Replacing Aurum Cantus Tweeter Ribbons

GeorgeAb

Replacing Aurum Cantus Tweeter Ribbons
« on: 1 Jan 2022, 12:09 am »
This has happened to me a couple times from either operator or equipment error.  The process applies to the Aurum Cantus 2si and 3si ribbons used in a number of the VMPS Ribbon Monitor speakers.  Fairly easy process, take your time, take some deep breaths and follow the attached manufacture’s instruction. https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/installation-guides/ribbon-replacement-instructions-installation-guide.pdf

Couple of pointers:

Step one is to order some more ribbons as Parts Express is currently back ordered three months. Fortunately, I had a spare set https://www.parts-express.com/Aurum-Cantus-G2Si-Replacement-Ribbon-276-401

Only tools are 2mm hex wrench for faceplate, medium Phillips for blocks, and toothpick.

Maintain the orientation of the two metal blocks holding the ribbon in same position they where when you removed.

Ribbon shiny side down.

Last corrugated crease goes right up to the inside edge of the holding block.

Do not touch the corrugated portion of ribbon with fingers. You can grab the end with fingers or tweezer to position in block. Once one end is in and taped down you grab other side and bring to other end cutout. I use a wooden toothpick to manipulate the ribbon (nothing ferrous) for orientating the ribbon midway between the magnets.  Also handy when you poke a hole in the ribbon for screw holding support block.

When you have the position of the ribbon in place and you secure the position with a piece of scotch tape on excess ribbon going down the outside of the block put the tape on lower portion of ribbon. I say this as if you have to remove scotch tape to reposition ribbon it will tear the ribbon and you will have less excess ribbon to work with.

When you are ready to tighten down the screw that holds the block with you screwdriver hold the screwdriver securely so the magnetism doesn’t take your screwdriver into the ribbon destroying it.   

That’s all I got.  It has been cold here (low humidity) and usually ground myself before I touch any equipment, but something happened where my PS Audio PerfectWave DAC got a (ESD) shock and went berserkers full on noise. Took out the fuse of my Simaudio Moon W-7 Power Amp and vaporized ribbons. My heart skipped a beat when my Moon Amp didn’t power up… love that amp. 

« Last Edit: 5 Jan 2022, 01:28 am by GeorgeAb »