xtreme mono owners

vpolineni

xtreme mono owners
« on: 19 May 2003, 08:32 pm »
To all xtreme mono owners:
   Give us some feedback about your thoughts on these amps.  Hopefully, some of you have owned them long enough to give a thorough review, but any and all comments would be much appreciated.  Thanks!

Christophe35

xtreme mono owners
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2003, 09:48 pm »
Hi everyone,

I'm interrested also in impressions about the Xtreme, and especially comparisons with the standart monos for those who had opportunity to listen to both.

Christophe

rosconey

xtreme mono owners
« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2003, 12:20 am »
i've had my extremes for a few months now in my system , they are a very smooth amp, excellent bass control.
my speakers are 3.5 way diy 89db 4ohm
other amps(rxv-1 reciever amps&carver pm350)didnt like the speakers at high volumes, these dont even strain in the least.i'm a very happy kamper :mrgreen:
i started with extremes so i cant comment on standard monos :o

BWentler

• In Christ, we are all saved!
RE: To all xtreme mono owners:
« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2003, 03:27 am »
I, like Rosconey, received my Extreme Monos several months ago (early February - I think) and they are just GREAT!  They blow away my Belles 150 Hot Rod amp and really make my Melos MA-333 and now the ALL TUBED Melos SHA-Gold sing!  :D

The Vandersteen Model 2Ce Signature speakers have bass that shakes the floor at low to medium volume :!:   The monos also control these speakers with little effort and without degrading any details and imaging.

I have two grips.  I have with these amps is the urge to keep turning the volume higher and loader for the music just sounds better and better.  My setup is in a small 10'x12' room so a little turn of the volume changes the sound levels greatly.  I would love to place this system in a room twice the size and then listen.  I know the amps will handle the extra need for power!  :wink:

Another side effect of these amps is that they will show if another piece in your system is a weak link.  Once you hear these amps broken in, you'll start looking at your other pieces and start to ask the MOST DANGEROUS QUESTION....  :|

WHAT IF I CHANGE THIS PIECE!!!!!!!!!   :o

If you do, these amps will show you the results.  MAR just released the all tubed upgrade for the SHA-Gold line of pre-amps that removes the 4x MOSFET and replaces them with 2x 6922 tubes.  This mod results in a sound that is very close to the MA-333 pre-amp but without the details that the MA-333 can reproduce.  I believe it's because of the dual mono design from the PS to the board of the MA-333 while the SHA-Gold has just one PS for both channels and both channels run together on the same board.  This upgrade would not shine as much nor could you tell the difference as it does without the monos being the quality that they are.  :mrgreen:

I doubted the feedback from everyone on AudioReview until I got mine home and then I understood what they was saying!

Marbles

xtreme mono owners
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2003, 03:40 am »
AMEN!!!

BTW, I just learned what "AMEN" really means.

I believe!

BlackCat

xtreme mono owners
« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2003, 02:53 pm »
I got mine in January, I simply love them.  I drive a pair of B&W 604 S3 speakers with the Xtremes.  The amps have a wonderful control over the speakers, great great bass response, without any thundering that I had with the previous amp.  B&W speakers are also thought by some to be overly bright, and mine were with the old amp, not so with the Xtremes.  Highs are shimmery (is that a word?) and clean.  I have an awful room....about 40 foot by 20 foot...12 foot ceilings, tile floors,  one wall is 95% glass.  The Xtremes somehow manage to sound wonderful in that awful environment.  An odd thing I've noticed, and have seen reference to it before...the Xtremes sound very good even when you're not in the main listening room.  I mean, I can be in the kitchen, and the Xtremes still sound good.... I don't know why this might be, but it happens.

mgalusha

xtreme mono owners
« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2003, 10:16 pm »
I've had my pair since mid January and they keep getting better. They are very smooth and are very revealing of the source. If there is any grain or grit in the signal they reproduce it very faithfully. However, when fed a clean, grain free signal, they are very smooth and powerful.

As expressed by others, power does not seem to be an issue. I have cranked it up high enough to bottom out a woofer and the sound was completely unstrained and open until the nasty crack of the woofer. This weekend I was playing Dire Straits Brothers In Arms (JVC XRCD) at extreme levels (I think Jason was a little concerned for his hearing  :lol:) just to see how hard I could push the system without it sounding congested, compressed or confused. Even at very high levels everything was clear and distinct. Very nice.

BTW, the Xtreme's really like vinyl and balanced power. I have them plugged into a BPT BP-2.5 Ultra and the difference over straight wall power is significant. Nay, the difference is amazing. After listening with balanced power it's a huge step down to run them straight from the wall. I have read the Klaus recommends a straight AC feed but in my system this is not a good thing. Too many computers and other nasty crap on our lines. :(

As for vinyl, the Xtreme's never sound hard, grainy or tiring, they just make music. I can spin LP's all day and never get fatigued.

Kind of reminds me of the old computer saying; garbage in = garbage out. Feed them good power and a great signal and they will reward you with great music.

