Best and Worst of RMAF.

audioengr

Re: Best and Worst of RMAF.
« Reply #40 on: 19 Oct 2011, 07:16 pm »
BTW Steve, I only did a Top 3 at show this year, but your room was in the top 5, IMO.  Best I've ever heard a YG Acoustic speaker sound.  Wish I could have heard the Vapors, seems like they took it up another level.

Duh, I should have had your cell phone.  We played them both Sat. and Sun. after show hours....

I felt myself grabbing for my wallet and wanting to open it.  :P

Steve N.

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #41 on: 19 Oct 2011, 08:33 pm »
I didn't attend, but my best of RMAF so far is from Michael Lavorgna's RMAF blog for Stereophile. Absolutely classic...

"I nearly forgot to mention the most important part of my visit to DeVore Fidelity—John played some PJ Harvey which completely kicked the asses of all the ghosts of all the waify peudo-sultry songstresses that were haunting my head and who have apparently found a very comfortable new home in the world of high res files. That's what friends are for. "

standub

« Reply #42 on: 19 Oct 2011, 10:35 pm »
Duh, I should have had your cell phone.  We played them both Sat. and Sun. after show hours....

I felt myself grabbing for my wallet and wanting to open it.  :P

Steve N.

Hell I don't even have space in my house with out the basement finished and i'm thinking of opening the wallet, and how to hide it from the wife.

Scottdazzle

« Reply #43 on: 19 Oct 2011, 11:06 pm »
The best overall was an entire category for me: the large number of remarkably musical speakers available for beer budget audiophiles.  The Vapors at $5k were stunningly neutral. The Odyssey Kismet speakers look like a ridiculous bargain at $3500.  For less than $2k there were quite a few winners, led by the Fritzspeakers and the 2 Soundsmith monitors.  I didn't even know Soundsmith had speakers before Saturday.  The $10k Daedalus 3-way floorstanders (sorry I don't remember the name but they were in the Modwright room) gave many more expensive speakers a spanking. Wide-ranging, dynamic, uncolored, as well as drop-dead gorgeous woodwork. Boy, would I like a pair of those!

My absolute favorite system was the Vandersteen 7, Aethetix, Clearaudio system. I like acoustic Americana and jazz and these speakers came the closest to sounding like musicians in the room as opposed to hifi.  The Focal system that some other ACers liked a lot sounded too hifi to me. The vocals in particular had a glossy, "better than life" sound that I found to be distracting.  I couldn't get past the impression that I was listening to a hifi system, not musicians. Ymmv.  My second favorite was a tie the Modwright - Daedalus room and the Soundsmith room.  I admit that I only listened in about 50 rooms and I had a definite goal of listening to more of the moderate price stuff and therefore missed some of the top gear that I know I could never afford.

The worst of the show for me was the Martin Logan room which I was unable to audition on two separate visits because the music was so loud it hurt my ears (that's not a figure of speech - they physically hurt my ears). Second was the Sonus Faber room because they were too far apart for optimum imaging, played too loud, and the exhibitor played music he liked instead of asking listeners what they would like to hear. His choice of synth r&b left me cold. He's very young and hopefully he will learn to cater to his audience in the future.

Last but not least it was a pleasure to get to rub elbows with and talk to designers and craftsmen I admire like Dan Wright and Peter Lederman. All in all, it was a great show and I just wish we had an extra day or two to listen to more!

vinyl_lady

« Reply #44 on: 19 Oct 2011, 11:39 pm »
The best overall was an entire category for me: the large number of remarkably musical speakers available for beer budget audiophiles.  The Vapors at $5k were stunningly neutral. The Odyssey Kismet speakers look like a ridiculous bargain at $3500.  For less than $2k there were quite a few winners, led by the Fritzspeakers and the 2 Soundsmith monitors.  I didn't even know Soundsmith had speakers before Saturday.  The $10k Daedalus 3-way floorstanders (sorry I don't remember the name but they were in the Modwright room) gave many more expensive speakers a spanking. Wide-ranging, dynamic, uncolored, as well as drop-dead gorgeous woodwork. Boy, would I like a pair of those!

My second favorite was a tie the Modwright - Daedalus room and the Soundsmith room. 

Last but not least it was a pleasure to get to rub elbows with and talk to designers and craftsmen I admire like Dan Wright and Peter Lederman. All in all, it was a great show and I just wish we had an extra day or two to listen to more!

Scott,

I'm glad you liked the Modwright/Daedalus room. Your description of the Daedalus speakers describes why I own his DA-1.1s. The ones in the room were the Athena's. Lou makes great speakers and the craftsmanship is out of this world. Lou's speakers are very life-like, tonally accurate and non fatiguing. I also use the Modwright KWA 150 amp. There is great synergy between Dan's amps and Lou's speakers.

I also agree with you about the Soundsmith room. I thought those little speakers for $1500 might have been the bargain of the show along with Frtiz'. Amazing bass from those small speakers in both rooms. I also agree with your comments about Klaus' Kismit speakers. They perfromed well above their $3500 price point.

It was great seeing you. I look froward to our next GTG when I'm in DC.

