Building phono stage kit. Any advice?

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
Re: Building phono stage kit. Any advice?
« Reply #20 on: 23 Apr 2024, 08:46 am »
Not sure if anyone was following this thread but here is an update since I'm wide awake at 1:45am listening to music. I decided to do some work on this phono preamp a little bit ago. My goal was to update into a smaller chassis where I went from a 17x13x4 down to a 14x10x3 unit. My other goals were better solidifying component placement, shortening signal wires and borrowing some upgrades used on the Don Sachs units. End result is still great sounding but considerably better soundstage depth, and way better chassis size to fit in my small room. The only thing I gave up for the small chassis was the center partition between power side to signal side.

Again, if anyone is contemplating a build of anything Tubes4HiFi sells, I wholeheartedly say jump in head first. These kits absolutely rule.  :thumb:

Rocket

« Reply #21 on: 24 Apr 2024, 02:00 pm »
Hi,

Thanks for the update. Happy listening to your phono stage :)

Cheers Rod

theflattire

« Reply #22 on: 12 Jun 2024, 09:00 pm »
Not sure if anyone was following this thread but here is an update since I'm wide awake at 1:45am listening to music. I decided to do some work on this phono preamp a little bit ago. My goal was to update into a smaller chassis where I went from a 17x13x4 down to a 14x10x3 unit. My other goals were better solidifying component placement, shortening signal wires and borrowing some upgrades used on the Don Sachs units. End result is still great sounding but considerably better soundstage depth, and way better chassis size to fit in my small room. The only thing I gave up for the small chassis was the center partition between power side to signal side.

Again, if anyone is contemplating a build of anything Tubes4HiFi sells, I wholeheartedly say jump in head first. These kits absolutely rule.  :thumb:
Nice!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #23 on: 15 Jun 2024, 06:32 am »
Lovely work nlit, good to hear it meets if not exceeds your expectations.  8)

nlitworld

« Reply #24 on: 15 Jun 2024, 01:29 pm »
Lovely work nlit, good to hear it meets if not exceeds your expectations.  8)

Nice!

Thank you both for the kind words. First, it was a super fun project and I learned so much that I feel I can take on any diy build project now. Being able to read schematics and understand what's happening and how things are arranged was my biggest takeaway. Secondly, the value for sound quality is off the charts. My friend has a similar costing Parasound JC3 Jr. phono stage, and while I won't say this to his face, this wipes the floor with his unit it's so much better. I'm already planning a next kit build after I finish another project for a friend. Long live DIY Hi-Fi. :weights:

-Lloyd

Denton J

« Reply #25 on: 13 Jul 2024, 11:30 pm »
Thank you both for the kind words. First, it was a super fun project and I learned so much that I feel I can take on any diy build project now. Being able to read schematics and understand what's happening and how things are arranged was my biggest takeaway. Secondly, the value for sound quality is off the charts. My friend has a similar costing Parasound JC3 Jr. phono stage, and while I won't say this to his face, this wipes the floor with his unit it's so much better. I'm already planning a next kit build after I finish another project for a friend. Long live DIY Hi-Fi. :weights:

-Lloyd

I was going to ask if you had a chance to compare it.  I recently purchased a privately built phono stage I believe from a Don Sachs kit. I am hoping it needs burn in time. A phono stage built into an integrated amp (Leak 130) I had laying around sounds better right now. 

I did learn I am firmly in the retro tube sound vs the new tube sound.

Also, I really like the casing you used!  Happy listening.

nlitworld

« Reply #26 on: 14 Jul 2024, 10:29 pm »
I have not had a chance to A/B against any other phono stages besides the PH12 phono built into my preamp. Not even close, but not surprising as it's a small, 2 tube single card unit off the same power supply as preamp. One day we'll get together to test gear at each other's houses.

nlitworld

« Reply #27 on: 15 Jul 2024, 04:56 am »
Also, I don't know anyone with a real Don Sachs phono stage, but it would be fun to listen and compare. I do know that the PH16 based unit I built responds very well to tube swapping, so perhaps you might want to roll in some NOS Mullards instead of some JJ or Gold Lions. I had some Amprex in the second spot for a bit, but they softened the sound a bit too much for my liking. Good at a little more smooth overall tonality, but they pulled away a little too much detail and harmonics for my liking.

Denton J

« Reply #28 on: 15 Jul 2024, 02:12 pm »
This is my first tube device, I can't wait to start tube rolling a little.  I think this unit was damaged in shipping.  The voicing is really clear but it sounds like everything else drops off the table and there might be a possible octave missing. 

I'm working with someone to trouble shoot what might need fixing/replaced.

nlitworld

« Reply #29 on: 15 Jul 2024, 03:01 pm »
Could definitely be settings as well. What cartridge are you using? Check your dip switches for reference on what you're running. That sounds like you could be running with too high of resistance setting. Also just out of curiosity, what tubes are you currently running?