Kaplan Cables prototype speaker cables

mgalusha

Re: Kaplan Cables prototype speaker cables
« Reply #20 on: 11 Sep 2009, 02:24 am »
My birthday was last month... but I have nearly a year till I hit the "magic" 50 mark.  :roll:

(Not to imply that your getting old or anything Mike) :icon_lol:

Occam

« Reply #21 on: 11 Sep 2009, 03:44 am »
A few pics. I think they look pretty nice considering they are prototypes. They are heavy and thick, as you would expect since Paul mentioned they net a 7ga run.

Thanks Mike. Thats exactly what they'll look like, but the covering with be in 'graphite', sorta metallic grey, and the connection legs will have cloth sleeving as in my power cords. The locking bananas, where used, are going to be Furutech, rather than WBT. I think the Furutechs the equal of the WBTs, and in addition, a full complements of WBT Midlines on a GS pair, 12 of them, 4 at the amp end and 8 at the speaker end including the terminations of the built in jumpers represent a $300 OEM cost.  While a 6' pair of the GS speaker cables will retail north of $1k (TBD) I really do want to keep costs down. Spades will be available, as I'm really enjoying my new 8 ton hydraulic press, which is frighteningly effective. After dissecting some of the crimps (I'm also enjoying [too much, my wife tells me] my 10" cut-off saw  :wink:), I finally understand the nature of a true cold weld.

Scott - I certainly appreciate the offer, but hope someone wouldn't go from generic speaker cable to something as expensive as mine, regardless of the perceived benefits. I'd suggest you explore lower cost product (the universe is quite large, even larger when you include used) before you consider spending 'silly money'. Frankly, the only folks who should consider my cables are those who've listened to some of the $3k+ speaker cables, desperately wanted them for what they did for their system, but couldn't rationalize that large of an expenditure. I want them to buy my cable, not because it 'almost as good' as that $3k+ cable, I want them to buy because its both better and less expensive. As much as this might strain  credulity, my marketing approach is to provide tremendous value in comparison to competing products.

I appreciate the PMs I've received regarding the beta evaluations, and I've not committed to more than I had prior to Mike's review. If I've not responded, I've not forgotten, but presently I'm trying to get some custom work done for RMAF for one room (and more, hopefully). I'm leaving it to the room's principal to choose if to disclose my participation prior to RMAF.

Much thanks to all for the encouragement and support.
Warmest regards,
Paul

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #22 on: 11 Sep 2009, 04:30 am »
Thanks for the reviews Mike and Martin.... :thumb:

Congrats Paul....sounds like another excellent product !!! :beer:

mgalusha

« Reply #23 on: 15 Sep 2009, 10:03 pm »
I've spent quite a bit more time with these and after talking with Paul gave bi-wiring them a try. Normally I'm not a big fan of this as I'd rather have one set of better cables than two sets of lesser quality.

Well, once again I am hearing unexpected results. Going to a bi-wire setup with the new Kaplan GS on top and some of my DIY cables on the bass (Meadowlark Blue Heron 2 speakers) made a very surprising difference. The dynamic attack has improved, the sound stage is deeper and more coherent and things are even clearer than before. The bass is a bit deeper and better damped but my DIY cables were built with that in mind and are pretty lousy when run full range.

What I already thought was an exceptional speaker cable is even better than I thought. Thanks again to Paul for letting me be a guinea pig.  :thumb:

Occam

« Reply #24 on: 16 Sep 2009, 12:05 am »
Mike,

The dedicated woofer runs are on there way to you. They are really quite spectacular at that task. You'll be surprised by their size. The woofer runs are substantially smaller than the GS cables for the mids/tweets,but this will simply prove that size doesn't matter.

-Paul