Xtreme's in da house!!!

Beezer

Xtreme's in da house!!!
« Reply #20 on: 25 Apr 2003, 12:58 am »
What's all this subwoofer woofing?!?!  How are the Extreme's so far?!

Beez

KeithR

Xtreme's in da house!!!
« Reply #21 on: 25 Apr 2003, 01:17 am »
1 recommendation--

Your equipment rack needs to be moved, and your sound quality will be umpteen times better....i was shocked how much better things sound without a rack in the middle...

jcoat007

Xtreme's in da house!!!
« Reply #22 on: 25 Apr 2003, 06:33 pm »
Sorry about the delay in responding.  I have been working crazy hours and not had much of an opportunity to listen critically, or just casually for that matter.  I have had the Xtremes running 24x7 for a few days now, so they should really be opening up by now.  I must say they sounded real nice right out of the box.  

Mike, thanks for your response above.  Yes, I agree that they are very musical and not really suited for HT.  Personally I added the subs, because I was having a problem getting good imaging, soundstage and good bass all at the same time.  I figured that being able to set up my mains to get the best from them and then being able to place the subs for optimal bass would really be of benefit.  I was also intrigued to see what effect high passing the amps would have.  In theory it’s like a runner getting an extra set of lungs.  It just seems like everything would improve when the amps are not trying pump out the lower frequencies.  

I think I mentioned this before, but this is a new room, in a new house and I have not even started to play with placement.  In addition, I have been demoing the Criterions, which I am not that familiar with.  Last night (late) I put my Vandy 3A Sigs in service.  Tonight I plan on cranking some tunes with my familiar setup so that I will have a frame of reference to make comparisons.  

OK, Beezer, enough with the subs.  I should be able to post some impressions tomorrow.  

KeithR – I have been thinking about rack placement and wondering if being in the middle of the speakers is detrimental.  I am just such a symmetrical person, so I’m not sure I can handle the rack being off to the side.  Plus, moving the rack creates a whole bunch of speaker cable issues.  Maybe I can bring the mains further out into the room.  

BTW - This is the only forum where the word “rack” means something other than sweater kittens.  

BTW 2 - The minutes are going by very slowly.  Can’t wait to get home tonight.  Have a whole bunch of new vinyl.   :thumb:

Marbles

Huh, what?
« Reply #23 on: 25 Apr 2003, 06:55 pm »
Quote from: jcoat007
BTW - This is the only forum where the word “rack” means something other than sweater kittens.  

jcoat007

Xtreme's in da house!!!
« Reply #24 on: 25 Apr 2003, 08:56 pm »
Ahhhh - Sweater Kittens   :D

Thanks Marbles