$175 Class D amp--120 wpc

djklmnop

Re: $175 Class D amp--120 wpc
« Reply #2980 on: 4 Jan 2012, 03:19 am »
I have a question. My chassis arrived and I'm mounting the RCA jacks.  I notice that most installations photos of the RCA contains a rubber piece that keeps it from touching the chassis.  The one I bought from Radio Shack is bare.  Would this cause an issue if the negative terminal was touching the chassis?

Nick77

« Reply #2981 on: 4 Jan 2012, 12:56 pm »
I have a question. My chassis arrived and I'm mounting the RCA jacks.  I notice that most installations photos of the RCA contains a rubber piece that keeps it from touching the chassis.  The one I bought from Radio Shack is bare.  Would this cause an issue if the negative terminal was touching the chassis?

Yes, most better quality RCA jacks come with plastic or teflon washers. I found some fiber washers at HD that i used to insulate some RCA's before.

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #2982 on: 4 Jan 2012, 02:17 pm »

I did a quick search over at RadioShack, and all the binding posts seem to be insulated from the mounting surface...

http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=binding%20post&origkw=binding+post&sr=1

Which set did you get?

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #2983 on: 4 Jan 2012, 09:59 pm »
Anyone been in touch with Tom at ClassDaudio over the past couple weeks... trying to get some answers but so far no response.  Hoping they're just out for the holidays.

intelonetwo

« Reply #2984 on: 4 Jan 2012, 10:08 pm »
I have 2 CDA-1000 kits. One with an extra board and both with upgraded 500VA transformers (in case I want to add an extra board later).

I am completely happy with them and Tom is great to work with.

Here is a link to the output of the SDS boards, the CDA's have the same output.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=76400.2820
Post #2827

This is a pic of my 9 channel DSP/Amp case. the DSP's are the unbalanced MiniDSP with advanced plugin. I housed the transfomer and power supply in a seperate enclosure.

I am using the T-amp to power my compression drivers. I am planning to upgrade it as soon as I can find a high quality budget solution.

I have never heard the SDS's but those that have them seem to love them. If the money difference isn't an issue I would go with the SDS line.

Hope this helps,
Moto
Moto, I'm looking at the CDA-1000 KIT as well to power my Emerald Physics CS2. They require 4 channels of amplification. Also because they are actively EQ'd they burn some power to boost the bass so I'm intersted in the idea of a more powerful amplifier. Currently I'm using Dayton Audio dta-100a's.

mboxler

« Reply #2985 on: 4 Jan 2012, 10:43 pm »
Anyone been in touch with Tom at ClassDaudio over the past couple weeks... trying to get some answers but so far no response.  Hoping they're just out for the holidays.

Had a couple of questions for him on Saturday (bridging a CDA-224 into 4 ohm's), got back to me within a couple of hours.

MX48

« Reply #2986 on: 4 Jan 2012, 10:56 pm »
intelonetwo:
If I understand correctly you are using 2 Daytons to power your 2 CS2's? I would think the Daytons would be enough for the high's but you would probably (definitely) notice a difference putting the ClassD 254's on your low end and remove 1 Dayton.

Of course this is not considering sound quality which many say is better on the 254 than the Dayton. I don't have the expertise to make that statement, but I do want to replace my T-amp with something else.

Krikor:
Sometimes I think it makes a difference which email address is used. I have had an email go unanswered and resend it with the other address and have him answer in a couple hours.

Moto

Æ

« Reply #2987 on: 5 Jan 2012, 01:42 am »
I have 2 CDA-1000 kits. One with an extra board and both with upgraded 500VA transformers (in case I want to add an extra board later).

I am completely happy with them and Tom is great to work with.

Here is a link to the output of the SDS boards, the CDA's have the same output.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=76400.2820
Post #2827

This is a pic of my 9 channel DSP/Amp case. the DSP's are the unbalanced MiniDSP with advanced plugin. I housed the transfomer and power supply in a separate enclosure.

I am using the T-amp to power my compression drivers. I am planning to upgrade it as soon as I can find a high quality budget solution.

I have never heard the SDS's but those that have them seem to love them. If the money difference isn't an issue I would go with the SDS line.

Hope this helps,
Moto

I notice that you have a lot of extra internal cabling inside there, all bundled up. Have you considered cleaning it up a bit? Maybe some point to point wiring soldered directly to the circuit boards instead of connectors and interconnects?

MX48

« Reply #2988 on: 5 Jan 2012, 11:37 am »
I notice that you have a lot of extra internal cabling inside there, all bundled up. Have you considered cleaning it up a bit? Maybe some point to point wiring soldered directly to the circuit boards instead of connectors and interconnects?

