Need advice and info on streaming.

witchdoctor

Re: Need advice and info on streaming.
« Reply #20 on: 9 Feb 2019, 10:58 pm »
Congrats Bsmooth, I had a similar experience as far as the SQ goes. Yes, you connected it properly using the "line in" from your receiver to the Gate and the "line out" from the Gate to your speakers. Once you get your Fire tablet you will be able to stream either way, with the line in or the wireless. I have been listening to a bunch of tracks and still can't get over how nice the DAC is in the Gate. No way did I expect it to sound better than the $500 Bluesound Node but I can't argue with my ears. Does it sound more "analog", like vinyl to you?

I have started to add more DTS Play_fi products around the house.

BTW, I know what you mean when you said you just couldn't stop listening, same here :)

Doublej

« Reply #21 on: 10 Feb 2019, 12:41 am »
Well I received the Klipsch Gate today. I don't have a great way to hook into my receiver, especailly since I am running mu Audioengine A5's out of my headphone output on the receiver.
So I unplugged my speakers from the headphone and used the Gate 1st coming out of the headphone output into the gate and used the out of the Gate to go to the speakers.
 I'm not sure If thats right, but thats how I did it.
 At first I did sime with and without the gate installed and I must admit at first i didn't notice anything. then I stopped doing a/B tests and just left it in. That was at 11:30 just before lunch. I was going to eat right afterwards. I just couldn't stop listening, I put on a few CD's. Dave Matthews Crash is one of my favorites, and I listened to it and it sounded pretty darn good, I also listened to  some Lame MP3's. I heard Love Reign O'er M by the who. The piano notes were almost startling coming out of the speakers. I'm sure you heard a veil was lifted, well this wasn't a veil, it was a blanket. Everything had more of an attack If thats the right term.
 I'f the DAC in the Gate is making all this difference, its amazing.
 Now If  this device which is definitely Cheap and Cheerful Hifi can make this much of a difference, now all I need is to get a Fire tablet and try the streaming as well.
Thanks very much witchdoctor for your help and very good advice! Also check out his mini review of this device.

When you say put on a few CDs, were you playing them in the Yamaha?

Bsmooth

• Bruce or Bsmooth
« Reply #22 on: 10 Feb 2019, 01:47 am »
Yes I put the CD's on in the Yamaha.Everything just sounds better.Its hard to explain why though. Its more open, but not harsh, its not a hit you over the head difference, maybe thats one of the reasons I listened so long. To be brutally honest, after only a few minutes I was ready to put it back in the box and send it back.
 Its a subtle difference, maybe your right witchdoctor, it might be its sounding a bit more analog, without the pops and cackles and constant wipes with Discwasher and brush.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #23 on: 10 Feb 2019, 12:43 pm »
A little bit on maybe why this unit sounds the way it does.
"A little bit to the right, you’ll find a Burr-Brown PCM5121 chip handling the digital-to-analog conversion of the digital signals. It possesses a charge pump generating a symmetrical negative voltage of its positive electrical supply in order to remove the coupling capacitors (leading to an extended response in the bass and no risk of coloration). It also doesn’t require post-filtering thanks to its advanced voltage segmenting architecture (which means a better musicality according to us by removing the active filters with operational amplifier using a very high feedback rate).

https://www.qobuz.com/ie-en/info/hi-fi/bancs-d-essai/klipsch-gate-a-streamer-with-great179353

apstoltz

« Reply #24 on: 10 Feb 2019, 01:31 pm »
So the Klipsch Gate does have a burr-brown dac? I am going to get a node 2i but may try that fat just for grins. I do have a Chromecast and was not that impressed...to me too much high end and siblance and sounded very digital per say.

witchdoctor

« Reply #25 on: 10 Feb 2019, 03:49 pm »
I find the SQ of the Gate better than the Node but have not checked out the newer 2i version. I think both OS work fine. If you are doing whole house audio the DTS Play-Fi ecosystem is much more flexible in term of choices. I found the unit gets even better after breaking in a while.

OzarkTom

« Reply #26 on: 10 Feb 2019, 04:43 pm »
I am thinking about a 2i also. Several reviews say the 2i is quite a bit better than the 2. I also like the ability to hook subs up. Does the Gate do that?

witchdoctor

« Reply #27 on: 10 Feb 2019, 04:59 pm »
I am thinking about a 2i also. Several reviews say the 2i is quite a bit better than the 2. I also like the ability to hook subs up. Does the Gate do that?

