This is not a review of the 2Cherry…but holy cow

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Re: This is not a review of the 2Cherry…but holy cow
« Reply #20 on: 23 May 2019, 08:03 pm »
Wow, this thread is really making me consider an amp. Is the sale over? Just saw the FB info. Emailed support. Sorry for hijacking the thread!
Sale is on until June.  Here's the newsletter about it:
https://conta.cc/2H9xmrN

Please subscribe (link top right) if you haven't already.  Thanks (:

RonN5

« Reply #21 on: 23 May 2019, 09:24 pm »
Recently there was a review in the online Blog 'Audio Pursuit' giving accolades to the desktop Maraschino.  The review included a lot of superlatives but the reviewer did make the observation that the Maraschinos seemed a little bass shy when compared to a vintage Adcom GFA 545ii.  I actually think that it's that the Maraschino bass definition is so good that the Adcom seems a little boomy by comparison....and usually we perceive boomy bass as more bass.

I've noticed a similar situation when comparing the 2Cherry with the Halo A23...the difference in perceived bass output is very slight.  On first blush, the Halo seems to produce a little bit 'more bass' but on closer listening, the 2Cherry has much more detailed bass; you can clearly hear individual bass notes, you can hear the kick drum membrane being struck.  Again, more detail, less boom..given a choice, I'll take the detail.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #22 on: 24 May 2019, 01:29 am »
Recently there was a review in the online Blog 'Audio Pursuit' giving accolades to the desktop Maraschino.  The review included a lot of superlatives but the reviewer did make the observation that the Maraschinos seemed a little bass shy when compared to a vintage Adcom GFA 545ii.  I actually think that it's that the Maraschino bass definition is so good that the Adcom seems a little boomy by comparison....and usually we perceive boomy bass as more bass.

I've noticed a similar situation when comparing the 2Cherry with the Halo A23...the difference in perceived bass output is very slight.  On first blush, the Halo seems to produce a little bit 'more bass' but on closer listening, the 2Cherry has much more detailed bass; you can clearly hear individual bass notes, you can hear the kick drum membrane being struck.  Again, more detail, less boom..given a choice, I'll take the detail.
Great point, and you are CORRECT !!   All Cherry amps developed after 2013 are DC coupled without use of a servo.  How is this done?  By making a naturally low DC offset end-to-end Amplifier.  There are no capacitors in the signal path, and thus, no phase shift in the bass. The lack of phase shift can improve realism in the bass. In the time domain, phase shift from a high pass filter (a.k.a. “DC blocker” or “AC coupling”) skews timing of the bass with respect to the rest of the spectrum.  Some say this timing skew is insignificant, but this is an invalid generalization. Most audio systems have multiple AC coupling stages.  They are effectively cascaded, and the phase shift they create is cumulative.  It is also irreversible  Consider a system with an AC coupled DAC, an AC coupled preamp (in and out), and an AC coupled power amplifier.  That’s easily four or more cascaded high pass filters, with the phase shifts from all of them added up!

witchdoctor

« Reply #23 on: 24 May 2019, 03:24 am »
Great point, and you are CORRECT !!   All Cherry amps developed after 2013 are DC coupled without use of a servo.  How is this done?  By making a naturally low DC offset end-to-end Amplifier.  There are no capacitors in the signal path, and thus, no phase shift in the bass. The lack of phase shift can improve realism in the bass. In the time domain, phase shift from a high pass filter (a.k.a. “DC blocker” or “AC coupling”) skews timing of the bass with respect to the rest of the spectrum.  Some say this timing skew is insignificant, but this is an invalid generalization. Most audio systems have multiple AC coupling stages.  They are effectively cascaded, and the phase shift they create is cumulative.  It is also irreversible  Consider a system with an AC coupled DAC, an AC coupled preamp (in and out), and an AC coupled power amplifier.  That’s easily four or more cascaded high pass filters, with the phase shifts from all of them added up!

THE SECRET SAUCE!! :lol:

lewdogg

« Reply #24 on: 24 May 2019, 04:50 pm »
Sale is on until June.  Here's the newsletter about it:
https://conta.cc/2H9xmrN

Please subscribe (link top right) if you haven't already.  Thanks (:

Thanks! Now I just need to place my order...  :D

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #25 on: 24 May 2019, 08:16 pm »
That interview is referred to as Part 1 (at the end) and is from March 2017... was the rest of the interview ever published? Thanks for sharing the link, it's a very interesting article.
This appears to be Part 2 (in a totally different place):
http://www.jeremykipnis.com/Golden_Cherry_Review_-_07_18.html

Thanks for mentioning this!  It took a while to find it.

audio.bill

« Reply #26 on: 24 May 2019, 10:29 pm »
No wonder I couldn't find it... I look forward to reading Part 2. Thanks!