Yes there is. The bundle between the amp boards are the USB cables to control the MDSP boards. I need custom length cables for those but don't have the expertise to make them. As far as the others I may get to it but right now it has the top on and is in my rack so I can't see them  :D.

Moto

Æ

« Reply #2989 on: 5 Jan 2012, 04:55 pm »
Yes there is. The bundle between the amp boards are the USB cables to control the MDSP boards. I need custom length cables for those but don't have the expertise to make them. As far as the others I may get to it but right now it has the top on and is in my rack so I can't see them  :D.

Moto

I was thinking maybe you abscond with all the internal cables and wire them up properly with pieces of wire and soldered connections. Then there would be no need for "custom made" cables.
I can see with all your pre-made or crimped on connections, it looks like you are a bit intimidated when it comes to soldering.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #2990 on: 5 Jan 2012, 05:45 pm »

I was thinking maybe you abscond with all the internal cables and wire them up properly with pieces of wire and soldered connections. Then there would be no need for "custom made" cables.
I can see with all your pre-made or crimped on connections, it looks like you are a bit intimidated when it comes to soldering.

Yep, and get rid of all of those internal RCA plugs/jacks too.  It's all just unnecessary and definitely mucking up the sound.

MX48

« Reply #2991 on: 5 Jan 2012, 06:44 pm »

it looks like you are a bit intimidated when it comes to soldering
Oh yes.

Yep, and get rid of all of those internal RCA plugs/jacks too
OK! I'll get on it. Quit bustin' my B@@ls  :D.

Then there would be no need for "custom made" cables
The ones I am referencing are the USB, I wouldn't know where to start with those.

Moto

Æ

« Reply #2992 on: 5 Jan 2012, 07:17 pm »
The ones I am referencing are the USB, I wouldn't know where to start with those.

Moto

Cut open and strip back an unused USB cable and take a look at what is inside. Should be no problem using a USB cable without the connectors. Desolder the USB connectors from your circuit boards and then solder in the USB cable directly to the connector pads.

siava1018

« Reply #2993 on: 5 Jan 2012, 09:35 pm »
is there a discount code for AC members.

Nick77

« Reply #2994 on: 5 Jan 2012, 10:32 pm »

Tom was giving us 5% discount, shoot him an email.

firedog

« Reply #2995 on: 6 Jan 2012, 09:49 am »

Look back near the beginning of the thread, there's a discount code - ACircle - that still works (5%), I think.

BTW, now that I've had my SDS-470 for several months, I'm very happy with it. It cost me under $600 built, and I think I would have to spend at least $2500 to beat it. It's better than the amps I've heard that cost less than that. Haven't directly compared it to something truly hi-end, I hope it isn't as good as some of those, b/c if it is people are wasting their money. But some people don't like the sound of  any Class D amp, it seems.

uillean

« Reply #2996 on: 6 Jan 2012, 11:44 pm »
Hello all,
I've just finish this:

This is a sds-224 kit.
I made this preamp for it :

This is an hybrid line stage from Diy hifi supplies from China.
The both work very well together : very clear and "précise" sound (i don't know if it is the right word in english), better than my (very) old and beloved Naim Nait1.
This is the first pre-amp I ever made and, hehe, i'm very proud of the result...
Just for the look, the two enclosures are the same:

JL

Ajani

« Reply #2997 on: 8 Jan 2012, 07:05 pm »
Hello all,
I've just finish this:

This is a sds-224 kit.
I made this preamp for it :

The both work very well together : very clear and "précise" sound (i don't know if it is the right word in english), better than my (very) old and beloved Naim Nait1.
This is the first pre-amp I ever made and, hehe, i'm very proud of the result...

JL

Nice! What are the dimensions of the finished amp?

Ajani

« Reply #2998 on: 8 Jan 2012, 07:09 pm »
Look back near the beginning of the thread, there's a discount code - ACircle - that still works (5%), I think.

BTW, now that I've had my SDS-470 for several months, I'm very happy with it. It cost me under $600 built, and I think I would have to spend at least $2500 to beat it. It's better than the amps I've heard that cost less than that. Haven't directly compared it to something truly hi-end, I hope it isn't as good as some of those, b/c if it is people are wasting their money. But some people don't like the sound of  any Class D amp, it seems.

Cool. I've been considering taking the plunge with a finished SDS-470 ($590) for quite some time. If you don't mind my asking; what is the rest of your system and have you had any issues with the unit?

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #2999 on: 9 Jan 2012, 12:11 am »

JL

Nice builds!