Will there be an Odyssey DAC in the future?

jMelvin

Will there be an Odyssey DAC in the future?
« on: 2 Nov 2012, 11:35 am »
Klaus, any thoughts of applying your genius to building a DAC for us? Seems every audio brand known to man is building one and I, for one, would love to see/hear what you would come up with.

BobC

Re: Will there be an Odyssey DAC in the future?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Nov 2012, 12:19 pm »
I asked that question a while back and the answer was "no".   

jMelvin

« Reply #2 on: 2 Nov 2012, 12:24 pm »
Thanks BobC .. I looked around before asking and must have missed it. I must say I'm a bit disappointed.

roscoeiii

« Reply #3 on: 2 Nov 2012, 07:26 pm »
No need to feel disappointed. There are many great DACs out there. I would rather companies focus on their strengths than feel that they should offer every type of component. Klaus & co do great speakers and amplification. Fine with them continuing to refine and improve those.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #4 on: 2 Nov 2012, 07:50 pm »
And don't forget the new phono stage that was playing at RMAF.  Killer for the money just like the rest of Odyssey's stuff.  My understanding is that was the base model and there will be options for upgrades, external power supply via umbilical, etc.

Bryan

jMelvin

« Reply #5 on: 2 Nov 2012, 10:16 pm »
I see your point roscoeiii .. I just love my Cyclops and, well, just wishful thinking I guess. 

lazydays

« Reply #6 on: 5 Dec 2012, 07:07 pm »
And don't forget the new phono stage that was playing at RMAF.  Killer for the money just like the rest of Odyssey's stuff.  My understanding is that was the base model and there will be options for upgrades, external power supply via umbilical, etc.

Bryan

have you actually listened to this phono stage? How did it compair with the Kismet? Also was it battery powered or did it use a seperate power supply?
gary

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #7 on: 5 Dec 2012, 07:12 pm »
Yup.  Listened to it for 3 days.  Sounded very good.  It was just the single box solution and don't believe it had batteries - but Alex could tell you more - sorry.

Bryan

AlexG

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 6 Dec 2012, 04:05 pm »

Bryan

have you actually listened to this phono stage? How did it compair with the Kismet? Also was it battery powered or did it use a separate power supply?
gary

Indeed it sounded very good and very musical :thumb:

Gary,

The "Suspiro" phono stage is a complete new design. No, does not have batteries but has a very refined, well filtered dual power supply - and it is very quiet! We are just waiting for the initial run of metal work to be completed in the next few days. I will post an update as a separate blog with complete details soon after the first units are completed.

Alex

lazydays

« Reply #9 on: 6 Dec 2012, 07:29 pm »
Indeed it sounded very good and very musical :thumb:

Gary,

The "Suspiro" phono stage is a complete new design. No, does not have batteries but has a very refined, well filtered dual power supply - and it is very quiet! We are just waiting for the initial run of metal work to be completed in the next few days. I will post an update as a separate blog with complete details soon after the first units are completed.

Alex

I spoke with Klaus a couple weeks ago, and he told me about it, but after hanging up I ended up being even more confused that at the start. I gather that there will be several options in the build path including a seperate power supply (correct?). I also kinda gather that it has two inputs (I'm gonna want that). But where I'm at right now is it with all the upgrades in construction worth the trouble verses simply buying the Kismet?
gary