Laura

Eugene2

« Reply #45 on: 20 Oct 2011, 03:49 am »
I also enjoyed the show, I enjoyed several rooms which is not usually the case at these shows.  I will not call a best I will say there were some very good sounding systems; starting at Canjam, brought my HiFiman He6's with black dragon cables into the Schiit Lyr, Wooaudio 5 and mostly the Ray Samuels Darkstar incredible!!!  Upstairs systems Merlin VSM, Odyssey, Triode - Acoustic Zen, Tad (smaller), Empirical, smaller Salk with the Van Alstine OTL, MC room, Vandersteen, Eschelon, etc. 
I wish I could have caught the Vapor Cirrus speakers, excellent show...
That Odyssey Kismet integrated had a good buzz going... 

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #46 on: 20 Oct 2011, 11:09 am »
KR Audio certainly needs more US exposure....

They do Bill....some really good products... :thumb:

http://www.kraudio.com/

schw06

« Reply #47 on: 20 Oct 2011, 12:27 pm »
KR Audio does have new representation in the US. It's Ron Williams formerly of Avantgarde and Zu. The KR amps are absolutely amazing and If anyone wants his contact information, here is his # (423)915-6315. His email is ronlynwms@gmail.com. I do believe the KR amp from the show is available for sale as a demo unit.
David

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #48 on: 20 Oct 2011, 02:30 pm »
I have to apologize. With all the craziness, we forgot to thank Ron for allowing us to play with the Kron Saturday night. Ron is a great guy and I wish him great success as he moves forward with KR.
Unfortunately, this event spoiled everyone who was there. We should have snuck in to the room where is sat Saturay night and took the KR hostage for Sunday :lol:

See you in Vegas Ron!!

sts9fan

« Reply #49 on: 21 Oct 2011, 09:13 pm »
It's Friday, chill out and listen to sOme tunes!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #50 on: 21 Oct 2011, 11:41 pm »
Spirit I'm with you. 

It amazes me that after XXX years in the business, XX years displaying at shows, and X years displaying at this show any vendor cannot deliver on their promises.  It amazes me that "good" equipment can't sound good with "good" amps (yes I know the importance of synergy, but truly "good" equipment just should not be that fussy).  It amazes me that with all that experience you wouldn't know how fussy your pieces really are and that you wouldn't be careful to pick associated pieces.

With the price tags involved I accept zero excuses.

rbbert

« Reply #51 on: 25 Oct 2011, 09:52 pm »
...I was frustrated that I did not get to hear the VR44s and cannot foresee another opportunity.

I listened to them all three days.  They were certainly at their best on Sunday from what I heard.  IMHO they did not particularly stand out in the ~$20k loudspeaker category.

Admin2

« Reply #52 on: 26 Oct 2011, 06:18 pm »
Naturally, problems are going to arise when we have a topic where people are going to discuss the "Worst" from RMAF.  Keep in mind one is naturally going to get offended and defensive when another is critical of their products.  On a related note, be mindful of how a product critique could be perceived as a personal attack.

Explanations have been given and apologies have been made, etc., etc.  If you missed it, check the IGWB. 

Let's move along and play nice.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #53 on: 26 Oct 2011, 06:50 pm »
Naturally, problems are going to arise when we have a topic where people are going to discuss the "Worst" from RMAF.  Keep in mind one is naturally going to get offended and defensive when another is critical of their products.  On a related note, be mindful of how a product critique could be perceived as a personal attack.

Explanations have been given and apologies have been made, etc., etc.  If you missed it, check the IGWB. 

Let's move along and play nice.

I agree play nice but be honest. The comments are opinions of what they experienced good or bad. As a dealer when we bring a component to someones Home for audition it is what it is. I would be the first one to admit the good or bad of the demo.
   Sometimes we need to thicken our skin and take the good with the bad. We cannot learn anything by no winners or losers. I'll certainly agree that our choice of words may offend and that should just not be. As the Admin. stated play nice.

charles
SMA

Socrates7

• Find me at http://parttimeaudiophile.com/
    • Part-Time Audiophile
« Reply #54 on: 27 Oct 2011, 08:44 pm »

:o :o :o

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Steampunk DAC!

It was one of the first things I saw at the show and all weekend I found myself babbling about it to anyone who asked.

Love that design! LOVE IT.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Rapt

« Reply #55 on: 28 Oct 2011, 04:19 am »
Found....a few YouTube videos...

TAD....  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXMP4cKaVtM

Totem...  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwb2a49lev0

Silbatone ....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKhTM1D8oCY

Does anyone know the song that was playing in the TAD video above, THANKS!

decal

« Reply #56 on: 28 Oct 2011, 10:42 am »
I don't know but it was pretty boring  to me.  :sleep: As they say,"to each his own". :argue:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #57 on: 28 Oct 2011, 12:34 pm »

It was one of the first things I saw at the show and all weekend I found myself babbling about it to anyone who asked.

I loved your show coverage and you took some really great pics - thank you.

However, when you have an unfamiliar room, with never heard before equipment in it, how can you determine the performance of an individual product?  I think the best that can be said is whether you enjoyed the room or not - nothing more.

This isn't just directed just at you, but to everybody out there.

George 

fsimms

« Reply #58 on: 28 Oct 2011, 12:55 pm »
+1

Some of the stuff that I knew was special didn’t sound special at the show.  To many variables.

Bob

PS I still loved the coverage though!  :thumb:

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #59 on: 28 Oct 2011, 05:50 pm »

what about the dac did you love?  looks?  sound?

thanks,

doug s.