$175 Class D amp--120 wpc

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: $175 Class D amp--120 wpc
« Reply #1160 on: 13 Apr 2010, 01:26 am »
Here are the latest pics of my Super D amp with my case.  It's up and running and sounding really good.  I'm still playing around with the gain.  I can't believe how quiet it is.   :drool:  If anyone cares I'll post some pics of the top on and it together. 

ebag4

« Reply #1161 on: 13 Apr 2010, 01:42 am »
Beautiful job on the case and the build Jason, very professional!

Best,
Ed

srb

« Reply #1162 on: 13 Apr 2010, 01:57 am »
Here are the latest pics of my Super D amp with my case.

Jason, your last photo is blurry and unrecognizeable, and if I didn't know from previous descriptions that it is probably a photo of the power light reflecting off of the shelf....well, I wouldn't know what it was!

However, if that photo were rotated 90 degrees and used as a photo overlay on 2' X 4' acoustic panels behind each speaker (mirror imaged, of course), I think they would be absolutely gorgeous!

Steve

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #1163 on: 13 Apr 2010, 02:01 am »

Jason, your last photo is blurry and unrecognizeable, and if I didn't know from previous descriptions that it is probably a photo of the power light reflecting off of the shelf....well, I wouldn't know what it was!

However, if that photo were rotated 90 degrees and used as a photo overlay on 2' X 4' acoustic panels behind each speaker (mirror imaged, of course), I think they would be absolutely gorgeous!

Steve

Sorry.   :duh:  I had to take it w/o the flash and didn't use a tripod. 

You're more then welcome to the file if you want it.   :D

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #1164 on: 13 Apr 2010, 02:01 am »
Beautiful job on the case and the build Jason, very professional!

Best,
Ed

Ed,

Thank you very much.  I put quite a bit into this and it's nice to hear that.  The best part, it's available to everyone.   :thumb:

srb

« Reply #1165 on: 13 Apr 2010, 02:04 am »
Sorry.   :duh:  I had to take it w/o the flash and didn't use a tripod. 

Yes, but in the process you have created striking "art"!

Steve

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #1166 on: 13 Apr 2010, 02:06 am »

Yes, but in the process you have created striking "art"!

Steve

A squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile.   :lol:

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #1167 on: 13 Apr 2010, 02:14 am »
Here are the latest pics of my Super D amp with my case.  It's up and running and sounding really good.  I'm still playing around with the gain.  I can't believe how quiet it is.   :drool:  If anyone cares I'll post some pics of the top on and it together. 

Jason,  very, very nice work.  You certainly know your way around a good build.  The casework is awesome!  I'll be interested in giving them a listen someday.  I like the comment about the photoart that you have created, too.    You are an artist in many ways, my friend.

Dave

jtsnead

« Reply #1168 on: 13 Apr 2010, 02:23 am »
Looks good Jason,

the transformer that came with my kit has two brown and two orange wires in addition to the red, black, blue and green ones?

The kit did not come with any instructions besides the transformer drawing.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #1169 on: 13 Apr 2010, 02:31 am »
Looks good Jason,

the transformer that came with my kit has two brown and two orange wires in addition to the red, black, blue and green ones?

The kit did not come with any instructions besides the transformer drawing.

Can't help you on the tranny...I"m sure there are two extra just for other DC items.

No instructions.  That's the fun part!  Just kidding. 

copied from my email from Tom:
I set your amp up for single ended input. The important thing to remember is… do not use the – on the input for single ended. Connect the + to + and the negative to G (ground). If you connect to -, it will damage the amp. For balanced input, just remove J1 and J2 jumpers completely. J1 and J2 have jumpers on pins 2 and 3… this is for single ended input. If you change the jumpers to pins 1 and 2, it will reverse the polarity… most situations this will probably not sound as good, so no need to mess with that.

For the potentiometers included, the black wire goes to the center pin on the pot, and if holding the pot with pins facing up, the yellow wire goes on the left, and the red wire on the right.

That’s really all you have to know. As with our other amps, just be extra careful connecting up the transformer and amp, and everything will be fine. I taped the wires on the transformer to make it easier… but always double check to be sure I didn’t make a mistake.

