Apple Thunderbolt connection....what the heck!

daveyf

Apple Thunderbolt connection....what the heck!
« on: 8 Dec 2019, 11:58 pm »
Just bought my daughter a new MacBook Pro...very nice laptop...with one factor that kind of concerns me...and I guess, not other Apple lovers ( I am sort of one).
That is the fact that this machine...and all of the new Apple laptops, only offer a connection scheme called Thunderbolt! No Ethernet connectivity, no USB connectivity, no ssd connectivity...you get the picture. Now sure, you can add a dongle that will allow you to connect via Thunderbolt to the various other schemes....at a price!
Apple rep tells me at the Apple store that Apple is moving away from USB and Ethernet...Ethernet he tells me is now very old school...hmmm!

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
Re: Apple Thunderbolt connection....what the heck!
« Reply #1 on: 9 Dec 2019, 12:22 am »
Ya but it has rounded edges. 

PC laptops are dropping ethernet also from the last sampling I looked at.  Next will be the keyboard  :thumb:
Alan

rooze

« Reply #2 on: 9 Dec 2019, 02:58 pm »
It's about time a universal standard was adopted by all! (Mac/PC/Android/iOS etc) I actually think TB3/USB-C is a step in the right direction.

Thunderbolt 3 is compatible with and uses the same connector as USB-C. It's also backwards compatible with DisplayPort.

USB-C does all of the usual USB functions including power delivery up to 100w etc, but Thunderbolt 3 brings along additional features to USB-C such as 40 Gbps where USB 3.1 is 10 Gbps I think. But most importantly for me it's also bi-directional for data and display.
Right now on one of my older MacBook Pros with Thunderbolt 2, getting a cable that runs in the right direction to connect an external monitor with only USB-C is a big problem!
So as long as they keep developing down the USB-C connector path, I think it'll be ok, soon...maybe?

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #3 on: 9 Dec 2019, 03:05 pm »
  Well how does one connect the Mac to a streamer now ? The USB input for the server or streamer is a different shape.

charles

rooze

« Reply #4 on: 9 Dec 2019, 03:23 pm »
I believe you'd need to navigate through the minefield of adapter cables  :scratch:
Amazon has everything (except what you'll actually need) and the only advice I can offer is to be wary of the uni-directionality of older systems. For example, you might want to send video from a Thunderbolt 2 equipped older MacBook to a newer external Monitor with USB-C. You'll find tons of cables with the TB2/DisplayPort on one end and the USB-C on the other, but try and find one that sends the data in the direction you want it to!

jmc207

« Reply #5 on: 9 Dec 2019, 05:52 pm »
This almost does what you need. ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIOqOxI0K_I

rooze