Omega SuperHemps in The House

Dmason

« on: 27 Jan 2006, 01:20 am »
I have a new pair of Omega SuperHemps parked in my home, which I just unpacked, after my return today from the wintering grounds of Cabo San Luca, Baja California.

Absolutely fantastic looking pair of speakers, Louis, joinery perfect, veneer: Mmmmmmm, Teak...whose cast matches perfectly several picture frames in the lounge.... love the chamfering along the edges, everything in order. The Hempcones are terrific looking. These lovelies are NOT small. I do not anticipate their sound will be small either, with a 15 inch wide baffle. I am looking forward to giving them an extended burn-in over the next several days on the ruthless Hafler 9505 Sand Machine, and then onto some serious listening, with some observations to follow. I also intend to hear Louis' new speakers with a 1957 Gibson ES135 hollowbody guitar as a "source," as well as an old Fender Twin for power, to see what happens when hemp is used as a guitar cone.

Should be very good.

gbeard

• Contributing writer--Positive Feedback
Super Hemps...
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2006, 12:45 pm »
Hello DMason,

Beware of the break in monster!  :evil:

From my experience it will take 100+ hours for these to smooth out. In the interim you may experience moments of devil-dancing  :banghead: but soon after you will find they become something new. It will be up to you to decide how you feel then Grasshopper.... But here is how I feel: :dance:

Enjoy!

Dmason

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2006, 03:25 pm »
Yes, I agree. The cones will be doing the freezer chest lambada 24/day for the next five or six days, fed a variety of signals, increasing in amplitude. it is always worth the wait. But in the meantime, at least my eyes can enjoy.

I cannot believe how well the cast of the Teak goes with the trim and frames in that room. kharma.

Don't think: "big Super 3," think "little Altec Valencia," "little Tannoy Lancaster,"  something like that....The cabinets remind me ALOT of scaled down 1970's Altecs.

maxwalrath

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2006, 10:04 pm »
Any chance you can post a picture dmason?

gbeard

• Contributing writer--Positive Feedback
« Reply #4 on: 28 Jan 2006, 12:13 pm »
Don't think: "big Super 3," think "little Altec Valencia," "little Tannoy Lancaster," something like that....The cabinets remind me ALOT of scaled down 1970's Altecs.

You are correct Dmason. While I am certain this design was always in the back of Lou's musically-demented mind, I will take partial credit   :wink: for suggesting the basic size of the design (pats self on back).

Well...maybe Lou was just humoring me...

:notworthy:

Cheers,
gb

Dmason

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jan 2006, 04:12 pm »
Actually, I meant the Teak/cabinet scale combination reminded me of a pair of Valencias, or Model 19's I once was familiar with.

In original discussions about a larger cabinet for the Hemp driver's wavelaunch, after having groomed through the driver's parameters, Louis and I discovered that among past designs, we both liked the earlier Snell designs, and in particular the Audio Note AN/E sized cabinets for 8 inch drivers, and the wide-baffle approach to wave-launch, in specific, whose benefits are being re-discovered by the rapidly growing open baffle converts. I believe speakers got narrow only for W.A.F. reasons, and for the fact that most urban dwellings are smaller these days. Beyond that, the arrival at this specific dimension/tuning, is of course all a result of Louis' efforts, and those wonderfully creative drugs that allow a 7 day work week---> :o  just kidding, only good ol' nicotine and caffeine actually does it for him.

Anyhoo, pretty trad looking, and I cut 1 inch bases for them, of equal DIM's to LxW and have them on felt tipped cones of 1/2"L.

Louis O

« Reply #6 on: 3 Feb 2006, 02:41 am »
Hi Dan,

Finally the eagle has landed. Sorry it took forever, but there was a little tweaking going on plus the usual driver delays that are all taken care of. I’m so happy you like the Teak and how it matches with your room. I really like this finish too and it goes with everything. Breaking in will make your head spin as Gary pointed out. It’s the weirdest thing, they can sound great one day and totally reverse the next until the 100-hour point were it levels out. I just put them on my burn in rig now and do bass sweeps.