There is no sub out on the Gate. Klipsch does make an integrated amp called The Powergate which has a sub out and a lot of other features. It is part of the same wireless collection as the Gate. It's on Amazon for $299 ($999 MSRP) vs $499 for the Node2i. Here is a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ksk1e6lXAU

OzarkTom

« Reply #28 on: 10 Feb 2019, 06:50 pm »
Would you know which Class D amp they are using.? Most class D amps I do not like.

OzarkTom

« Reply #29 on: 10 Feb 2019, 10:33 pm »

witchdoctor

« Reply #30 on: 11 Feb 2019, 05:37 am »
Now $199 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-PowerGate-Amplified-Wireless-Gateway/dp/B01N0A7PH5

Not too many great reviews.

I was worried about reviews too when I bought the Gate and no problems here. I am finding the bad reviews are written by people who had trouble with the software which is why we are getting these low prices. I think for $25 or $30 it is well worth checking out.

I am using another Play-Fi amp in my desktop system, the Paradigm PW. I needed a power amp with a sub out, not an integrated amp like the Powergate. I already have a DAC and a pre in that system. I'll start another thread after I let it burn in a while.

« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2019, 01:33 pm by witchdoctor »

witchdoctor

« Reply #31 on: 14 Feb 2019, 03:48 pm »
Update- Quboz is available in the US starting today and if you own a Gate all you need to do is sign up for the service and you will be streaming in hirez 8)

witchdoctor

« Reply #32 on: 15 Feb 2019, 03:58 pm »
Now $199 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-PowerGate-Amplified-Wireless-Gateway/dp/B01N0A7PH5

Not too many great reviews.

Price dropped to $149 so I pulled the trigger on the Powergate, I'll post a review after it burns in. Bought the 4 year protection plan for $8 so I'll be covered just in case. :)

FWIW all products in the DTS Play-Fi ecosystem are hirez and Quboz ready.

Bsmooth

• Bruce or Bsmooth
« Reply #33 on: 19 Feb 2019, 02:53 pm »
Well finally I got my Kindle FireHD 8. After a few frustrating tried the software finally updated and I was all set to stream. My household has Amazon Prime, since my wife uses it for work all the time. So I don't have unlimited music but I do have about 2 million songs to pick from. I picked out a few songs and was almost blown out of the room by the volume, which is not the easiest to control, its very course and goes u quite quickly.
 I was going to try some of the others but kept getting a message about some sort of phone exchange or something like that, so I've held up using any different streamers till I found out what that means.
The sound isn't bad, but seems a tad bright to me, at least compared to some of the FLAC and MP3 files I have from ripping CD's

witchdoctor

« Reply #34 on: 19 Feb 2019, 03:08 pm »
Well finally I got my Kindle FireHD 8. After a few frustrating tried the software finally updated and I was all set to stream. My household has Amazon Prime, since my wife uses it for work all the time. So I don't have unlimited music but I do have about 2 million songs to pick from. I picked out a few songs and was almost blown out of the room by the volume, which is not the easiest to control, its very course and goes u quite quickly.
 I was going to try some of the others but kept getting a message about some sort of phone exchange or something like that, so I've held up using any different streamers till I found out what that means.
The sound isn't bad, but seems a tad bright to me, at least compared to some of the FLAC and MP3 files I have from ripping CD's

Hey Bsmooth, you can control the volume 2 ways. There is a slider in the app that you can control with a finger and there are volume buttons and a mute button on top of the gate.
That phone notification is in case you are using a phone device, you can disregard it with a kindle, just click OK and it won't pop up again. Watch this video on how to use the app. You will be able to stream your flac and mp3 files through the Gate NP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqNTCHKiong

Bsmooth

• Bruce or Bsmooth
« Reply #35 on: 19 Feb 2019, 05:24 pm »
Definitely feeling the enthusiasm again for listening to music, maybe its because I actually have a place to listen! Always had a great respect for Klipsch products, especially that Klipsch "sound" from the horn drivers.
 So now maybe I don't have klipsch speakers, but I sure have opened the Gate to my music that's for sure. Can't wait to try the other services.

chrshanl

« Reply #36 on: 19 Feb 2019, 06:08 pm »
Waiting for UPS to deliver mine today!

Bsmooth

• Bruce or Bsmooth
« Reply #37 on: 19 Feb 2019, 06:13 pm »
Yes its quite an unassuming little device, that seems to bring the magic back to music. Subtle at times, but still magic.

Brettio

« Reply #38 on: 19 Feb 2019, 06:52 pm »
I cannot wait for Thursday when my Gate arrives. 

Thank you all again, especially witchdoctor, for sharing your time, knowledge, and recommendations. 

Brett

annamarykahn

« Reply #39 on: 19 Feb 2019, 07:24 pm »
can anyone compare the sound quality of the klipsch to using an amazon echo for streaming?