Paul Speltz' Zero Autoformer with my set up

Mike D

« on: 25 Jul 2004, 12:13 am »
I've been searching for new speakers for a short time now (2 months) and have run across this Zero Autoformer thing.  My #1 complaint with my speakers is that they are 2.3 ohm.  My behemoth amps, Rogue M150s, do a great job and are a huge improvement over the m120s since the upgrade.  I am a tube fan all the way but I owned a Classe CA300 for 2 or 3 years.  Its current was endless.  It doubled down time and again to nearly 900 watts at 2 ohms.  The soundstage was vast but solid state in its presentation.  The control and dynamics were involving and exciting, but still solid state.  I missed tubes and went with the big Rogue m120s.  What I lost in dynamics, I gained in tube beauty.  As I'm sure you can relate, I want both dynamics and soundstage.  Would the Zero's improve my dynamics as described on the website even though I already have 55lbs amps with oversized transformers and powersupplies?

www.zeroimpedance.com

Thanks,
mike

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jul 2004, 12:33 am »
What are your speakers?

I was a tube guy also until I got my RM 40's.  The 40's wanted current and go below 4 ohms - this is a no-no for most tube amps.   :nono:

Rather than go with a high powered tube amp (I find that these types of amps lose much of magic that had you going tubes in the first place), I went with the Rowalnd 201's.  The 201's have absolutely no problem driving the 40's and they have much of the magic of tubes (great soundstaging, imaging, and texture) plus the benefit of being much better at the extremes and more dynamic throughout.

I believe Paul has a 30 day return policy, why not just try the Zero formers yourself and see how they do?  If I hadn't come across the 201's, I probably would have tried the Zero Formers + my Kora Cosmos References (100 watt Class A triode per mono).

George

davejcb

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jul 2004, 12:36 am »
Quote from: zybar
I was a tube guy also until I got my RM 40's.  The 40's wanted current and go below 4 ohms - this is a no-no for most tube amps.   :nono:

You ever try a Decware amp? They're made to work with < 8 ohms...

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 25 Jul 2004, 12:39 am »
I don't think any of the Decware amps is going to drive the RM 40's to a satisfying level or control two 10" woofers.

Aren't they all under 20 watts (and in most cases under 10)?

George

Mike D

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jul 2004, 04:51 am »
Thanks.  That's helpful information about the transformers.  I'll email Paul Speltz and report back when I have them in my system.

mike

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 25 Jul 2004, 12:57 pm »
I just checked Paul's website and it is actually a 60 day trial period.

George

electricbear

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jul 2004, 11:18 pm »
I would give the guys at Rogue a call before trying them just to make sure your amps won't have a bad reaction with them. The last thing you want is your amps doing their version of a nuclear meltdown on you. :)