$175 Class D amp--120 wpc

pardales

Re: $175 Class D amp--120 wpc
« Reply #480 on: 25 Feb 2010, 03:26 am »
Take a look at some of the earlier messages posted by Steve (page1, 2, 19 (comp with wyred for sound)Nick (page 6), Jason and avionics (page 4).  They have the amps running and posted their feedback.  Both Steve and Jason have ordered multiple amp boards.  Jason has 600W based on TI chip and 500 watt based on IR chip. 

Couple of other things to think about.  Gary Dodd (page 8) mentioned earlier that he has been playing with one and plans something special around it and other is Blair (Niteshade) just released a amp based around classd board (http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=78167.0)

Thanks for the references. I too would like to hear more about the sound of these units.

Nick77

« Reply #481 on: 25 Feb 2010, 12:44 pm »
    Tom told me he's working on a new "Super D" class of amps now.    Just what we need to hear right? There's always something new and better on the horizon. 

Steve your right about that  :duh:  I wonder if any of these changes can be implemented on our boards? As Shadow mentioned Gary Dodd said he was playing with one and would have some updates also. Looks like Blair improved upon the PS. Im pretty happy with the results i am getting now but i hope we can upgrade to Super D!  :drool:

Edit: Asked Tom about the new prototype, he has had requests for balanced inputs so the new board has balanced inputs and adjustable gain. New features will not be available for exsisting boards.
If you need balanced inputs the new boards should be ready in several weeks.
« Last Edit: 25 Feb 2010, 06:16 pm by Nick77 »

pjchappy

« Reply #482 on: 25 Feb 2010, 08:04 pm »
Hi, Steve! :wave: Ummmm. . .I just actually ordered the amp kit!  The big boy. . .1000 watt IRS kit.  Plan on making it into a 4 channel amp.  :hyper: :banana piano: :dance: :rock: :beer: :bounce: :thankyou: :singing:

(EDIT:) Ordered my kit without the input jacks, output jacks and (as mentioned in my post below), asked him to adjust the gain as necessary.

Regarding the "Super D" amps, just chatted with Tom.  To assuage any fears, he said it's the same amplifier section, but will be a little bigger/more expensive, due to accommodating balanced inputs.  I'm assuming this means it will have XLR inputs on the board itself.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can just wire up the amp balanced, using external connections. . .correct?

Now, jtwrace. . .just waiting on you!!!!  :P :rotflmao:

(It's a smiley-festival day)

Paul

P.S.  Just a friendly reminder.  Do not forget to use the "ACircle" code when checking out for a 5% discount.
« Last Edit: 25 Feb 2010, 09:18 pm by pjchappy »

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #483 on: 25 Feb 2010, 08:24 pm »
I'm assuming this means it will have XLR inputs on the board itself.

That's how the 600w board is that I have...it just has a blue connector on it that clamps down on the wire.  See my pics in the beginning of this thread and you'll see.  I'm sure he's doing the same thing.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can just wire up the amp balanced, using external connections. . .correct?

Well you can wire using an XLR connector. 

Now, jtwrace. . .just waiting on you!!!!  :P :rotflmao:

Good things come to those that wait.   :)  Should have pics in two weeks. 

(It's a smiley-festival day)

Paul

pjchappy

« Reply #484 on: 25 Feb 2010, 08:31 pm »
Well, just got the following e-mail from Tom.  It is regarding balanced inputs / wiring (referring to the IRS boards) and gain adjustments:

Regarding balanced inputs: "These amps do not have a balanced input, but a standard single ended input. You can always use an unbalanced to balanced converter with these amps to convert them to balanced."

Regarding gain adjustments: "Some customers have preamps with only balanced outputs, and some want to run long cables, so this is the reason for the new amps." 

I'm sure many of you knew this, but I'm pretty ignorant on the technical side of things.  I ended up just giving him my preamp specs and told him I will leave it up to him to adjust the gain down or not. (Edit:  He just responded with the following: "I’ll take a closer look at your preamp specs and make adjustments as necessary. We will ship tomorrow."  Great customer service!  :thumb:)

Good things come to those that wait.   :)  Should have pics in two weeks. 

Can't wait!  Literally. . .  :lol:

Paul

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #485 on: 25 Feb 2010, 08:34 pm »
Can't wait!  Literally. . .  :lol:
Paul

If you start wallking now, I promise they'll be done when you arrive in NC.  Deal?   :lol:

pjchappy

« Reply #486 on: 25 Feb 2010, 09:06 pm »
I'm sure Tom wouldn't mind me mentioning this. . . He said AC has generated a lot of interest in his products and is very thankful.  He's been super busy and will pop in here as soon as things settle down.   :thumb:

Paul

TrungT

« Reply #487 on: 25 Feb 2010, 10:15 pm »
Finally Done (for now)

:eyebrows:

Sound Awesome with Dodd Buffer.
 :thumb:

shadowlight

« Reply #488 on: 25 Feb 2010, 10:22 pm »
@trungt

Can you list where you got the extra hit sink from and it seems that you are using different case for transformer and power supply.  Can you post additional pictures for future reference, especially the inside part  :thumb:

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #489 on: 25 Feb 2010, 10:32 pm »
Does anyone know the input impedance of the 120 wpc and/or 250 wpc amp?

I'm not exactly a beginner, but I'm no tech either.  The manuals are good but not "step-by-step".  I could definitely use some help wiring the transformer and power section.  I'm not completely confident in my ability.  Anyone up to a little "tutoring"?  Thanks.

shadowlight

« Reply #490 on: 25 Feb 2010, 10:58 pm »
Does anyone know the input impedance of the 120 wpc and/or 250 wpc amp?

