"A, B, C dipole" with OpenOffice

RC23

"A, B, C dipole" with OpenOffice
« on: 31 Jan 2009, 05:40 pm »
John Kreskovsky has developped a smart simulation program for dipoles of all types. "A, B, C dipole" works as macro within MS Excel. http://www.musicanddesign.com/A_B_C_Dipole.html

Because I am user of OpenOffice (freeware!) and therefore no MS Excel is installed on my PC, I have tried to get started "A, B, C dipole" but without success. Please would you try to establish "A, B, C dipoles" on your computer as test it on? Most suitable with OpenOffice. The link for the test version stands above on the right. http://www.musicanddesign.com/files/test.zip

Other Excel files with macro function I am able to use within OpenOffice 3.0.1. http://www.openoffice.org

Ruediger
« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2009, 09:05 pm by RC23 »

RC23

Re: "A, B, C dipole" with OpenOffice
« Reply #1 on: 1 Feb 2009, 12:47 pm »
After checking "A, B, C dipole" by other OpenOffice users the result is clear: "A, B, C dipole" is not compatible with OpenOffice.  :( http://www.visaton.de/vb/showthread.php?t=18598

Sadly John Kreskovsky is only Microsoft oriented. OpenOffice is a mighty office package as a competitor of Microsoft. OpenOffice is almost complete compatible with Microsoft files. Almost .. Excel macros don´t work really in OpenOffice.

Ruediger

mightym

« Reply #2 on: 1 Feb 2009, 08:28 pm »
I use " Open Office ".

I have not tried that particular application, however nearly every other excel app. I've tried has worked without any problems.

My 'Puter is several years old, sometimes it take several minutes to boot the excel app. in  Open Office Calc.  That is the only problem I've had.

John

JeffBrown

« Reply #3 on: 1 Feb 2009, 08:49 pm »
I would say try oxygen office.  It is built on Go Open Office and has some support for VBA.

http://www.oxygenofficepro.com/downloads.htm

mightym

« Reply #4 on: 1 Feb 2009, 09:00 pm »
I should have checked it out before posting, from the link above it appears that there is indeed an excel add on required.

Read down further and there's also a requirement for CAD programming too.

RC23

« Reply #5 on: 1 Feb 2009, 09:03 pm »
I have not tried that particular application, however nearly every other excel app. I've tried has worked without any problems.

Thanks for testing. Does the test work like written in the word document "read me first"?

After I have loaded the Excel file I see this result:

Is your Excel result like mine?

Sorry for my wooden English. ;) I am coming from Germany.

Ruediger

RC23

« Reply #6 on: 1 Feb 2009, 09:05 pm »
I would say try oxygen office.  It is built on Go Open Office and has some support for VBA.

http://www.oxygenofficepro.com/downloads.htm

Thanks for the link. I will test it tomorrow.

Ruediger

RC23

« Reply #7 on: 2 Feb 2009, 09:37 pm »
The hint with "OxygenOffice Professional" was a good idea.  :thumb:

"OxygenOffice Professional" is the same as OpenOffice with some improvements and extensions of the system i.e. VBA support for macros. http://www.freewarefiles.com/OxygenOffice-Professional_program_37168.html

Here a "A, B, C dipole" screenshot of test.xls:

I will ask John Kreskovsky to test his "A, B, C dipole" with "OxygenOffice Professional".

Ruediger

gainphile2

• Gainphile
« Reply #8 on: 2 Feb 2009, 11:28 pm »
Excellent... I always like everything free and great  :thumb:

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #9 on: 3 Feb 2009, 05:05 am »
Looks like Mac users are SOL... even with a full version of Excel...

dave

panomaniac

« Reply #10 on: 3 Feb 2009, 05:30 am »
Yeah - well Dave - what did you expect?

