Super 3 XRS Bipole Speculation

DRCope

• Industry Participant
  • Wand 14-4 ‘table, wand arm, Dynavector, Pure Audio
    • Old Forge Audio
Super 3 XRS Bipole Speculation
« on: 20 Jan 2007, 10:16 pm »
Louis,

IF there were to be a Super 3 XRS BiPole, what would happen to the dimensions? Would you double the depth? Increase all dimensions until you reach double the volume? Or??? I think you said something about trying this, but I can't find it, I'm not sure you even said anything, and if you did, I don't think it got into specifics . . .

If the super 3 XRS are 27H x 11W x 7.5D, that's 2127.5 cu in. I'm assuming, (and we all know how well that works!), that twice the volume would be required, so 29h x 13.25w x 11d would get you there plus a bit, (to offset additional driver volume? to avoid spec'ing measurements to the 1/10"?) This is working with outside measurements on the back of a cocktail napkin, of course, but I just find the idea of such a speaker so attractive I can't help myself. I have a pair of the Fostex drivers and a pair of Coral or somesuch equivalent drivers with alnico magnets. If I could cut straight, I'd entertain myself by building a test mule box instead of displaying my ignorance here, but I can't, so here I am . . . .  :oops:

Dave

ZLS

Re: Super 3 XRS Bipole Speculation
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2007, 05:33 am »
aa   I am fortunate enough to posses s Super 3R Bipole with the 5" Hemptone Drivers.  I too have been bugging Louis about a Bipole Hemptone XRS.  While my speakers are breaking in, I can state unequivocally that I am getting the same bass response in my room (long and narrow) as I was with the Omega Revolutions.  The Revolutions have an 8" Visaton B200 Driver.  So, the question arises that will the Bipole XRS be too much of a good thing?  I know Louis is making a prototype that will fit on the same stands as the Revolutions.  According to the specs, the Revolutions go 16 Hz lower, but I can't hear it.  Is it the room, is it my hearing, is it the Hempcone, is it the Dipole configuration, or the favorite all of the above.  I don't know.  What I do know is that the speakers driven by the RWA Sig 30 throw such a solid image that not only do I feel that I can go up and push against it, I just know it would push back! 
    I hope this has been helpful.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jan 2007, 06:06 am »
Hi,

I own the Super 3 Bipoles v.1 so I hope that you keep posting the progress of the break-in of your  Bipoles since I will probably switch out the Fostex's in favor of the Hemps. I wonder how the XRS Bipoles would differ in sound from the original Super 3 Bipoles? I find that my speakers do have  unexpectedly good bass response despite having only 4 1/2" drivers. I think that the good bass is a combination of the Bipole configuration, the use of two drivers and , of course, Louis's craftsmanship and design.

Raja
« Last Edit: 21 Jan 2007, 06:36 am by rajacat »

DRCope

• Industry Participant
    • Old Forge Audio
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jan 2007, 05:15 pm »
So, with the Revolution being 15" wide and 10.5" deep, that would call for a height of 27" in an Super 3 XRS Bipole to get to the same volume (based on externals only). That's really exciting, because . . .

it's not just bass, it's the added efficiency, and as the baffle gets larger, the baffle step response changes, which would likely enrich the lower midrange response within the overall balance . . . .

Louis - What efficiency are you getting with the 4.5" hemp driver in the XRS? I know it'll be down some, but I don't know how much . . .

Louis O

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jan 2007, 04:26 pm »
Hi DRCope,

Thanks and I'm still tweaking the size of the XRS bipoles and I have to take the sand filled portion of the XRS in consideration in regards to the overall size. I will be doubling the box volume of the XRS minus the sand filled chamber. This bipole version will have separate sand filled pedestal a lot like the Max Hemps. If I had it built in it would be too heavy and cost too much in shipping. The 4-piece approach works better in this regard.

The hemp sensitivity is much like the Fostex and break in is pretty long as well.

Hi ZLS,

Many thanks for being the first to try the bipole hemps in the old configuration. I will get the XRS versions all set up very soon.

Knowing what the XRSs can do and the new drivers I will definitly say the bass will be very powerful, but too much of a good thing. The speaker has to be further away from the rear wall and they will blend in the room without any problems. The hemp cone has the transparency and midrange only the hemp can do and this is a big plus over the Fostex. The motor is also stronger and I have more Xmax as well. One of the best attributes of using Hemp as a cone material is its ability to not break up like paper cones and they play much cleaner. The Tone Tubby cone is almost 100% and not a blend of just 10% as most people do.

Hi Raja,

Many thanks and you will hear a difference for sure. The hemp drivers can handle more complex material as well. I heard a big difference in the quality of the bass and the midrange is the amazing.

Hi DRCope,

You're right about the larger baffle and the step response in this design. I get 93 out of the 4.5" hemps just as before.

Thanks again,
Louis

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #5 on: 1 Feb 2007, 02:02 am »
I'm with you guys... I want a Hemp Super 3 XRS Bipole!