RonN5

« Reply #27 on: 25 May 2019, 03:19 pm »
Updates from the 20 hour point:

1.    Generally, I don’t like the music on audiophile CDs...of course there are exceptions.  A few days ago, I referred to the clarity of the bass that is presented with the 2Cherry.  Here is an example where the clarity of the 2Cherry shines through.  Often times, when there are notes of similar frequencies from different instruments they get smeared together.  On Legacy Audio’s Sampler disk #4, track #5, the Mighty Sam McClain “When the Hurt is Over”, the 2 Cherry separates the notes so that you can clearly distinguish the drums, standup bass, piano bass and bass guitar.

2.   Jumping back in time to the Steppenwolf “Born to be Wild” CD, MCA, 1980…who knew that CD had some deep bass?  John Kay’s raspy voice on Hoochie Coochie Man…just beautiful.  The guitar rifts, the keyboards, the drum clarity…the 2Cherry brings this old CD to life.

3.   The 2Cherry by itself has been absolutely dead silent.  Nevertheless, I noticed that I was getting some 60 cycle hum when the preamp was turned on and connected to the amp.  I spoke to Tommy and within a few moments he determined that a different pair of rca/balanced adapters should solve the problem.  He overnighted them to me and voila problem solved.  Dead silent background with the preamp connected and turned up to full output.  Unexpectedly fantastic customer service!!!  Thank You!!!

4.   Afterward, I did a short comparison of the standard 16 gage stock power cord with the Shunyata Venom HC power cord I had been using on the Halo…I couldn’t hear a difference. 

Shear Bliss VMPS

« Reply #28 on: 26 May 2019, 04:43 pm »
I would suggest that any fence sitter mulling a new amp, to just leap and upgrade, better yet to even try some models Tommy may have in stock. This is how I found Tommy and Digital Amplifier back in 2012. At this time I was auditioning a class D amp from California … 270C something, and the worst sounding POS I ever listened too period!! Upon getting my funds back I almost didn't try class D but found info on Tommy.

Tommy had a Cherry Ultra in stock and I instantly loved it, thought my amplifier search was over but then I with arm in sling snapped a binding post (my fault) all Tommy said was to return it. Then a loose banana wire fell out a Genesis monitor and arched my right channel, again Tommy said he would take care of it, even thou again my (bad luck) go ahead and send it he said! Around this time I found out my mains power box was really messed up, as were the main wall socket where the amp plugged in. Tommy would repair/ship etc. but I couldn't keep the amp on without it cutting out. Between all this back and forth which was very stressful on both, I had a new mains power box installed, wall sockets replaced etc. Surprising my house didn't burn to the ground!!

I also tried the Maraschino monoblocs with 48V supplies, which were super sweet on my Acoustat 1100 panel speakers. But I like simplicity in wiring and set-up so went back to a red Cherry with 1800V transformer and Cardas binding posts I had Tommy install. When word of the MEGA Cherry came about I signed up for this update/upgrade and have not looked back!!!

From what has been written on in the audio press about the MEGA I totally wholeheartedly agree, just a awesome amp from a class act guy. Which is really the core of these few words, Tommy will not abandon you! A class act company if there ever was one.

DW

RonN5

« Reply #29 on: 26 May 2019, 05:36 pm »
Shear Bliss  -  2 Thumbs Up

RonN5

« Reply #30 on: 28 May 2019, 05:03 pm »
The 2Cherry has been in residence for almost two weeks now……hours played = 25…. and I am still blown away by the sound every time I turn it on.  No Decision to Make;  2Cherry is staying!

As I went to switch the 2Cherry with the Halo in my cabinet,  I quickly remembered how hard it was to maneuver the 30 lbs Halo into a tight cabinet with 1” to spare on width and 3” on depth and wires galore.  The 2Cherry on the other hand was a breeze…similar width…18lbs…and now at least 6” to spare on the depth.  Nice to have working room…especially when there is no room to get your head into the cabinet to see what you are doing.

Fortunately, the cabinet back is more open than it looks and ventilation was never a problem.  I'd much rather have a rack or stand for the gear, but it just doesn't work in this room.

