$175 Class D amp--120 wpc

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: $175 Class D amp--120 wpc
« Reply #1220 on: 15 Apr 2010, 02:13 am »
JTwrace, pardon my ignorance, but isn't there any provisions for either a on/off switch in your case or is your amp design always on?  I purchased a on/off toggle switch for the amp and I wonder how it would fit in your case.  BTW, I am in a quandary about making my ClassD amp with 2 modules, PS module and the transformer.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=76400.1160

see post 1160

inept

« Reply #1221 on: 15 Apr 2010, 02:22 am »
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=76400.1160

see post 1160
I had trouble seeing where it was also. :oops:

It's a little easier to see in these pics....
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=76400.msg765112#msg765112

There is a cutout on the bottom near the front.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #1222 on: 15 Apr 2010, 02:24 am »
I had trouble seeing where it was also. :oops:

It's a little easier to see in these pics....
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=76400.msg765112#msg765112

There is a cutout on the bottom near the front.

There is a cutout.  Of course!!!  It's 20 mm circle.  With purchase I supply a list of parts that will work.  Nice and easy.

Bemopti123

« Reply #1223 on: 15 Apr 2010, 02:35 am »
I see it.  So, instead of the plastic switch in the bottom, I guess I can do the toggle there....just need some large footers in order to get clearance.  I am tempted at ordering your case...will have to study the situation this weekend.   :thumb:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #1224 on: 15 Apr 2010, 02:36 am »
I see it.  So, instead of the plastic switch in the bottom, I guess I can do the toggle there....just need some large footers in order to get clearance.  I am tempted at ordering your case...will have to study the situation this weekend.   :thumb:

The switch that I spec'd cost $2.99 from Radio Shack.  It will save you a lot of work and headache just to get that one.

guest1632

« Reply #1225 on: 15 Apr 2010, 10:26 am »
Hi All,

Well, was just thinking about buyng the Super amp kit. Was also considering asking Tom to beef up the supplied power supply. So any recommendations for the higher value caps?

Also thinking about getting the Parmetal case. I had bought one from him when I built my SKA amp. So if you had ordered one, can you give me the order number? I am mainly concerned about the layout of the back panel. Would a 12X12X3 work ok? Different dimensions are ok too. Don't know the height of the transformer and stuff like that there. Would also like some suggestions as to where to place what in the case.

Nope, can't see the Pics. just a blind guy who likes to do some DIY every now and then.

Ray

Nick77

« Reply #1226 on: 15 Apr 2010, 11:48 am »
Ray most of have found as long as you order the larger power supply you will get great results. Dont know if Tom would be open to upgrade or not, let us know.
12x12x3 will work just fine, i just measured my 400v transformer and it will clear. Not sure about even bigger transformers though.
You might seriously consider JT's predrilled case as the rear panel is already setup and drilled to perfection. Good luck!

guest1632

« Reply #1227 on: 15 Apr 2010, 04:18 pm »
Ray most of have found as long as you order the larger power supply you will get great results. Dont know if Tom would be open to upgrade or not, let us know.
12x12x3 will work just fine, i just measured my 400v transformer and it will clear. Not sure about even bigger transformers though.
You might seriously consider JT's predrilled case as the rear panel is already setup and drilled to perfection. Good luck!

Hi, When it comes time to order, I'll see if I hcan swing the extra bucks for his case.  As far as the supply goes, don't know the current values of the caps in the supply. Just thought I'd ask. With reference to the Parmetal case, the one I have is anodized. I want to see if I can get it lightly powder coated, with the screw holes countersunk.

I presume you put the audio board towards the back of the case and the transformer and supply towards the front of the case? Just guessing. .Don't know the diameter of the Transformer, both width and height. Also don't know the dimentions of the two boards, power and audio. That might help a bit to figure out placement.

Ray

praedet

« Reply #1228 on: 15 Apr 2010, 08:05 pm »
All right guys, I have read this whole thread and I think I am going to put one of these together to go with the DIY Dodd Buffer and GR-Research N2X speakers for a cool 2-channel set-up. Which kit do you recommend for SQ, but the power I will need?

