• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER
« Reply #1061 on: 7 Dec 2017, 11:38 am »

Krutsch

« Reply #1062 on: 7 Dec 2017, 07:53 pm »
^ an award well deserved. I auditioned a BHA-1 at my local dealer and I was completely blown away by the sound, using either a set of Mr Speakers Ether Flow (open back) or an AudioQuest NightHawk. I own the NH, so I am familiar with the sound and the BHA-1 crushes my current solid state headphone amp.

I guess it should at $2K US ... still, it's at the top of my Head-Fi shopping list.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #1063 on: 7 Dec 2017, 08:10 pm »
Are there any $ prizes for these Awards?

Seems reasonable to offer one...or two...  :lol:

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #1064 on: 7 Dec 2017, 08:21 pm »
^ an award well deserved. ...clip... the BHA-1 crushes my current solid state headphone amp.

You mean the Rhinelander?

Krutsch

« Reply #1065 on: 7 Dec 2017, 08:27 pm »
You mean the Rhinelander?

Yes (I have others, but that's my current SS amp in use).

I like it and I think it's a solid choice at $500. But at 1/4th the price of the BHA-1, you get what you pay for. Well, i should say it's easy to pay too much and hard to pay too little.

R. Daneel

« Reply #1066 on: 11 Dec 2017, 01:38 pm »
What's the current pricing on the BHA-1?

It was 1300 $US when I bought mine although I bought it in Europe so it cost 1300 EUR.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #1067 on: 11 Dec 2017, 01:55 pm »

It was 1300 $US when I bought mine although I bought it in Europe so it cost 1300 EUR.

It's more than $2K here, after taxes. Very glad I bought mine eons ago at much less $.

95Dyna

« Reply #1068 on: 11 Dec 2017, 06:08 pm »

$1,995.00 US.  Just bought one recently.

Raiderone

« Reply #1069 on: 28 Dec 2017, 03:33 pm »
Were any changes made to the BHA-1 since it was introduced?  Seems like a pretty steep jump in price albeit around 4 years have passed?

95Dyna

« Reply #1070 on: 28 Dec 2017, 10:04 pm »
Were any changes made to the BHA-1 since it was introduced?  Seems like a pretty steep jump in price albeit around 4 years have passed?

As an owner of one I believe, as does most of the audio press, that it was underpriced to start with.  Relative to its current competition it is appropriately priced.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1071 on: 28 Dec 2017, 10:12 pm »
Hi Folks

Yes the BHA-1 was mis-priced when it was first introduced and the bean counters said we either raise the price or discontinue it.

The weird part is we sell more of them now then we did then?

james

rob80b

« Reply #1072 on: 29 Dec 2017, 02:46 pm »
Hi Folks

Yes the BHA-1 was mis-priced when it was first introduced and the bean counters said we either raise the price or discontinue it.

The weird part is we sell more of them now then we did then?

james

I wondered about that...especially since it originally clocked in at almost half the price of the BP-6 and gave my BP25 a run for the money.... 
https://web.archive.org/web/20130517205634/https://www.audioadvisor.com/products.asp?dept=12

The "high-end crowd"... they had their doubts  as it was too affordable, relatively speaking, and considered too expensive for the entry level....times have since changed and now sits in the sweet spot.  :thumb:

rob80b

« Reply #1073 on: 29 Dec 2017, 03:18 pm »
Speaking of the BHA-1...anyone else like to see to a an update or a possible retrofit board for the balanced headphone outputs...possibly converting the dual balanced xlrs (anyone actually use these anymore) into another 4pin XLR and the inclusion of the newly introduced 4.4 mm balanced Pentaconn (may become the new balanced standard). Looking at the layout it shouldn't be too much of a modification but it would definitely make the BHA-1 a more attractive progressive purchase for many.....Just a New Years thought!

R. Daneel

« Reply #1074 on: 30 Dec 2017, 11:12 am »
It's a good example of how the market actually works. There's a lot of psychology behind it of course.

I remember what the owner of Audio Epilog, a small loudspeaker manufacturer from Croatia, once said. While they were selling their speakers at high prices, they sold pretty well. He wanted to make it more affordable for the customers and the sales dropped. In fact, they dropped so much that they had to increase the prices to be higher than they originally were to save the company from bankruptcy.

The point is, Audio Epilog sold their speakers because abroad they were seen as a boutiqze company from an exotic country. Even though I live in Croatia and there is nothing exotic about it to me, I know that's how North America perceives us. As soon as they decreased the prices, there was suddenly nothing 'boutique' about it and the speakers became something cheap that's not made in the US.

Luxury industry works like this all over the world. We are not talking heavy machinery, ship-building, pharmaceuticals or semiconductor industries here and you don't die if you don't have it.

R. Daneel

« Reply #1075 on: 30 Dec 2017, 11:18 am »
What Rob said about the connectors is perfectly valid and I agree 100%. Bryston must remember that dual 3-pin XLR connection was an act of desperation for the early DIYers because nothing else was available. While technically there is nothing wrong with this type of connection, quite the opposite actually, it is not very practical for headphone users. What's more, if Sony is now behind the Pentacon connection type, then others will follow and more and more headphone manufacturers will implement this type of a connection. Bryston should seriously take this into consideration.

Cheers!
Antun

Falldog

« Reply #1076 on: 6 Jan 2018, 03:15 pm »
Jan. 6, 2018
Looks like the BHA-1 Headphone Amp came out in 2012.  There is a used BHA-1 for sale in my area that was purchased in 2013.  Price for this used gear seems reasonable.  Question is should i get it?  Have there been any changes/improvements to the BHA-1 since 2012/2013?   Any plans for a new BHA model?  I am not in a rush.  I would wait to buy a new one if there is reason to.  Right now, I have a Violectric HPA V1 Headphone Amp (end of life).  Want to try something different.  I own a Bryston BDP-2 and BDA-3 and I am happy with them.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #1077 on: 7 Jan 2018, 04:51 pm »
Jan. 6, 2018
Looks like the BHA-1 Headphone Amp came out in 2012.  There is a used BHA-1 for sale in my area that was purchased in 2013.  Price for this used gear seems reasonable.  Question is should i get it?  Have there been any changes/improvements to the BHA-1 since 2012/2013?

Early models did not have the preamp outputs at the back. Beyond that I do not believe there have been any significant changes.

odessamarin

« Reply #1078 on: 24 Jan 2018, 11:33 pm »
Jan. 6, 2018
...Have there been any changes/improvements to the BHA-1 since 2012/2013?   Any plans for a new BHA model?

The one that i know is a volume potentiometer. At the momen in the BHA-1 features list on the site Bryston claim the use "High quality Noble stereo volume control". But my amp from 2012, some very first vertions i guess... and there Alps volume potentiometer inside. Intresting that if you google BHA-1 for inside pictures, you will find both vertions with Alps and Noble.
Alps
http://www.hifisentralen.no/forumet/hi-fi-generelt/22252-innmat-hva-du-vil-108.html#post2252641
Noble
http://www.fotos-hochladen.net/uploads/seite6it9hyra7x8.jpg
 I am also courioius from which year they change it, what was the resason, is it sounds that better...?

R. Daneel

« Reply #1079 on: 25 Jan 2018, 10:04 am »
James, have there been changes to how the volume control Works? My BHA-1 has a tailored volume control that has a fine adjustment between 9 and 15 o'clock and a rather steep adjustment below and above that. Has this been changed to a linear or logarithmic volume adjustment?

Cheers!
Antun