That's my nickel and of course YMMY. :)

Mike

TheeeChosenOne

xtreme mono owners
« Reply #7 on: 21 May 2003, 12:23 am »
Are the case for Xxtremes the width and depth of the Dual Monos?

IF so, man that takes space...........

rosconey

xtreme mono owners
« Reply #8 on: 21 May 2003, 09:52 am »
:o yup same cases :o

MaxCast

xtreme mono owners
« Reply #9 on: 21 May 2003, 11:28 am »
Quote from: TheeeChosenOne
Are the case for Xxtremes the width and depth of the Dual Monos?

IF so, man that takes space...........

If you need space, ask Klaus about a Stereo Extreme.  I have one with a platimun face and it looks as good as it sounds.

Goodwine59

xtreme mono owners
« Reply #10 on: 22 May 2003, 02:00 am »
Max,
"ask Klaus about a Stereo Extreme..." what kind of mods comprise a Stereo Xtreme? Could you elaborate a bit? Thank you.
Goodwine59

MaxCast

xtreme mono owners
« Reply #11 on: 22 May 2003, 11:55 am »
They are the same as the mono's.  This has been the best amplifier in my system.  The general jist of the reviews coming in are all right on.  You can insert any adjetive you wish but the speed, bass, smoothness, detail are all there.  I plan on writing about my upgrades once I get some quality time spent with the system (more than an hour).

Here is the mod link.  I don't think Klaus ever posted a detailed list of parts used for the upgrade.
http://www.harmonicdiscord.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8608&highlight=upgrade

Pirate

xtreme mono owners
« Reply #12 on: 23 May 2003, 01:34 am »
Maxcast,

I have a Stratos Stereo ordered with the cap upgrade option. Is yours upgraded further or do you consider the cap upgrade the extrem :?: [/img]

rosconey

xtreme mono owners
« Reply #13 on: 23 May 2003, 01:47 am »
pirate
 :o  extremes are mono block amps-1 channel per side(2 cases), stratos stereo are 2 amps in a single case.not sure about all the parts that are the extreme ones , power supply is bigger and more caps- that little i know :mrgreen:

mgalusha

xtreme mono owners
« Reply #14 on: 23 May 2003, 02:01 am »
I can't speak for Klaus but I'm pretty sure the Xtreme stereo has a pair of the same power supply transformers as the Xtreme mono's.

The normal stereo Stratos has a single transfomer for both channels. The standard mono's also have the same single transfomer but are bridged for mono operation.

The dual mono is basically two of the mono's in one case. There are two transformers, one for each board.

In the Xtreme mono there are two transformers providing power to one board running in bridged mode. To make a dual mono Xtreme would require 4 of the new power transfomers which won't fit into the case. This is why Klaus doesn't offer a DM Xtreme.

For the stereo Xtreme he is installing a pair of the transformers used in the Xtreme mono's. This will provide double the power supply current available in a standard stereo Stratos. I suspect it has the Wima bypass caps as well. Only Klaus can say for sure... :) Given how good the Xtreme mono's sound, the Xtreme stereo should sound very good indeed.

How do I know this? I asked Klaus if he had considered building such a beast and he said he was building Maxcast's amp in that very manner. :)

Of course I could be wrong. I'm sure Klaus will clear it up if I'm mistaken.

Mike

MaxCast

xtreme mono owners
« Reply #15 on: 23 May 2003, 02:55 pm »
Pirate, Mike pretty much sumed it up.  It has douple tranies,  more capacitance (sp) and other super fast race car parts. :wink:  
Klaus offered this opportunity and I went with it.  I've never owned a Stratos anything before so I can't compare it to a Stereo.  All I know is it works, works very well and I'm a happy camper. :mrgreen:

Give Klaus a call.  He should post a basic list so everyone will know.

jcoat007

xtreme mono owners
« Reply #16 on: 23 May 2003, 03:19 pm »
I have had the Xtremes for about a month now, and they just keep getting better and better.  I have the feeling of unlimited power, and I agree with the previous post about volume.  I just keep turning it up louder and louder, and the sound seems to get bigger instead of louder.  I have not found the point at which the system sounds strained.  Highs are shimmery, but still smooth.  The speed and attack of these beasts is amazing, but just so smooth and grain-free.  Now that they are broken in, I am very cognizant of upstream components.  Vinyl is just heavenly on these.  CD's can sound good, if they are recorded well.  I am discovering which recordings are just plain lousy, as these babies reveal all.  

They sounded good to begin with, but after a month they are silky smooth, inky black and incredibly powerful.

Pirate

xtreme mono owners
« Reply #17 on: 23 May 2003, 05:25 pm »
Thanks all,  :D . Now to call Klause, I can see it now :rules: Oh what have I done :wink:

MaxCast

xtreme mono owners
« Reply #18 on: 24 May 2003, 03:39 pm »
Inside of the Stratos Stereo Extreme

TheeeChosenOne

xtreme mono owners
« Reply #19 on: 24 May 2003, 04:05 pm »
Nice pic.

Is that the Platinum finish I see on your plate?  ;)   If so, yum.