 pm »
Thanks klaus for the reply

But i wanted to know if the ground through AC is connected to RCA ground at a single point or not