I’m still trying to get the time to finish a user’s manual. Hope to have it finished soon. Here’s a little more info on the input stage I used in these amps…

standub

« Reply #1170 on: 13 Apr 2010, 04:39 am »
Ok how did you guys attach the transformer to your cases?  It seems that bolts that came with my kit are too short to really be attached, or is there a way to do it with the two together and i'm just missing something?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #1171 on: 13 Apr 2010, 11:17 am »
Ok how did you guys attach the transformer to your cases?  It seems that bolts that came with my kit are too short to really be attached, or is there a way to do it with the two together and i'm just missing something?

Did you see my post above? 

Bolt goes from underside of panel then place one rubber sheet on the bottom then place tranny then place rubber then metal spacer then lock washer and nut.  **tighten**  Enjoy!

standub

« Reply #1172 on: 13 Apr 2010, 02:15 pm »
Did you see my post above? 

Bolt goes from underside of panel then place one rubber sheet on the bottom then place tranny then place rubber then metal spacer then lock washer and nut.  **tighten**  Enjoy!

I shouldn't post so late at night, I didn't get my question across  :duh:  It doesn't seem like the bolts that came with the kit are long enough for this, and I was wondering if there was something to using both of them that came with the kit.  From the sounds of it, it seem they should fit and if not just buy a longer one.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #1173 on: 13 Apr 2010, 02:17 pm »
I shouldn't post so late at night, I didn't get my question across  :duh:  It doesn't seem like the bolts that came with the kit are long enough for this, and I was wondering if there was something to using both of them that came with the kit.  From the sounds of it, it seem they should fit and if not just buy a longer one.

If your case or whatever you're attaching the tranny to is less then 3/8" the bolt is long enough.  Is that what you're concerned about?  Or are you speaking about the standoffs used for the board mounting?

Nick77

« Reply #1174 on: 13 Apr 2010, 02:40 pm »

I had to go buy a longer bolt since i attached to mdf. The bolt and stand offs that are supplied are clearly meant for attaching to a metal case.

parodielin

« Reply #1175 on: 13 Apr 2010, 02:48 pm »
Nick,

Could you eleborate on this a little bit?  I plan to use 1/2" MDF as the bottom and need to mount the Transformer onto it.  The bolt seems quite long to me. 

My question is that is it possible to make a "smooth" bottom?  The bolt end is quite thick and will stick out if I don't flush mount it into MDF.  If I flush mount, I don't know if 1/2 MDF will be "thick" enough to hold the bolt.  Perhpas I should use 3/4" for the bottom and flush mount the bolt?  Or I have to use "feet" (I was try to avoid that to make a simpler case)

Advises are appreciated!

I had to go buy a longer bolt since i attached to mdf. The bolt and stand offs that are supplied are clearly meant for attaching to a metal case.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #1176 on: 13 Apr 2010, 03:17 pm »
Advises are appreciated!

You know what I'd recommend... :thumb:   :D

Nick77

« Reply #1177 on: 13 Apr 2010, 03:26 pm »
Nick,

Could you eleborate on this a little bit?  I plan to use 1/2" MDF as the bottom and need to mount the Transformer onto it.  The bolt seems quite long to me. 

My question is that is it possible to make a "smooth" bottom?  The bolt end is quite thick and will stick out if I don't flush mount it into MDF.  If I flush mount, I don't know if 1/2 MDF will be "thick" enough to hold the bolt.  Perhpas I should use 3/4" for the bottom and flush mount the bolt?  Or I have to use "feet" (I was try to avoid that to make a simpler case)

Advises are appreciated!

I think your concerns are valid, i used 3/4 mdf and flush mounted. I also bought little 1" bolts for the stand offs to work with 3/4". (i forgot the size but HD and Lowes has them)

steve k

« Reply #1178 on: 14 Apr 2010, 03:00 am »
You could also add another piece of 1/2" MDO at the tranny (inside) and countersink the bolt so the bottom is flush. You may need a longer bolt. I countersunk the bottom board so I could use the stock screws for the standoffs. You can use a 3/8" bit so you have enough room to get the screws in.

steve

jtsnead

« Reply #1179 on: 14 Apr 2010, 06:21 am »
Well it is after 2:00AM and I got as far as I could on the Super D Amp
Thanks to Jason for a fine looking case. I drilled some holes and added
some threaded cones I had laying around, need to get the IEC inlet, used
all parts and wiring I had in the house, note the Speltz Anti Cable for speaker
outputs. Fun Stuff