I just posted some brief impressions of the Super 3 XRS (with new 4.5" hemp cone) that I heard the other day:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=35524.msg325803#msg325803

These drivers sound nothin' like the Fostex.. they are at a whole new level and I never heard a 4.5" wide band driver sound this BIG.  I mentioned to Louis that a Hemp Super 3 XRS Bipole would be killer... especially if he were to make a cabinet along the lines of the Max Hemp cabinet (with sand filled base), but turned sideways.  This way, you get the width of the Super 3 XRS, but more depth needed for the Bipole design.  Add a dividing chamber inside, precision port each side, add the binding post plate that allows you to set it for 4 or 16 ohm, and now you're cooking with gas!:flame: 

After hearing what the new 4.5" hemps in the XRS can do, I NEED to hear an XRS Bipole (wired in 4-ohm) with the Sig 70s!!! :hyper:

Louis, keep us all posted,

Vinnie

ZLS

« Reply #6 on: 1 Feb 2007, 05:44 am »
:drool:   Right now I am listening to a Super 3 Bipole with the 4 1/2 HempTone drivers being driven by the RWA Sig 30.  Vinnie is right in describing the sound as full and juicy.  I think of the late Harvey (Gizmo) Rosenberg who would wax rhapsodic about the sound of certain equipment.  The Bipole speakers are amazing, the drivers take it completely over the top.  The sound that comes out of a 4 1/2 driver seems to defy the laws of physics; in fact it approaches the metaphysical.  If the driver existed 50 years ago Rod Serling would have done a Twilight Zone episode on it! 
    Louis has promised me that when he is finished building the cabinet for the Bipole XRS I can send him my Super 3 Bipole and he will put the Hemptone Drivers in the new speaker.  Then, all I have to do is rob a bank so I can afford to buy them.  Everytime I turn around Louis keeps building better and better speakers; I don't know whether to congratulate him or get angry at him. 
    The first components i bought off of the Internet were the Omega Super 3 R's (with Fostex Drivers) and a RWA Dual Mono Clari-T.  As good as those components sounded, and they sounded damn good, The Sig 30 and Hemptone Bipoles simply kick their ass.  Can you imagine what's going to come next? 
    I am so enamoured of the Bipole sound with the Hemptone drivers that I am going to sell my Omega Revolutions (B200 Driver).  I love, love the Omega Revolutions, but sometimes you have to say goodbye to Jennifer so you can say hello to Angeli.  Life's a bitch that way. 

P.S. The Tone Tubby Hemp speaker's reproduction of guitar music will give you an Orgasm!!

bprice2

« Reply #7 on: 1 Feb 2007, 08:03 pm »
ZLS,

Looky here pal, I don't need you tempting me with such things. :nono:  Nor do I need Louis dangling low hanging "juicy" fruit in my face.  Just kidding.  8)

Oh God, I wish I had the money right now!  I talked to Louis a couple of weeks ago and while he quoted a very modest (IMO) cost on equipping my Super 3 Bipoles with 2 pairs of 4.5" hemps, I just can't afford it right now.  :(  Oh well, I guess I'll just have to keep slumming it with the Fostex drivers for now.   :wink:

BTW, it looks like we have very similar systems (same speakers and amp).  If you care to rub it in some more, please go right ahead.  Thanks for your comments on the drivers.  aa

Brett

Louis O

« Reply #8 on: 17 Feb 2007, 09:44 pm »
Hi Vinnie, ZLS and Brett,

Many thanks for all your great input about the XRS bipoles and the 4.5" hemp drivers. The speakers is taking shape right now and they will be in a MAX hemp sized cabinet. I still have adhered to the separate chamber construction of the earlier BPCs and have upgraded the binding posts and wiring on the new version. The added volume and the tuning have changes. The speakers still are a wide baffle design, but look more traditional. They will come in a 4 piece set with pedestals. More to come when they are finished and they are going to be at the Montreal show powered by the RWA Sig 70's.

Thanks again,
Louis

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 19 Feb 2007, 03:36 am »
More to come when they are finished and they are going to be at the Montreal show powered by the RWA Sig 70's.

This is going to be killer... just wire 'em for for a 4-ohm load so we can draw 70 watts out of the Sig 70s (with the 96dB bipoles, when wired in 4-ohm)!!!  :drool:

I have to quote ZLS regarding the 4.5" hemp bipoles:
Oh my goodness, it's like biting into a ripe sweet orange and having all that juice dribbling down your chin!
  :green:

I can't wait for these, with matching Sig 70 enclosures.  I'll take mahogany  :hyper:

-Vinnie

Dmason

« Reply #10 on: 19 Feb 2007, 04:46 am »
 :o

Hits all the right buttons.

Louis O

« Reply #11 on: 1 Mar 2007, 12:47 am »
Hi Vinnie,

I should have the XRS Bipoles done by next week and can't wait to fire them up with the Sig 70s. Matching mahogany Bipoles and Sig 70 monoblocks.

Thanks again,
Louis

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 3 Mar 2007, 06:24 pm »
Hi Vinnie,

I should have the XRS Bipoles done by next week and can't wait to fire them up with the Sig 70s. Matching mahogany Bipoles and Sig 70 monoblocks.

Thanks again,
Louis

I CAN'T WAIT!  :drool:  :drool:  :drool:  :drool:

I'll burn everything in for the Montreal Show (April), and the Stereophile show in NYC in May!

I'll post pics and impressions once I get these fired up!

Thanks for making this happen,

Vinnie

DRCope

• Industry Participant
    • Old Forge Audio
« Reply #13 on: 5 Mar 2007, 12:22 am »
Man, oh man, the party is about to begin . . .   :lol:  aa  :P

I'm so glad I saw that you're doing Stereophile in May, and that S'phile doesn't conflict with Lone Star in TX the week before. This saves me from having to go to Montreal just to check out the new Omega & Red Wine monster goodies!

Louis O

« Reply #14 on: 19 Mar 2007, 11:56 pm »
Hi Dave,

Me too and it's been about three years since I did Stereophile. Being in NYC makes it even easier for me. I will have the Bipoles and the Sig 70s. Can't wait for you to hear the speakers.

Talk to you soon,
Louis