XRS for $600 or early A8 for $850?

Canyoneagle

XRS for $600 or early A8 for $850?
« on: 6 Oct 2006, 06:01 pm »
Hey, I just came across several Omega listings at Audiogon, two of which have me considering a purchase.
One is a set of XRS in maple for about $600
The other is what appears to be an early version of the A8 (with stands) for $850.

I plan to end up with the RWA sig 30, and my wife and I love a variety of music, with a focus on acoustic (folk and jazz), world, ambient DJ, and some alternative/classic rock.

Does anyone have any input? Or did I just screw my chances of buying them due to the inevitable stampede to Audiogon!!!  :lol:

Cheers,
Michael

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Re: XRS for $600 or early A8 for $850?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Oct 2006, 06:15 pm »
Or did I just screw my chances of buying them due to the inevitable stampede to Audiogon!!!  :lol:

Cheers,
Michael

Yes,

I just bought both pairs.  8)

I am just kidding.  You and I seem to be on a same quest for single driver speakers.  I have been reading up on them so I can ask pertinent questions and requests to Louis when I call him up.  I would think you can get the A8 and replace Visaton 200B drivers with hemp drivers if Louis will sell just the replacement drivers.   Good luck.
« Last Edit: 6 Oct 2006, 06:36 pm by woodsyi »

Brad

« Reply #2 on: 6 Oct 2006, 06:24 pm »
The current hemp drivers are a plug-in for the Fostex drivers, not the B200's.

The A8 cabinet is loaded aperiodically
The hemp cabinets are ported
« Last Edit: 6 Oct 2006, 06:37 pm by Brad »

ZLS

« Reply #3 on: 6 Oct 2006, 06:30 pm »
A Hemp Driver is being developed as a drop in for the B200.  It will be a high Q version.

Brad

« Reply #4 on: 6 Oct 2006, 06:37 pm »
Didn't know that - cool stuff. 8)

Louis is going to have a hemp driver for EVERYTHING....

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #5 on: 6 Oct 2006, 06:42 pm »
He is one busy man stoking the hemp fire!  I hope he gets to take a breather here and there.   aa aa

Canyoneagle

« Reply #6 on: 6 Oct 2006, 06:52 pm »
It sounds like the A8's might be the ticket.  I can foresee swapping the driver out with the new hemp driver, and using the B200's for OB experiments.

.......OR, I guess the came could be said for the XRS, with some fun horn, TL and Quarterwave experiments for the Fostex....

Any thoughts?

Michael

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #7 on: 6 Oct 2006, 07:16 pm »
Hi Michael,

One important consideration for deciding is how you will have them positioned in the room.

If they are going to be fairly close to the rear wall behind them (e.g. 2 feet or closer), I'd say go with the A8s.  They are not bass reflex and are not boomy next to walls.  If you are able to pull them out some more, you might want to consider the XRS.

Louis called me today and mentioned that the 4.5" Hemp prototypes that he just got are very impressive.... they go deeper, have even more bass output, and are smoother sounding.  And he barely has any burn in time on them  :o

The 8" Hemp Hi-Q driver is still being developed.... no prototypes sent out yet.  I am going to snag them first and put them in my OBs in place of the B200s and will report my findings.  Hopefully Louis will have these 8" Hi-Q Hemp prototypes soon!

Best regards,

Vinnie

Canyoneagle

« Reply #8 on: 6 Oct 2006, 07:26 pm »
Hi Vinnie.
I have alot of flexibility with the positioning, so I can go close or far.
So, considering that, are you recommending the XRS?

It sounds like the hemp replacement would make for a SWEET little package in the XRS cabinet.

Ahhhhh, decisions, decisions...... aa
Michael

coolwater

« Reply #9 on: 6 Oct 2006, 07:47 pm »
For an XRS, how much would it cost to replace the fostex w/a hemp cone? 

Since I have no need for an extra fostex driver, would it be possible (if the speaker is new enough) to just send the fostex back in, exchange for a hemp, and pay the difference.  Obviously, this would only apply to fairly new speakers (ie a year or less)... and wouldn't make sense for a speaker say 8 yrs old. 

