Conversation Starter - How Loud Do You Listen To Music?

Desertpilot

• Retired
This topic was prompted by a YouTube video by Steve Guttenberg, Audiophiliac.  For truly REALISTIC sound, MUSIC should be REALISTICALLY LOUD!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuv1LbV6iEo.

He talks about amplifier power, speaker efficiency, music choices, concerts and home listening.  Just for fun, I used my handheld dB meter to find out my preference.  I listen to classical.  A typical violin concerto, I averaged 70 dB with dips to 55 dB and highs up to 85 dB.  For a full orchestra symphony, I was typically around 85 dB with dips to 70 dB and during the final crescendo, it went up to 92 dB.  That about as loud as I ever get.  I sit 10 feet back from my speakers.  It was a fun exercise.

How about you?

RonN5

Re: Conversation Starter - How Loud Do You Listen To Music?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Sep 2022, 05:10 pm »
Using my phone with the Sound Analyzer Lite app set to Z and fast… I am 80 db peaks or less 90% of the time… on the rare occasion that I “turn it up”… never over 85db.

Scott Joplin

« Reply #2 on: 3 Sep 2022, 05:19 pm »
Hi,

I think for meaningful comparisons we need to decide on a "standard", a phone app seems a good idea, but which one?

Tangram

« Reply #3 on: 3 Sep 2022, 06:03 pm »
I listen at between 75 and 85 db, A-weighted. I think this is louder than many audiophiles listen these days, but "back in the day" 85 db was the recommended level. I recall seeing a video in which Bob Ludwig mentioned he masters at 85 db.

That said, a lot of room problems can be solved by turning the volume down.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #4 on: 3 Sep 2022, 06:26 pm »
I have two apps on my iphone 13, the NIOSH app, as well as db meter. They both give the same reading when I check them so I feel pretty confident. My listening is around 70db a-weighted with peaks rarely over 75db.

It's also helpful to know how quiet your room is when checking your listening levels. My stereo is in a very quiet basement room where I get a-weighted levels between 24-26db depending on time of day.

edit: My mainstay is singer song write type music with an acoustic setting. With this type of music my goal is to have the singers sound as if the they are in the room. The volume doesn't need to be any higher than a normal singing level.

I rarely listen to rock type music, but when I do, I tend to crank it a bit.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #5 on: 3 Sep 2022, 06:27 pm »
This is always a good fun discussion to have. Loud volume brings enjoyment but damages hearing over sustained long periods. Where's the fine line to walk? I'm in the usual 85db average A weighted on a phone app, but when I want to give it the juice I kick it up another 10db for fun. The idea of rock concerts must be concert level goes out the window for things like Rage Against The Machine or Motorhead when their concerts are +130db. F-that. Turn the subs up a click or two and keep it at 100-105 and it's more than enough.

That brings another point, most of our systems are a smoother, flatter frequency response than a concert. The idea to "feel it" like you're there means to crank your subs til they mostly overpower the bottom end, grab a jar of cumin from the spice rack to get the B.O. smell of sweaty concert hall. There are a few bits of "realism" I'm willing to keep as special occasions. Just my $0.02.

Mr. Big

« Reply #6 on: 3 Sep 2022, 06:46 pm »
I use my 2 ears and when a recording locks in, it is easy to hear, after that you ruin it if too loud or soft. Peter Walker said it best, every recording has a correct volume where it will sound its best.

Overdrive your room then you hear distortion and sound bouncing around your room.  Train your ear by listening, and as a musician said to me once play the music as if that person or instrument was in your room, no more no less that is about what Peter Walker said who design the world-famous Quad Electrostatic speakers.
« Last Edit: 3 Sep 2022, 08:02 pm by Mr. Big »

Scott Joplin

« Reply #7 on: 3 Sep 2022, 06:54 pm »
It's also helpful to know how quiet your room is when checking your listening levels. My stereo is in a very quiet basement room where I get a-weighted levels between 24-26db depending on time of day.

