Your ultimate audio system...

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
Your ultimate audio system...
« on: 22 Oct 2010, 10:48 pm »
You have just won a mega-lottery or you wake-up in the morning to find out that an alien spacecraft has just beamed your wife’s PT Cruiser from the face of the earth. Gleefully smiling, you immediately realize that this vehicle will no longer suck the financial life-blood out of you because you do not have to maintain it, or keep the tank full of gasoline.

What audio system would you purchase?

:drool:

Be well...

John Casler

Re: Your ultimate audio system...
« Reply #1 on: 23 Oct 2010, 12:42 am »
You have just won a mega-lottery or you wake-up in the morning to find out that an alien spacecraft has just beamed your wife’s PT Cruiser from the face of the earth. Gleefully smiling, you immediately realize that this vehicle will no longer suck the financial life-blood out of you because you do not have to maintain it, or keep the tank full of gasoline.

What audio system would you purchase?

:drool:

Be well...

Well the MegaMillion Lottery, which I will win this evening,  :thumb: is $111 million so this might fit into the budget

BRYSTON/VMPS    STONE HENGE Stereo and Multichannel AUDIO System

Source 1) RIPNAS (Ripper/HD with IPAD for controller)

Source 2) BCD-1 (Redbook CD's)

Source 3) OPPO BDP-95 NuFORCE EDITION (DVD,Bluray,SACD,DVD-A, MULTICHANNEL, and Streaming of Internet Radio) coming soon

SERVER) BDP-1 coming soon

DAC) BDA-1

2 Channel PREAMP) BP26

MultiChannel PREAMP) SP3  (for Multichannel control) coming soon

MAIN L,C,&R Speakers)   VMPS RM50 OMG Modded x3

AMPS) 28bSST2 Monoblocs x3

SIDE and REAR SURROUNDS) VMPS RM50 OMG Modded x4

AMPS) 28bSST2 Monoblocs x4

SUBS) 4 VMPS OMG VLA  (2 flanking Mains and 2 behind listening position "reverse phase")

SUB AMPS) 28bSST2 Monoblocs x3

SUB XO LP Filters) 10B Pro

Wiring CABLE) ALL AudioQuest WEL Signature Series level

I think that about does it for MUSIC ROOM 1 (I would have a separate Home Theater since the Acoustic Treatments and Room design would be different) :green:

pjg66

« Reply #2 on: 23 Oct 2010, 12:44 am »
Frankly, my friend, I would just keep what I currently own - two systems, neither having an audio component newer than 10 years old.  But they both consistently satisfy.

As you get older, you really do realize that the never ending chase for audio nirvana is a dead-end.  Better to be satisfied with what you have and just enjoy the music.

If I won the lottery, I would much prefer to set up a "last resort" haven for homeless dogs and cats, to make their lives on this earth better.  I tell you, sitting listening to music with a dog curled up at your side is worth more than owning any of the newest high-end audio equipment.

Sorry if this reply doesn't follow the intent of your question.

Laundrew

« Reply #3 on: 23 Oct 2010, 02:58 am »

If I won the lottery, I would much prefer to set up a "last resort" haven for homeless dogs and cats, to make their lives on this earth better. 

A most noble Sentiment  :thumb:

Dogs do enjoy good music from a quality audio system. When I received a phone call that my Bryston amplifiers were ready for pick-up, Hector overheard this conversation and he was so happy, he raced over to the audio store so he could be the first one to sniff the new amplifiers.

:D

Be well...

V

« Reply #4 on: 23 Oct 2010, 11:07 am »
My ultimate system:

Speakers*: JBL Everest (or K2, I will find out soon)
CD player: Cambridge Audio 740C
Amplifier*: Bryston 4B SST2
Pre-amplifier*: Bryston BP-26
DAC: Benchmark DAC1 (I already own it)
Head-fi: Sennheiser HD 800 (I already own it)
Cables: Extremely cheap cables (since there is no audible differences).

* Indicates it will probably be realised some day (will take years, though).

V

« Reply #5 on: 23 Oct 2010, 11:15 am »
Frankly, my friend, I would just keep what I currently own - two systems, neither having an audio component newer than 10 years old.  But they both consistently satisfy.

As you get older, you really do realize that the never ending chase for audio nirvana is a dead-end.  Better to be satisfied with what you have and just enjoy the music.

If I won the lottery, I would much prefer to set up a "last resort" haven for homeless dogs and cats, to make their lives on this earth better.  I tell you, sitting listening to music with a dog curled up at your side is worth more than owning any of the newest high-end audio equipment.

Nice post. Do you have any pets ?  Pictures?

V

« Reply #6 on: 23 Oct 2010, 11:17 am »
The VMPS RM50's reminds me of Infinity IRS Beta (or was it Omega?). The Inifinity's were great.

Napalm

« Reply #7 on: 23 Oct 2010, 12:17 pm »
Lottery?

Here the ultimate realistic sound unbeatable bass (especially when you just pull through Mach 3):

Nap.  :P

Laundrew

« Reply #8 on: 23 Oct 2010, 12:56 pm »
Lottery?

lot·ter·y   

lot·ter·y [lóttəree]
(plural lot·ter·ies)
n
1.  gambling game: a large-scale gambling game, usually organized to raise money for a public cause, in which numbered tickets are sold and a draw is held to select the winning numbers 
2.  situation where outcome depends on chance: an activity, situation, or enterprise with an outcome dependent on chance 

[Mid-16th century. Probably < Dutch loterij < lot "lot" < Germanic]

:P :wink: :D

Be well...