Nick77

« Reply #1229 on: 15 Apr 2010, 09:08 pm »
All right guys, I have read this whole thread and I think I am going to put one of these together to go with the DIY Dodd Buffer and GR-Research N2X speakers for a cool 2-channel set-up. Which kit do you recommend for SQ, but the power I will need?
The N2X are pretty revealing speakers, i would reccomend the SDS224 which is 60 wpc but for just a few bucks more the SDS254 would give you plenty of power for when you upgrade.  :eyebrows:

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #1230 on: 15 Apr 2010, 09:24 pm »

I agree with Nick77, either one he mentioned or the CDA254 would be very good with plenty of output.  Consider these observations from Blair Lamphear, Niteshade Audio.

These amplifiers are tube-like when it comes to representing microdynamics. There is plenty of air around musical instruments and vocals stand out well. Sound staging is different than with tube amps. For example, the power available at any given time is so immense that loud passages will literally jump out at you. With a tube amp, I feel the ambiance is different: Not as forceful, but more enveloping. The bottom end of a Class D amplifier is second to none. Woofer control and bass output are exceptionally good. They love high current, low resistance power supplies for this reason. High frequencies are clean and many will believe they are extended. There is no hint of 'roll off'.  I've been spending a considerable amount of listening time with our new Class D. Presently it's connected to a pair of Von Schweikert VR-2's. These speakers are fairly difficult to drive and they're not bi-amped. The Class D was a perfect match! These speakers opened right up and I have to say the sound is flawless. I never heard these speakers sound so good! There is no better definition of 'system synergy' than the sound of these two paired. Amazing!  I have driven speakers from 100db down to 85db with great success.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #1231 on: 15 Apr 2010, 09:56 pm »
All right guys, I have read this whole thread

:notworthy:  You should get an award (amp) for that.    :lol:

steve k

« Reply #1232 on: 15 Apr 2010, 09:59 pm »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

For sure!! :thumb:
steve

praedet

« Reply #1233 on: 15 Apr 2010, 11:36 pm »
:notworthy:  You should get an award (amp) for that.    :lol:
I agree! :lol:

So, should I ask to upgrade from the 400VA to the 600VA ANTek transformer?  With the Tube buffer, will I need the variable gain?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #1234 on: 15 Apr 2010, 11:38 pm »

So, should I ask to upgrade from the 400VA to the 600VA ANTek transformer?  With the Tube buffer, will I need the variable gain?

I don't think the upgrade in tranny will do much.  Stock buffer is fine IMO.

Nick77

« Reply #1235 on: 16 Apr 2010, 12:09 am »

You asked about SQ, its the upgraded input reciever that the SuperD has that you will want. Adjustable gain is just a plus.

jtsnead

« Reply #1236 on: 16 Apr 2010, 12:15 am »
I have a question about the adjustable gain pot's
If I wanted a greater control range on my preamp
I could adjust the gain lower but how do you know
if you have the channels balanced?

I was thinking I could use a test tone but was wondering
if there was a place I could put my AC or DC meter to tell
if the both channels are balanced.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #1237 on: 16 Apr 2010, 11:20 am »
I have a question about the adjustable gain pot's
If I wanted a greater control range on my preamp
I could adjust the gain lower but how do you know
if you have the channels balanced?

I was thinking I could use a test tone but was wondering
if there was a place I could put my AC or DC meter to tell
if the both channels are balanced.

**This is Super D onlly**

From my previous email to Tom:
You can measure the pots (yellow and black wire) and make sure they are the same. Some preamps sound better when the volume knob is in the lower half of its range, and some up past half way. You can adjust the gain to where your normal listening level is where your preamp volume control sounds the best. Each channel doesn’t have to be the same… you can adjust them to get the best speaker balance in your room.

He also mentioned that with the pot at half way it's roughly 26dB.

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #1238 on: 16 Apr 2010, 01:04 pm »
Each channel doesn’t have to be the same… you can adjust them to get the best speaker balance in your room.

Hmmm... and if you are biamping with a pair, one on each speaker, you could use the gain controls as rudimentary tone controls to change the balance between the high and low frequencies of your speakers.

It's also good for getting the gain right when using these to power subwoofers... I've run into problems where I can't get enough gain out of a particular amp and active crossover combination.

Anyone know what the max/min gain range is of the new Super D amps?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #1239 on: 16 Apr 2010, 01:06 pm »
Anyone know what the max/min gain range is of the new Super D amps?

I will find out and report back...other then low / high.   :)