Pez

Canjam room
« on: 6 Oct 2009, 11:19 pm »
More to come tomorrow!
« Last Edit: 14 Oct 2010, 11:10 pm by Pez »

Pez

Re: Canjam room Stay Tuned!!!
« Reply #1 on: 7 Oct 2009, 07:19 pm »
Alright here is the Canjam coverage. We did not make it to every booth, only a few, but I hope you enjoy.

{Tyson} This area was very nicely set up, a huge cavernous room which allowed the vendors to have a bit of space between them, a good thing.  I didn't do a whole lot of listening at RMAF, as I was already starting to hit aural fatigue by the time we got here.  But, I have heard most of these amps and headphones extensively on previous occassions. 

Moon Audio

Excellent setup here. Cary front end, Grado and Sennheiser cans.

{Tyson}  I'm actually not a big fan of the Cary stuff.  However, the HD800's are "da bomb", a very clear step up from the HD650's that Sennheiser previously had as their top-of-line dynamic headphone.  If I could use open-air cans in my setup I'd own them in half a heartbeat.

I really liked the Cary headphone amp with the Sennheisers HD 800s.

HeadDirect
Open air headphones. I liked the way they sounded. Great had a very open soundstage and a warmth that was very enticing.

{Tyson}  These were also good sounding headphones, but which fall short of the HD800's (but are also less expensive).  They did look great, and had a more upscale feel than most headphones do.

Woo Audio
My personal favorite booth. Had a mixture of Grado, Stax and Sennheisers. The Woo amps were to die for!

{Tyson}  Woo is probably the top manufacturer of tubed headphone amps in the world at the moment.  The Woo 5 and the Woo 6SE are both stellar sounding amps, and their electrostatic amp is also top of the line.  If I did not have a custom Art Audio / Bolder Cables 6bl7 + 6sn7 amp in the works, the Woos would be at the top of my list (with the Zana Deux up there as well). 

My favorite setup in the Can jam is this one. Woo Audio WA5 Lite Edition with 300b tubes. It used the Treasure 300bs with the Sennheiser HD 800s. Probably the best headphone setup I have heard period. Not to mention dead sexy!

{Tyson}  HD800s again.  Did I mention that they were "da bomb"?  Especially when driven by Woo amps.  Probably the best I've heard.

Woo WE9 used treasures again. EL34s with Stax headphones.

This is pretty par for the course for me.

Easily my favorite headphone booth!

headfi
A very random assortment of some really nice gear. Being that I am not a headphone guy I'll let Tyson do most of the commenting. I honestly don't recall what any of this stuff is called. Slightly bad lighting here and a bit of motion blur.

{Tyson}  The Zana Deux Transformer (ZDT) amp on the far left (with the triple nipple tubes) is the best tube amp I've heard for driving low impedance headphones.  The headphones with the wooden cups are a pair of modded Denon D7000's and they are 25 ohms, which is crazy low for headphones.  Obviously closed headphones have a very different sound than open headphones, but I thought this combo was great.  In fact, the only 2 headphone amps that drive the Denon's well are the ZDT and the Woo Audio 6SE. 

{Tyson}  This is a Moth Audio amp, built by the same designer that now makes the Zana Deux amps.  It did not look like it was turned on, so we didn't listen to it.  But if the Zana Deux amps are anything to go by, I'm willing to bet that it sounds spectacular.
« Last Edit: 13 Oct 2009, 05:58 pm by Pez »

TF1216

• Industry Participant
Re: Canjam room
« Reply #2 on: 7 Oct 2009, 07:25 pm »
I totally agree with your statements about the Woo Audio booth.  The HD800 headphones sounded spectacular. 

Did you get a chanced to check out JH Audio.  I went into CanJam @ RMAF with the intent on staying until I found my next headphone setup.  JH Audio was the place where I found that.

santacore

« Reply #3 on: 7 Oct 2009, 07:29 pm »
Nice, thanks for the effort.

At CanJam Los Angeles last year the Woo Audio WA5 LE and Sennheiser HD800 rig were my favorite at the show. Really nice! Since then I've picked up the HD800's and the Grant Fidelity A-534B amp which I think give the Woo a run for it's money. I'd love to do a head to head match one day.

One of these days I have to check out the JH Audio phones. I'm not big in IEM's but everyone's raving about these.

capwkidd

« Reply #4 on: 11 Oct 2009, 01:26 pm »
I liked theses units as well, which model did you get? I listened to the top end ones first (13's?), the $1000 onces, then asked to hear the $399 ones... what a difference!

I totally agree with your statements about the Woo Audio booth.  The HD800 headphones sounded spectacular. 

Did you get a chanced to check out JH Audio.  I went into CanJam @ RMAF with the intent on staying until I found my next headphone setup.  JH Audio was the place where I found that.

Pez

« Reply #5 on: 13 Oct 2009, 05:59 pm »
now with Tyson's comments. Should have been added days ago.  :oops:

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 13 Oct 2009, 06:13 pm »
I liked theses units as well, which model did you get? I listened to the top end ones first (13's?), the $1000 onces, then asked to hear the $399 ones... what a difference!

I got the JH13 IEMs.  I justified the price by making myself sell everything I have now.  So far I have sold my headphones and IEMs and waiting to see on the DAC and headphone amp.

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #7 on: 13 Oct 2009, 10:53 pm »

Best sound i heard at RMAF was a pair of  Balanced   JH Audio  JH13 IEMs. with a Electrocompaniet CDP and a Ray Samules Apachie Total Package there.

ED

AB

« Reply #8 on: 13 Oct 2009, 11:56 pm »
My favorite was Ray Samuels A10 Thunderbolt.

Loved it. The NOS tubes it ran probably helped a bit. :thumb:

cryoparts

« Reply #9 on: 14 Oct 2009, 12:05 am »
That Apache really sounded nice with those JH13's.  The 13's are crazy good, and I am an IEM hater.

Ray just told me today that he shipped my "rev C" Apache back to me today, woooohoooo!

Peace,

Lee

Best sound i heard at RMAF was a pair of  Balanced   JH Audio  JH13 IEMs. with a Electrocompaniet CDP and a Ray Samules Apachie Total Package there.

ED

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #10 on: 14 Oct 2009, 12:50 am »
Did you try the  Balanced pair? WOW

That Apache really sounded nice with those JH13's.  The 13's are crazy good, and I am an IEM hater.

Ray just told me today that he shipped my "rev C" Apache back to me today, woooohoooo!

Peace,

Lee

ED

Pez

« Reply #11 on: 14 Oct 2010, 11:09 pm »
Unstickied for now