KeithA

« Reply #9 on: 23 Oct 2010, 02:28 pm »
Lottery?

Here the ultimate realistic sound unbeatable bass (especially when you just pull through Mach 3):

Nap.  :P

...and being Russian, that vintage, etc..........it likely has tubes in it as well  :wink:

Ah yes, the Mig 25 (or even more so the Mig 29), what the Russians did with old technology and no fly-by-wire was simply amazing.

Keith

John Casler

« Reply #10 on: 23 Oct 2010, 02:35 pm »
The VMPS RM50's reminds me of Infinity IRS Beta (or was it Omega?). The Inifinity's were great.

Ah yes, back in "the day", I lusted after that system.  Actually the VMPS system that is more similar (down to the separate bass tower) is the RM v60.

V

« Reply #11 on: 23 Oct 2010, 03:02 pm »

The story in the link is tragic and beautiful at the same time (the outcome for the persons trying to save the dogs life is tragic, but their love of the dog is beautiful):
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1322722/Best-friends-drown-trying-save-pet-dog-freezing-river.html?ITO=1490

1oldguy

« Reply #12 on: 23 Oct 2010, 04:00 pm »
One that gets the job done without breaking the bank or getting my neighbors upset...after that the sky is the limit.

1ZIP

« Reply #13 on: 23 Oct 2010, 06:50 pm »
I'd keep the system I have.  I'd be so busy spending $$'s I would not have time to listen to any system, let alone a new one! :)

Laundrew

« Reply #14 on: 25 Oct 2010, 01:56 am »
I would definitely stay with my current BP26 and 28B SST ² amplifiers. The new speakers would be JBL Everest and an Esoteric X-01 SACD/CD player. Keep it simple  :D

Be well…

pjg66

« Reply #15 on: 25 Oct 2010, 04:29 am »
A most noble Sentiment  :thumb:

Dogs do enjoy good music from a quality audio system. When I received a phone call that my Bryston amplifiers were ready for pick-up, Hector overheard this conversation and he was so happy, he raced over to the audio store so he could be the first one to sniff the new amplifiers.

:D

Be well...

Hector does look kind of fierce, but I'm sure he is a sweet fellow.

And such good taste in audio.  Like the rest of us, he appreciates the wonderful Bryston amps.

My Great Pyrenees Deepo (whom we rescued from the Gulf Coast) has similar good taste.  He loves being curled up on the floor in front of the speakers, letting the music just flow over him.

Is there anything more wondrous than having an intimate bond with another wondrous species?

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #16 on: 25 Oct 2010, 06:12 am »
Laundrew,PJG 66 summed it up perfectly,and your question is great also! I could name all the most exspensive stuff from Stereophile or Absolute Sound,or whats more fun as you get older,the stuff you can learn to fix up from yester year like a Scott tuner...so her's my faves.....1.The white radio on Gilligans Island....2.The radio in the movie with Robert Denero and Cuba Gooding called (Men of Honor),if you saw the movie,it was a scrapped together battery powered something or other,but it played music and used tubes.3.A Heathkit AA-32 integrated amp that I remember my father had built,he passed away long ago,but I found one on e-bay and can't part with it even though the specs are not that good...tubes,Mullard,1964.As JPG 66 implied,I seem to be chasing equipment,and not taking time to listen to the music...remember,there's no luggage rack on a hearse,and even Billy Joel said something in one of his songs about a cheap pair of speakers being more fun than the latter.....Mark Korda(mark.korda@myfairpoint.net)

SwedeSound

« Reply #17 on: 25 Oct 2010, 12:08 pm »
To the posters who wouldn't change a thing in their system or be happy with something modest... That's about as fun as the guy who wins the lottery and says he's going to keep his job, live in the same house and drive his same crappy car. Not only should they not WIN the lottery in the first place -- they shouldn't even PLAY! :)

But if I won... Hmm... I'm dreaming about the Magico Mini II's ($30,000 or so) because I'm a sucker for two-way monitors that make you ask "where's the sub?" The choices are too numerous to mention... but worth mentioning. Come on, people. Spend some fake money!

Jason

sfraser

« Reply #18 on: 25 Oct 2010, 02:05 pm »
Hmmm a pair of PMC BB5 XBD's  powered by 8 Bryston 28B's sourced via a Bryston BP26/DAC and a Logitech Transporter. All XLR interconnects supplied by Bryston or Digiflex. All speaker cable provided by Home Depot. The sound room would be professionally designed and sound proofed and built above my new (Hey I won lottery remember?) 8 car garage/workshop. It would be the size of a small club, and would also be equipped to accommodate bands, who would be welcome to use the house system (minus the BB5's :) ).

1ZIP

« Reply #19 on: 25 Oct 2010, 02:45 pm »
Probably have two listening rooms, one all Bryston with a pair of B&W 800's and another devoted to McIntosh (It's the meters :)).  But first some top notch legal and tax folks, then one of these:

http://www.hawkerbeechcraft.com/beechcraft/king_air_c90gtx/

Followed by a couple of these (rescues of course):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq5TN0U-twk

Then again...maybe the dogs first.