Think different indeed... :P  (pity the poor linux users)

Rudolf

« Reply #11 on: 3 Feb 2009, 09:49 am »
Excellent... I always like everything free and great  :thumb:
I like it free and great too. Since you already are a proud owner of ABC: How do you think about downloading OxygenOffice Professional and testing ABC on it yourself?  :wink:
Everybody would like to hear from your results. :drool:

Rudolf

Telstar

« Reply #12 on: 18 Feb 2009, 05:12 pm »
I have office 2007 and Vista and, after enabling macros, it had some error and the file test.txt created was empty.

Pretty crap IMO.

RC23

« Reply #13 on: 18 Feb 2009, 05:41 pm »
In combination with MS Office 2003 and Windows XP the macro of John Kreskovsky works very well (report some users). Obviously MS Office 2007 and Windows Vista does not fit with "A, B, C dipole". I can understand that John does not test all OS and office software for a little group of users.

My tests with "A, B, C dipole" and three open office versions (OpenOffice, OxygenOffice Professional and GoOo) have been successful only to some extent. OxygenOffice Professional and GoOo deliver some but not full macro support as OpenOffice fails total.

Ruediger
« Last Edit: 18 Feb 2009, 09:03 pm by RC23 »

Rudolf

« Reply #14 on: 18 Feb 2009, 06:01 pm »
I have office 2007 and Vista and, after enabling macros, it had some error and the file test.txt created was empty.

office 2007 and Vista did the test perfectly for me. Did you read (and follow) the Read_me_first.doc? The file test.txt should be empty when the test is finished.

What a pity that A, B, C dipole fails to work with the open source Offices. :(

RC23

« Reply #15 on: 18 Feb 2009, 06:49 pm »
After reading the article "VBA-Makros in OpenOffice.org" I understand that macros in the MS world is quite different from the macro solution of OpenOffice. And a transfer from MS to OpenOffice is done very laborious. The article is written in German but perhaps some English speaking friends are able to read the article.  http://software.magnus.de/office-buero/artikel/vba-makros-in-openoffice-org.html

Telstar

« Reply #16 on: 20 Feb 2009, 04:06 pm »
Obviously MS Office 2007 and Windows Vista does not fit with "A, B, C dipole". I can understand that John does not test all OS and office software for a little group of users.

It's not a "little group of users", and with the release of W7 this summer, it will be all but smaller.

To Rudolf, I didnt read it all, but the macro showed an error window, that gave me the doubt that it didnt work right.

RC23

« Reply #17 on: 20 Feb 2009, 09:19 pm »
It's not a "little group of users", and with the release of W7 this summer, it will be all but smaller.

I don´t mean the extent of users of WinXP or Win7 but the number of users of "A, B, C dipole".

johnk...

• Music and Design
« Reply #18 on: 25 Feb 2009, 03:47 pm »
ABC Dipole was developed using Excel 2002. It should work fine with any genuine MS Excel version thereafter, including Vista and W7, when released. The test code is designed to test the macro that executes the baffle simulation part of the code. This macro creates the test.txt file and runs the test.exe code. It does not write into test.txt.

The test code is supposed to allow you to assess if ABC will work correctly on you PC. The actual ABC macros open a file similar to test.txt and writes data from the Excel worksheet into it. This file is then read as input by the baffle simulation code *.exe file  which is run by the shell command. The baffle sim code also writes another file which contains the result of the baffle simulation. This data is import back into the Excel code through a second macro.

If you are using Excel clones they must be able to export and import data from files using macros and must also be able to execute an external code using the shell command. Here is a copy of the macro in Test.xls. Unfortunately I do not have the ability or desire to test every piece of open software that is supposed to emulate MS Excel.

One other thing. I have not had any complaints about ABC not working with MS Excel. The only problem encountered by a couple of users was that some Euro version of Excel (or the MS OS) use a "," for a decimal delimited instead of the "." This can be changed in the Regional and Language setting in the Control panel allowing correct operation of ABC...

Sub Macro4()
'
    Dim Counter As Integer
    Dim Simdat As Integer
    Dim OutputData As Variant
    Dim fileToSave As Variant
    Dim Defaultname As Variant
    Dim Trash As Double
    Dim gainOffset As Double
    Dim rawFreqCell1 As Double, rawValueCell1 As Variant

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

Simdat = 13