Louis what are your thoughts?  Basically, I don't wanna pay full $$$ for another driver and have an extra just sitting around gathering dust.  I just got my XRS's so the fostex driver is still in good shape.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #10 on: 6 Oct 2006, 07:54 pm »
Hi Michael,

I am not recommending one over the other.  The both are very impressive, just different.

Hi Coolwater,

Louis is the only one who can answer this, but my guess is that he'll need to figure this out once the 4.5" hemps are in production mode.  I'm fairly certain that once they are, he will no longer be using Fostex 4.5's. 

Hey Louis,

You'll be taking my Fostex 4.5's back, right! ?   :green:

I want the Hemp!  :smoke:

-Vinnie

Canyoneagle

« Reply #11 on: 6 Oct 2006, 08:07 pm »
Hi Vinnie.
From your experience with both speakers, how would you describe the differences between them?

Also, I saw your post about the Sig 70's.  Exciting news, indeed!
Maybe I can do someone the favor of releiving them of their Sig 30 so they can take the next step.  Wink2

Thanks so much!
Michael

Louis O

« Reply #12 on: 6 Oct 2006, 11:07 pm »
Hi,

I did get the hemp 4.5" in and breaking them in right now. I have to say that the bass is incredible. I'm very happy so far and the last thing I have to do is change the terminals to .110 so as to fit the cabling. The ones I have now have .375 and are too big.

I will try to work out something out, but at this time I still have to figure out costs. i don't know this yet. It has cost a lot to get the newest basket done.

I have also tweaked a customers Fostex drivers with Dammar and it sounds great.

Thanks,again,
Louis

Zero

« Reply #13 on: 6 Oct 2006, 11:34 pm »
Louis,

Is there any possibility you will be utilizing this driver in a compact styled monitor that could be used near walls? A long shot I know... but I just have to ask.

TheSloth

« Reply #14 on: 7 Oct 2006, 01:30 am »
I have also tweaked a customers Fostex drivers with Dammar and it sounds great.

I believe those were my drivers.... :D

I'm mighty impressed with the difference a few coats of (admittedly high quality) varnish can make to that fostex driver. I tried out the FX120 while I was waiting (why before anyone wastes their time doesn't work in such a shallow enclosure), but I'm really happy with the sound you managed to coax out of this part. I'm looking forward to the hemp driver and am curious how it will compare to what I'm listening to now, but either way I think this coating takes the FE127e to a new level, and it might appeal to those looking for a possibly slightly 'faster' sound than the hemp cone, but keeping an even tonal balance.

What's interesting about the hemp design is that it was designed after the cabinet - from all the revisions, it's clear that the specs of the driver have been tuned and retuned with a specific cabinet in mind, so I'm interested to see what that translates to sonically.

My Sig. 30 arrived at the beginning of the week, and the drivers arrived back today so my little system is finally complete! I really like the simple clip system to wire in the driver - it makes swapping them out a 5 minute job.

TheSloth

« Reply #15 on: 7 Oct 2006, 01:39 am »
Louis,

Is there any possibility you will be utilizing this driver in a compact styled monitor that could be used near walls? A long shot I know... but I just have to ask.

Just put the new hemp driver into a Super 3R, or any of the speakers that use the FE126e or 127e...

Louis O

« Reply #16 on: 13 Oct 2006, 01:42 am »
Hi A6M-ZERO,

The hemp 4.5 will go into the Super 3V2s and the bipoles as well.

Hi TheSloth,

They sure are and this a tweak I did long ago and when we spoke about the XRSs it came back to me. I'm very happy there sounding great and that you got the Sig 30. The combo is unbelievable.

I want to get some feedback at the show with the new hemp drivers. We worked a long time on this and the Tone Tubby formula is the best . The swap is very easy and I made sure the clips will fit. This was very important.

Thanks again,
Louis

Johnb

« Reply #17 on: 13 Oct 2006, 11:21 am »
Louis, please let us know as soon as the 4,5" Hemp driver is avalible for sale, I think there is a big demand for them.

Louis O

« Reply #18 on: 17 Oct 2006, 12:02 am »
Hi johnB,

I sure will and they are being built right now. The lead-time is about 2 months. I do have a pair in a set of XRSs for the RMAF. They do cost a bit more than the Fostex and are totally OEM Omega product.

Thanks again,
Louis