Bought a pair of XRS today. Awesome!

coolwater

Bought a pair of XRS today. Awesome!
« on: 1 Sep 2006, 02:13 am »
Today, I bought a pair of Super 3 XRS (maple finish).  I'm totally excited about getting them.  I know they will sound awesome.  It was a pleasure chatting w/Louis... nice guy, very knowlegable, and genuinely enjoys what he does... makin great speakers for us to listen to.

He also had a great suggestion on what to get for my center channel speaker... a Super 3 v2.  Makes perfect sense... it has the same sonic signature as the XRS and will be synergistic w/them. 

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: Bought a pair of XRS today. Awesome!
« Reply #1 on: 1 Sep 2006, 07:04 am »
Louis is indeed a nice guy, very knowlegable, and genuinely enjoys what he does. And he does great work :rock:.....you will enjoy the speaker's. Happy listening.....and don't forget to post your impressions after you get them......have fun coolwater !! :beer:

coolwater

« Reply #2 on: 1 Sep 2006, 10:31 pm »
This is my 1st hifi system (new 'newbie' flames plz).  Here's the final system composition once I get everything.

receiver:  Denon 2807
subwoofer: Paradigm PS-1000 (750 peak, 250 rms)
front speakers: Omega 3 XRS (maple finish) sitting on skylan dampening platforms
center channel: Omega 3 V2
amp: Super T-Amp (w/plans to upgrade to a super awesome Redwine Signature 30 when funds permit)

Eventually, I'll put Omega Super 3V2's in the back for full 5.1 surround sound, but not enough $$$ right now.

Not the best, but it'll be a pretty solid system giving me much enjoyment in both music and home theater.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #3 on: 1 Sep 2006, 10:41 pm »
I would say for a first system, those are amazingly rational choices. Makes a lot more sense than my first (good) system.

.... which was a PE turntable (like a Dual), Shure M91 ED cartridge, Dynaco SCA-35 integrated, zip cord to a pair of AR-4AXs actually in bookshelves. 'Course this was 1972!!

.... and probably sounds quite a bit better, too!

Louis O

« Reply #4 on: 3 Sep 2006, 08:18 pm »
Hi coolwater,

Many thanks and welcome to the forum.

It was great speaking with you and I can't wait to get them off to you. The system will be great with HT and 2-channel. Having Rear S3V2s will round it out for sure.

My first was a Radio Shack TT to a Vector Research receiver and speakers I made out of Becker drivers. I thought they looked real cool and it was the first time I saw clear PP woofers. I tried to copy the first Energy floorstanders.

Thanks again,
Louis

spostva

• The Music Never Stopped
« Reply #5 on: 7 Sep 2006, 05:14 pm »
Louis is building a pair for me also.  They'll be in Plank Teak.  Like you, I'm anxious to hear them.
Mike
 :icon_lol:

spostva

« Reply #6 on: 14 Sep 2006, 08:42 pm »
 :beer:
After posting this, I had a hellava nice conversation w/Louis.
Now I'm looking fwd to hearing my (soon to be) XRSs powered by an Omega/Sig 30 in a matching teak cabinet.
 :drums:

Louis O

« Reply #7 on: 15 Sep 2006, 11:28 pm »
Hi Mike,

Thanks and it was great speaking with you.

The combo is stunning and the whole thing is totally matched. Used the same flitch of veneer.

Thansk again,
louis

chadh

« Reply #8 on: 22 Sep 2006, 05:55 pm »

Looks like I'm joining the Omega team!

I found a pair of the XRS speakers on audiogon, and they will hopefully be arriving in the middle of next week.  These will be my first pair of floorstanders, and my first pair of single-driver speakers.  These will replace Von Schweikert VR1 monitors in my system.  I'll be using a Bolder modified squeezebox into a space tech labs 6sn7-tubed pre-amp and channel islands VMB1 monoblocks. 

Chad

mcgsxr

« Reply #9 on: 22 Sep 2006, 07:22 pm »
Chad, that combo sounds like it will really be a nice one - you will have oodles of headroom with those monoblocks, and the Space Tech should give some wonderful tube juice to a powerful system.

Can you say dynamic?

Nice choices!

Can I pester you to at least try the Bolder straight into the VMB's, and report the difs?

Thanks, have fun.

Dmason

« Reply #10 on: 22 Sep 2006, 07:55 pm »
Chad,

That sounds like a KILLER comb :o. Be sure to post. Those dual triodes with GC/T amps are amazing. Albert's stuff is also great sound and value.

chadh

« Reply #11 on: 22 Sep 2006, 09:04 pm »
Chad, that combo sounds like it will really be a nice one - you will have oodles of headroom with those monoblocks, and the Space Tech should give some wonderful tube juice to a powerful system.

Can you say dynamic?

Nice choices!

Can I pester you to at least try the Bolder straight into the VMB's, and report the difs?

Thanks, have fun.

You can pester...and I might even come to the party.  Actually, the Bolder modded SB2 has come out of the system for a little while (needs a little tweaking from Wayne), and until the speakers arrive the system is in a temporary home.  That means the pre-amp isn't in use either.  I have a stock SB2 (with Wayne's original power supply) feeding the VMB1s directly.  When the SB2 comes back, I'll do more extensive testing, with the pre-amp in and without.

Chad

Louis O

« Reply #12 on: 26 Sep 2006, 12:14 am »
Hi chadh,

Welcome and many thanks for your purchase of the XRSs. It would be great to hear how the systems sound together.

Thanks again,
Louis

chadh

« Reply #13 on: 26 Sep 2006, 01:36 am »

Thanks Louis.

I felt a little sheepish, given that I'm buying these used.  But the seller is only selling so he can move to one of your hemp masterpieces!  So at least I feel like I'm facilitating a new purchase.

I've got to tell you, though:  I'm really excited to hear your speakers!

Chad

Louis O

« Reply #14 on: 28 Sep 2006, 12:49 am »
Hi Chad,

My pleasure and no worry at all. I can't wait for you to get them in your system.

Thanks again,
Louis

chadh

« Reply #15 on: 28 Sep 2006, 02:11 am »

Guess what?  The XRSs arrived this afternoon, and are playing as I type.

I'm so happy.  Thanks Louis.

Chad

TheSloth

« Reply #16 on: 28 Sep 2006, 04:16 am »
Pictures?

spostva

« Reply #17 on: 28 Sep 2006, 04:40 pm »
 :thumb: My XRSs arrived about 15 mins ago.  The remainder of my workday will go very slowly.
 :bawl:

chadh

« Reply #18 on: 29 Sep 2006, 04:40 am »
Pictures?

Here are a couple

and

Chad

Louis O

« Reply #19 on: 29 Sep 2006, 08:58 pm »

Hi Chad,

Great pictures and really happy that you got them safe and sound.

Thanks again