Please let me know how they do with the ES135 and the Fender Twin. I had a Strat and Marshall here for the longest time, but no more. Still have the Celestion ceramics though.

I can’t believe it’s been over 14 months since I started with the hemps. 4 different versions and now this is it. The Old Snell design was in my head for the longest time and just needed the right driver. Many thanks for all yours and Gary’s input on these.

The 7 seven-day workweek is not possible without the nicotine and caffeine. The caffeine is in vapor form and if your speakers smell like coffee it’s because I have 3 huge coffee roasters under my shop

Old Time Speakers are back.

Talk to you soon,
Louis

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #7 on: 3 Feb 2006, 03:29 am »
Quote from: Louis O
The 7 seven-day workweek is not possible without the nicotine and caffeine. The caffeine is in vapor form and if your speakers smell like coffee it’s because I have 3 huge coffee roasters under my shop

Louis isn't joking about this... I went down to Norwalk to visit him a few weeks back and found him working in a THICK fog of smoke coming from the coffee roasters downstairs, which are leaking terribly into his shop.  The only "fresh air" that Louis was getting when he was taking his cigarette break  :o

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #8 on: 3 Feb 2006, 05:53 pm »
Quote from: maxwalrath

Here is a low-resolution shot taken from CES:

Just like all the Omega Speakers, they feature the magnet grills (not shown).  I love those custom Skylan stands and the wide, "olde time" Snell/Audio Note look.  I can't wait to hear these for myself.  They'll definitely be at the Montreal show and will hopefully be driven by the new 30-watt Clari-T  :wink:

skrivis

Re: Omega SuperHemps in The House
« Reply #9 on: 3 Feb 2006, 06:06 pm »
Quote from: Dmason
I also intend to hear Louis' new speakers with a 1957 Gibson ES135 hollowbody guitar as a "source," as well as an old Fender Twin for power, to see what happens when hemp is used as a guitar cone.

Well, if it makes a good guitar speaker, it will make a lousy hi-fi speaker and vice-versa....

skrivis

« Reply #10 on: 3 Feb 2006, 06:09 pm »
Quote from: Vinnie R.
Quote from: Louis O

Louis isn't joking about this... I went down to Norwalk to visit him a few weeks back and found him working in a THICK fog of smoke coming from the coffee roasters downstairs, which are leaking terribly into his shop.  The only "fresh air" that Louis was getting when he was taking his cigarette break  :o

He needs to beat on somebody until they properly ventilate the roasters. :)

skrivis

« Reply #11 on: 3 Feb 2006, 06:12 pm »
Quote from: Vinnie R.
Quote from: maxwalrath

Here is a low-resolution shot taken from CES:

Just like all the Omega Speakers, they feature the magnet grills (not shown).  I love those custom Skylan stands and the wide, "olde time" Snell/Audio Note look.  I can't wait to hear these for myself.  They'll definitely be at the Montreal show and will hopefully be driven by the new 30-watt Clari-T  :wink:

I've looked at the Omega speakers several times and can't decide whether I like the look or not. The last time I looked, I thought they were butt-ugly. In the pic you just posted, I like them. :)

Bwanagreg

« Reply #12 on: 3 Feb 2006, 08:12 pm »
What are the dimensions? I think they have a cool funky retro look myself.

skrivis

« Reply #13 on: 3 Feb 2006, 08:37 pm »
Quote from: Bwanagreg
What are the dimensions? I think they have a cool funky retro look myself.

Yeah, they somehow remind me of some of the old B&O speakers.

Louis O

« Reply #14 on: 11 Feb 2006, 01:28 am »
Hi, Vinnie

Thanks for posting the pic Vinnie and maybe one day they will fix the roasters. Got to have the 30 watt ready, can’t wait fir this amp.

Hi skrivis and Bwanagreg

Your right at one point heads will roll. Some days it’s so bad I have to leave or wear a mask all day.

The speakers really look great in person and Noel does a great job with the stands. It truly is fitted and part of the whole system. They do look like a huge Super 3 and I may introduce some new finishes and 2-tones. Working on getting some very interesting material from Italy.

The size is 23”H x 15”W x 12”D

Thanks again,
Louis