Bryston SP3 4K passthru

jklowan

Re: Bryston SP3 4K passthru
« Reply #40 on: 4 Mar 2018, 01:13 pm »
Hoping that isn't the case, why would I turn the TV on to listen to music. I guess the balanced outputs are there, just seems odd. So the TV has to be on for DVD-A or SACD playback? Gonna play today so we shall see

dminches

« Reply #41 on: 4 Mar 2018, 01:34 pm »
HDMI is the last "interface" I would use for digital audio.  Any of the others would sound better.

jklowan

« Reply #42 on: 4 Mar 2018, 02:03 pm »
that's why I have them, this is about the sig other, trying to simplify the act so she can watch dvd's and play cd's by selecting the dvd button. thanks

WillyP

« Reply #43 on: 4 Mar 2018, 02:49 pm »
Hoping that isn't the case, why would I turn the TV on to listen to music. I guess the balanced outputs are there, just seems odd. So the TV has to be on for DVD-A or SACD playback? Gonna play today so we shall see

My former AV processor always locked on the input signal when HDMI was used. The SP3 first locks on the output signal (to the TV) and then on the input signal (from the Blu-ray player for example). This works for me every time; when the TV is off there is no sound because the SP3 won't lock. For DVD-A and SACD, you have to use the HDMI connection or alternatively the multi-channel output. Welcome to the world of HDMI.

Willy

jklowan

« Reply #44 on: 4 Mar 2018, 03:04 pm »
so do I need to set the device so it defaults to the rca inputs for dvda or sacd playback or will it find that on it's own?

WillyP

« Reply #45 on: 4 Mar 2018, 03:09 pm »
I don't use the multi-channel output, but normally when you have chosen your settings for the first time the SP3 remembers it for the next times that you choose the input.

Willy

hipp

« Reply #46 on: 4 Dec 2018, 05:14 am »
I need some help with HDMI passthru and Apple TV 4K.

Equipment:  LG oled 6e.  Apple 4ktv. Brand new SP3. Apple TV set to 4K HDR. Chroma 4:2:2. Match content range & frame rate on. Switching from SDR to HDR and DV 30hz and back works seamlessly when the Apple TV is connected directly to the LG tv. It is quick and no flicker.

However passing through HDMI input on SP3 Results in a sporadic handshake and therefore, more often than not, no picture. Switching from a movie in SDR back to the HDR results in HDR logo appearing but a black screen. Sometimes just switching on the SP3 and Apple TV results in no handshake with LG tv. Dolby Vision 30hz actually works once the handshake is complete. BUT the only way to get the picture is to leave Apple TV on SP3 on and toggle the LG tv off then on. And this is not always a fix. It can take 5 minutes of fiddling with the sources and components to get the picture displaying on the LG tv. The picture is perfect when ithe SP3 completes the handshake but the SP3 HDMI board cannot seem to cope with changing range and frame rates. It almost seems too slow as the HDMI led indicator goes red then blue then red and again blue. Even switching the LG tv off and on can still result in no picture as the handshake fails. I have tried all 4 HDMI settings in the Setup. No real difference. And I’ve tried changing the Apple TV parameters. Nothing fixes this handshaking problem.
I wondered if anyone has a similar issue as I do. Any suggestions or help would be very much appreciated.
Otherwise I will have to use a splitter sending the video directly to the LG tv and the audio to the SP3 which if it actually even works, defeats the whole purpose of using the SP3 as an HDMI switcher.
I would imagine the SP4 would have the same HDMI board and since that is designed specifically for home theatre an Apple 4K tv would be quite a common video source used with that Processor.
 HELP.
Howard

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #47 on: 4 Dec 2018, 11:37 am »
I need some help with HDMI passthru and Apple TV 4K.

Equipment:  LG oled 6e.  Apple 4ktv. Brand new SP3. Apple TV set to 4K HDR. Chroma 4:2:2. Match content range & frame rate on. Switching from SDR to HDR and DV 30hz and back works seamlessly when the Apple TV is connected directly to the LG tv. It is quick and no flicker.

However passing through HDMI input on SP3 Results in a sporadic handshake and therefore, more often than not, no picture. Switching from a movie in SDR back to the HDR results in HDR logo appearing but a black screen. Sometimes just switching on the SP3 and Apple TV results in no handshake with LG tv. Dolby Vision 30hz actually works once the handshake is complete. BUT the only way to get the picture is to leave Apple TV on SP3 on and toggle the LG tv off then on. And this is not always a fix. It can take 5 minutes of fiddling with the sources and components to get the picture displaying on the LG tv. The picture is perfect when ithe SP3 completes the handshake but the SP3 HDMI board cannot seem to cope with changing range and frame rates. It almost seems too slow as the HDMI led indicator goes red then blue then red and again blue. Even switching the LG tv off and on can still result in no picture as the handshake fails. I have tried all 4 HDMI settings in the Setup. No real difference. And I’ve tried changing the Apple TV parameters. Nothing fixes this handshaking problem.
I wondered if anyone has a similar issue as I do. Any suggestions or help would be very much appreciated.
Otherwise I will have to use a splitter sending the video directly to the LG tv and the audio to the SP3 which if it actually even works, defeats the whole purpose of using the SP3 as an HDMI switcher.
I would imagine the SP4 would have the same HDMI board and since that is designed specifically for home theatre an Apple 4K tv would be quite a common video source used with that Processor.
 HELP.
Howard

Hi Howard

Please email Mike at Bryston with your question.

mpickett@bryston.com

I think

james

hipp

« Reply #48 on: 4 Dec 2018, 11:50 pm »
Hi James
I came to see Mike with my Apple TV 4K on Monday to try and solve this problem. We spent time together and he made notes  however we could not emulate the issue as the TV in the room did not accept 4K 60hz HDR. The problem only occurs with the HDR and switching SDR to HDR and starting up with HDR as the Apple TV is configured.
I can clearly see that the SP3 immediately handshakes (blue led) picture flashes up, switches away (red led), loses picture, switches back to HDMI (blue led) but will now not display.

I wondered if any other SP3 or even SP4 users with Apple 4K tv had the same issue. It would be helpful input.

Thanks

Howard

derekcooper

« Reply #49 on: 26 Jan 2021, 01:30 pm »
I wondered if any other SP3 or even SP4 users with Apple 4K tv had the same issue. It would be helpful input.

Did you ever get this resolved Howard?

Just upgraded my SP3 board: HSR82T, Assy rev: C, uC REV: 50-29

Can get an HDR handshake but not Dolby Vision. My LG OLED will handshake with my Apple TV and my Blu-Ray no problem.

Will try some other things today but I'm guessing the board isn't fast enough to lock with Dolby Vision?