Tell us about your headphone rig....

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
Re: Tell us about your headphone rig....
« Reply #40 on: 21 Jan 2023, 07:17 pm »
Thanks for the recommendations guys. I'll give them a lookover and figure something out. I may just go diy something together, depending on my level of motivation on this. Either way it's kinda fun listening to headphones for a change.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #41 on: 21 Jan 2023, 07:46 pm »
I have a headroom max out home amp, but I haven't used it years.

Saturn94

« Reply #42 on: 26 Feb 2023, 05:37 am »
Very basic here.

NAD Viso HP50 headphone connected to my iPad (7th gen) used as a Roon endpoint.  :thumb:

Circumstances at home have me using headphones more, so I recently took the plunge on an upgrade.

Drop+DCA Aeon X Closed planar headphones
JDS Atom+ headphone amp

My new setup is currently fed by my Logitech Squeezebox Touch being used as a Roon endpoint.  Sounds great!  :thumb:

Jon L

AllanS

« Reply #44 on: 4 Mar 2023, 05:18 am »
I just added a Schiit Lyr and the newly released Gjallarhorn to a Bifrost and Lokius I already had.
Eventually the stack will end up on the desk but I’m going to let it get some hours driving the Sapphire M4.  The combo sounds pretty amazing right out of the box. 

Kilkil

« Reply #45 on: 16 Mar 2023, 01:02 am »
Portable-Original Chord Mojo
Home-  Roon to either DAC: Schiit Yggdrasil A1 Unison USB or  Bricasti M21 LAN (office vs main system, currently my amp is on my office system)
AMP: DIY Dynahi to
Audio Technica W-5000, AKG K-501, AKG K-7XX, AKG K-1000, CIEM Alclair Studio4

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #46 on: 16 Mar 2023, 04:29 am »
Topping E70 Velvet DAC
Topping E90 Discrete HPA
Audeze LCD-MX4 Headphones

Krillin

« Reply #47 on: 20 May 2023, 01:51 am »
I have Sennheiser HD650 and Sennheiser HD800 open back headphones. They pretty much sound the same after EQ and there is no real difference between them when it comes to distortion that my ear can detect. However, the HD800 throws a much larger sound stage due the the placement of the drivers where the HD650 just sounds 2D by comparison. Bass actually sounds better through my Bose noise cancelling headphones though, open back headphones cannot compete in the really low frequencies.

I have used a McIntosh MHA100, McIntosh MHA150, and a Luxman SQ-N10. Honestly there wasn't much of a difference to my ears and a Topping headphone amp would be the most cost effective.

azimuth48

• Stereo Azimuth - YouTube
« Reply #48 on: 30 Jan 2024, 02:36 am »
I actually have two systems at my desk. More than that if you consider portable, but I digress:

Desktop system:
  • Theta DS Pro Basic II DAC
  • Schiit Freya preamp
  • DNA Stellaris
  • Schiit Mjolnir 2
  • Metrum Baby Ambre
  • Onkyo T-9090 II FM tuner

Side system:
  • Schiit Modi Multibit 2 DAC
  • Schiit SYS
  • NITSCH Piety
  • Schiit Vali 1

Sennheiser HD600, HD650, HD800, and Audeze LCD-2 mostly.

Freelance22

« Reply #49 on: 16 Mar 2024, 04:34 pm »
New here, but headphones are a familiar (in fact, obsessive) topic to me. In my home office I have two separate audio systems, each with its own computer as source (via USB cable) to a DDC feeding a DAC:

Main system: The DDC is a Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 3. The DAC is the MHDT Labs Orchid, which I paid to have modified by addition of a 2nd RCA output pair on the back panel. From the DAC signal goes to two headphone amps, one of which is a preamp (I change these fairly often). Currently these are the Wells Milo & Violectric V281. The preamp output goes to a Marchand electronic crossover which feeds high-pass signal to a Wyred 4 Sound ST-500 class D amp, which powers a vintage pair of KEF 103.2 two-way speakers; and the low-pass signal goes to a JLAudio e110 subwoofer.

Side system (headphones only): The DDC is a Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2. The DAC is the Metrum Onyx, each output of which goes to a headphone amp (currrently the Icon Audio HP8 TC-tube amp; and the Cavalli Liquid Carbon v2).

Of course there are other pairs of speakers to rotate in and out of the main system: ATC SCM12 Pro's and a pair of Harbeth 30.1s just purchased from the UK. There are also multiple pairs of headphones. These range from the modest/affordable (Marantz MPH-2s; Philips Fidelio X2s); to higher end models (ZMF Aeolus; ZMF Verite Open; ZMF Ori; Final D8000).

Freo-1

« Reply #50 on: 16 Mar 2024, 08:06 pm »
Current Rig:

Headphones:  -Ultrasone Edition 15 Open Back.  - Ultrasone Edition 15 Veritas (Closed Back)  -Sony MDR Z7
Sennheiser Momentum 4

DAC/Headphone Amp:  Chord Hugo TT

Headphone Amp:  Kludge OTL

Craig Young

« Reply #51 on: 16 Mar 2024, 10:20 pm »
Mola Mola Tambaqui to XL AUDIO Formula S to HiFiMAN SUSVARA

Alain Arseneault

• Double A
« Reply #52 on: 16 Mar 2024, 11:06 pm »
My headphone set up :
Schiit - Magni with built-in DAC.
Source usb cable from computer.
Headphones : Sennheiser HD650

Modest set up but does the job.

Double A