I like listening late at night when it's quiet, I find I can keep turning the volume down and hearing more detail as I do.

dpatters

« Reply #8 on: 3 Sep 2022, 08:36 pm »
As loud as I feel like listening at that particular time. I don’t measure.

Don P

Mag

« Reply #9 on: 3 Sep 2022, 09:12 pm »
   I'm an oddball. Although my average listening level has come down. When I'm rockin' out I'm listening at approx. 92 db to 95 db A weighted, 95 db to 100 db C weighted.

The A scale doesn't tell me the bass output of your system. C weighted gives me a better idea because I know the power it takes to produce 100 db C weighted. :smoke:

Daryl Zero

« Reply #10 on: 3 Sep 2022, 10:05 pm »
Probably about 60dbs + or - according to the app on my phone. I'm not sure if the app is correct because if someone comes into the room it's hard to hear them talk. I usually have a rule of thumb that I try to listen to music at a volume that I can still hear myself talk even if barely. I played garage rock music in a few bands and used ear plugs so I was always conscious of trying to keep my hearing. I can still hear fairly quiet stuff although I've lost a lot of upper frequencies.

charmerci

« Reply #11 on: 3 Sep 2022, 10:51 pm »
As loud as I feel like listening at that particular time. I don’t measure.

Don P

I use a phone app (db Sound Meter) for audio comparisons -like, do these two IC's (or whatever) sound different?
« Last Edit: 4 Sep 2022, 07:55 am by charmerci »

listenermark

« Reply #12 on: 3 Sep 2022, 11:20 pm »
I just purchased a Galaxy Audio Check Mate CM-140 SPL Meter to find out where I was really at in my room (I have tinnitus and don't wish to make it worse.)  A-weighted I'm normally in the low 70's.

rodge827

« Reply #13 on: 3 Sep 2022, 11:39 pm »
Depends on mood and music but usually measure in the 75-85 range.

SET Man

« Reply #14 on: 4 Sep 2022, 12:07 am »
Hey!

I don't use Spatial Audio, can I still join in?  :wink: Anyway, in my 10'X17' and 8' ceiling, sitting about 10.5' away from my speaker. Using my Radio Shack analog SPL meter, I average about 86-88dB peak most of the time. I do sometime want to go a bit louder but don't want to drive my landlord crazy, he is right below me! :icon_lol:

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #15 on: 4 Sep 2022, 09:24 pm »
Using an old Radio Shack SPL meter I generally am listening at 65 to 72 C weighted Average.
For all types of music except Opera. which can have peaks up to 90 DB Even though the general level is also around 65 to 72 DB.
The previous Apt building manager (of eleven years) said he never heard music coming from my apartment. Even though I am playing music all day long, every day.
I have Magnepan 20.7 speakers.

Oddly When I drive I never listen to anything, except the road/tires and the car suspension and engine/exhaust, wind noise and other external noise.  Generally the tire/road is the major factor

kmmd

• 5 mos.= My VAC is back - now silver w/phono
    • Systems
« Reply #16 on: 4 Sep 2022, 09:39 pm »

EDIT:  Measurement taken at the Alicia Keys concert in SF last night. 5th row floor.  :lol:

At home, I typically listen between 60 - 75dB.  However my new speakers are coming Wednesday, so we’ll see…

Charles Xavier

« Reply #17 on: 4 Sep 2022, 10:42 pm »

EDIT:  Measurement taken at the Alicia Keys concert in SF last night. 5th row floor.  :lol:

At home, I typically listen between 60 - 75dB.  However my new speakers are coming Wednesday, so we’ll see…

The Who hold the world record of the loudest concert at 126db.

I try to beat them

DaveWin88

« Reply #18 on: 4 Sep 2022, 10:49 pm »
The Who hold the world record of the loudest concert at 126db.

I try to beat them
I seen UFO back in the day and that was their claim to fame. Worse show I've ever seen. The entire crowd literally had their ears covered :)

Daryl Zero

« Reply #19 on: 5 Sep 2022, 01:45 am »
I saw John Cale in a nightclub and stupidly stood by a PA stack.