I'm not exactly a beginner, but I'm no tech either.  The manuals are good but not "step-by-step".  I could definitely use some help wiring the transformer and power section.  I'm not completely confident in my ability.  Anyone up to a little "tutoring"?  Thanks.

Edit: Please take a look at the manuals included and consult with Tom.  The info below is how I hooked up mine which is a 250wpc x 2 amp kit but your kit might require different configuration/connection.

From my trial and error which included frying a transformer for the 250wpc x 2 amp kit:

1) Make sure that the two brown wires are separated from each other and capped off.  I had initially twisted those two together and capped it which is what fried the tranny.

2) Twist the two red together and two black wire together, which will be connected to the IEC power adapter.

3) Take the middle blue and green wire from transformer and hook it up to the power supply CT

4) Take the outside green wire from the tranny to power supply AC-L

5) The outside blue wire from tranny goes to power supply AC-N connection

6) Take one positive, one negative and one ground from the power supply to amp board.

7) If you are holding the IEC plug in front of you with the power switch facing away from you, the red wires from the transformer goes to the outside left connector on the IEC adapter and the black wires to the right most connector.

I think that covers hooking up the transformer, power supply and amp board.
« Last Edit: 26 Feb 2010, 02:10 am by shadowlight »

gitarretyp

« Reply #491 on: 25 Feb 2010, 11:02 pm »
The input impedance is ~3k Ohms.

pjchappy

« Reply #492 on: 25 Feb 2010, 11:24 pm »
1) Make sure that the two brown wires are separated from each other and capped off.  I had initially twisted those two together and capped it which is what fried the tranny.

7) If you are holding the IEC plug in front of you with the power switch facing away from you, the red wires from the transformer goes to the outside left connector on the IEC adapter and the black wires to the right most connector.

Regarding #1, great to know! 

Regarding #7, what goes to the ground lug on the IEC, then?  Would that just be to ground the chassis?  From some pics, it looks like some aren't doing this.  Is this safe, or am I just overlooking something?  No part of the tranny is hooked up to the ground of the IEC? 

Paul

shadowlight

« Reply #493 on: 26 Feb 2010, 12:01 am »
Regarding #1, great to know! 

Regarding #7, what goes to the ground lug on the IEC, then?  Would that just be to ground the chassis?  From some pics, it looks like some aren't doing this.  Is this safe, or am I just overlooking something?  No part of the tranny is hooked up to the ground of the IEC? 

Paul

I have it connected to one of the chassis screw as ground for the chassis and it does not connect to transformer in anyway.  Pictures that I have seen without any ground wire seem to be in wood case and that might be the reason for you not seeing it.  If you have a metal case find a way to plug the ground in to be on the safe side.

Nick77

« Reply #494 on: 26 Feb 2010, 12:14 am »
I have it connected to one of the chassis screw as ground for the chassis and it does not connect to transformer in anyway.  Pictures that I have seen without any ground wire seem to be in wood case and that might be the reason for you not seeing it.  If you have a metal case find a way to plug the ground in to be on the safe side.
I spoke to Tom about the ground in a wood case and he said a ground isnt needed unless your having some hum issues. I dont a ground connected to my iec plug in my wood case.

KKM

« Reply #495 on: 26 Feb 2010, 12:29 am »
Thanks for all the info on connecting. Doesn't the kit come with instructions? There's seems to be a lot of interest in these kits, especially with novice builders like myself. It would be nice to have some kind of "Wiki" with all the learnings on one page so that we don't fry ourselves.  :lol:

wushuliu

« Reply #496 on: 26 Feb 2010, 12:37 am »
The website should have pdfs of amp manuals and toroid/fuse/switch wiring. The wiring is very, very straightforward. The ground/brown wiring is new though. Mine came w/o it.

DougSmith

• What will the next hundred years bring?
« Reply #497 on: 26 Feb 2010, 01:02 am »
For those assembling these units, I would suggest that you ping Tom at ClassDAudio with any questions you may have on grounding (or anything else, for that matter).  On his suggestion, I kept the signal ground disconnected from the chassis (and house wiring) ground.  This works fine.  It's safe because everything in enclosed in a grounded chassis (in my case) and it's quiet because the shielded cables connected to the outer ring of the RCA inputs are grounded though other components in the signal chain, and no ground loops are possible.  Speaking of safety, an 8 amp fuse on the transformer input is a good idea as well (this would have saved your first transformer, shadowlight).

- Doug

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #498 on: 26 Feb 2010, 01:33 am »
The website should have pdfs of amp manuals and toroid/fuse/switch wiring. The wiring is very, very straightforward. The ground/brown wiring is new though. Mine came w/o it.

See here: http://classdaudio.com/index.php/manual/?___store=default

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #499 on: 26 Feb 2010, 01:35 am »
From my trial and error which included frying a transformer for the 250wpc x 2 amp kit:

2) Twist the two red together and two black wire together, which will be connected to the IEC power adapter.

3) Take the middle blue and green wire from transformer and hook it up to the power supply CT

4) Take the outside green wire from the tranny to power supply AC-L

5) The outside blue wire from tranny goes to power supply AC-N connection

6) Take one positive, one negative and one ground from the power supply to amp board.

I think that covers hooking up the transformer, power supply and amp board.

That's very kind of you to post.  Keep in mind that some kits are different.  My 600w TI chip based amp does NOT hookup like yours...For everyones saftey, always consult the manual for proper hookup.  If you are not sure, ask Tom at Class D Audio.

Remember this voltage can cause harm or death!