You might wonder about the rca cables, speaker cables and power cable being in such close proximity to each other...absolute black background, dead silence, even with the preamp turned up full.  Seemingly, all of the equipment and cabling is well shielded.

Pictures Below:

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #31 on: 5 Jun 2019, 01:11 am »
Wow, this thread is really making me consider an amp. Is the sale over? Just saw the FB info. Emailed support. Sorry for hijacking the thread!
No worries.  Several customers requested an extension for the sale, so we’ve removed the sold items and have a new list.  Just email Support@DigitalAmp.com and we’ll send the new list to you.  Thanks.

-Tommy O

RonN5

« Reply #32 on: 5 Jun 2019, 02:30 pm »
30 Hour Update

I suspect that most audiophiles would say that one of their goals is to have their system sound like live music.  I’ve always found the difference hard to describe in a way that I could say, “well, if I just fix A, B, and C then problem solved”.

After a while, I changed my approach.  I began to look instead at improving aspects of the sound that didn’t seem quite right.  Make a tweak to get rid of some harshness.  Make another tweak to firm up the low end.  Then make another tweak to improve the soundstage.  And hopefully, each tweak did not result in one step forward and another step back in a different area.

I had my system pretty much at a level where it didn’t seem like there was much left to fix.  It didn’t exactly replicate live music but it really sounded good…great tone, massive and deep soundstage and just fun to listen to.

I had no reason to switch things up but I decided to buy the 2Cherry for the heck of it.  As I said, I liked the interview with Tommy and I liked what reviewers and forum posters had to say.  Since I had nothing I was trying to fix, I had no real expectations.

Much to my surprise, the 2Cherry significantly improved overall clarity and as a result the music sounds more alive, more realistic and more tonally correct.  It doesn’t bump up the top end and it doesn’t add midrange presence, both of which result in a “false” sense of clarity.  Instead, what the 2Cherry seems to do is remove a level of haze/fog that I never realized was there.

In 2014 Tone Audio said this about putting the Cherry Mono Blocks into their system, “It’s like cleaning a dirty windshield to get a better view of the road”.  This is a spot on description:  my system retained all of the great sound characteristics it had previously but the added clarity has moved the overall sound/presentation closer to live music than I realistically thought I could achieve.  Thank You Tommy!

« Last Edit: 5 Jun 2019, 03:53 pm by RonN5 »

stlrman

« Reply #33 on: 5 Jun 2019, 02:57 pm »
how much are these? Are they 400 watts into 8 0hm? Just curious.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #34 on: 5 Jun 2019, 03:24 pm »
how much are these? Are they 400 watts into 8 0hm? Just curious.
CherryAmp.com for prices.  Current sale has some x-CHerry versions at $700 off.

400Wpc into 4Ω.  Thanks for your post.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #35 on: 5 Jun 2019, 03:25 pm »
30 Hour Update

I suspect that most audiophiles would say that one of their goals is to have their system sound like live music.  I’ve always found the difference hard to describe in a way that I could say, “well, if I just fix A, B, and C then problem solved”.

After a while, I changed my approach.  I began to look instead at improving aspects of the sound that didn’t seem quite right.  Make a tweak to get rid of some harshness.  Make another tweak to firm up the low end.  Then make another tweak to improve the soundstage.  And hopefully, each tweak did not result in one step forward and another step back in a different area.

I had my system pretty much at a level where it didn’t seem like there was much left to fix.  It didn’t exactly replicate live music but it really sounded good…great tone, massive and deep soundstage and just fun to listen to.

I had no reason to switch things up but I decided to buy the 2Cherry for the heck of it.  As I said, I liked the interview with Tommy and I liked what reviewers and forum posters had to say.  Since I had nothing I was trying to fix, I had no real expectations.

Much to my surprise, the 2Cherry significantly improved overall clarity and as a result the music sounds more alive, more realistic and more tonally correct.  It doesn’t bump up the top end and it doesn’t add midrange presence, both of which result in a “false” sense of clarity.  Instead, what the 2Cherry seems to do is remove a level of haze/fog that I never realized was there.

In 2014 Tone Audio said this about putting the Cherry Mono Blocks into their system, “It’s like cleaning a dirty windshield to get a better view of the road”.  This is a spot on description:  my system retained all of the great sound characteristics it had previously but the added clarity has moved the overall sound/presentation closer to live music that I realistically thought I could achieve.  Thank You Tommy!
Thanks so much for your detailed feedback!