BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER

veloceleste

Re: BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER
« Reply #560 on: 21 Jan 2013, 03:33 am »
BHA-1 in the house! After exhaustive reading and research I bought the BHA-1 on faith, which is very, very rare for me to do. I have never listened to a dedicated headphone amp before today when I listened to my BHA-1 for about an hour.   'phones are Beyerdynamic DT250-80 which to me seem very neutral.  I only recently started listening to headphones and didn't want to spend a lot without auditioning.  I had a chance to compare the DT250-80, DT250-250, DT880 and a Sennheiser model of which I forget the number all at the same time and was impressed enough with the 250-80 that I purchased a set.
I have been listening via a B60. Initial  findings reveal the BHA-1 is cleaner, crisper (not brighter), more detailed, has fuller bass,  better separation, more sense of space around the instruments and what I like most of all, the improved sense of attack and speed of the music. (Did I leave anything out?)  Inputs and outputs are unbalanced.  I have balanced cables on order for the source and I have also ordered xlr to rca adapters so I can use the BHA-1 as a preamp.  More to follow once the adapters arrive.  I know several are curious about the BHA-1 as a preamp.

mkaiser

« Reply #561 on: 21 Jan 2013, 07:20 pm »
I am currently using the BHA as a preamp in comparison to the BP26. So far they are both very close to the same performance and cannot identify yet much differences, i'll keep posted when something new should happen with my findings.
Both BP26 and BHA1 units are substantially broken in.
System consists of: 4bsst2, BP26, BCD1, Oppo105, BHA1, Martin Logan Montis loudspeakers, Torus AVR15 and all cabling is Cardas Clear throughout.

Mark

Ron D

« Reply #562 on: 21 Jan 2013, 09:26 pm »
Mark - would be interesting to get your take on how the BHA-1 compares to the 105's headphone application...

mkaiser

« Reply #563 on: 22 Jan 2013, 01:12 am »
Mark - would be interesting to get your take on how the BHA-1 compares to the 105's headphone application...

Hi Ron,
I did test the BHA and the Oppo 105's headphone output a few days after receiving it and letting it run in for 4 days. It only took about 1 song to realize that the BHA is far more superior even though the 105 has the infamous Sabre DAC in it. The sonic performance resembles the same as plugging in headphones to a preamps headphone output - I have to admit I was a bit disappointed as Oppo go on about it like it's the holy grail but, for me nothing special. Another thing to remember is that the OPPO has its own volume control so i had to using both - set the OPPO to max and then used the BHA volume to the level of your choice. The detail was as good as Bryston as well as all the layering of bass notes and ambience just no impact or dynamics when used as a headphone amp. I have not used the Oppo for music since but, really bought it for the Bluray capability that all the big dogs apparently are cloning. My new 70" Sharp LCD Elite comes in tomorrow so I will check out it's video performance as my TV demands top notch processing and scaling.
If you're using CD's as your medium then I would stay with a dedicated cdp and leave the Oppo for home cinema and live concert duties. This unit does a lot for its money and is worth it but at the end of the day it is still only a $1200 universal bluray player.

Mark

Vipers

« Reply #564 on: 30 Jan 2013, 03:23 pm »
Hi Guys,

Are there any HiFiMan HE-6 users out there with a BHA-1?

I've had my HE-6's for a couple of months now, and obviously they are considered the toughest headphones to drive on the planet, the best I have heard them sound is on my fully balanced BHA-1/BDP-1/BDA-1 set up and they sound excellent and can be driven at a reasonable volume, but I've still got a niggling feeling that I'm still not quite getting the best from them.

So I've just got this HiFiMan little black box in, Its called the HE Adaptor and it lets me power my HE-6's direct from any power amp, obviously I'm thinking Bryston here :) Is it considered overkill to power a pair of headphones direct from a pair of Bryston 7B's  :icon_twisted:

I can't wait to try it later, hope the headphones don't melt though. What I am really trying to achieve is to see how good the BHA-1 is at driving the HE-6's as it seems to do a stellar job but at least this way I can hear them at their max then try them on the BHA-1 and see how it compares, if the BHA-1 can drive the HE-6's as well as the adaptor then that is really saying something, it's almost the ultimate test of the BHA-1.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to test it out later.

zeiter

« Reply #565 on: 5 Feb 2013, 01:47 pm »
From Audeze support :
When deciding what amp to buy It is very subjective and opinions vary a lot. Here are some thoughts on selecting a good amplifiers for LCD-2. We have tested the LCD-2 with quite a number of studios and recording engineers. The LCD-2 has an impedance of 50 ohms, which is purely resistive and is almost perfectly flat across the entire frequency range.http://www.audeze.com/2009/12/waterfall-plots-low-frequency-extensi...  Lets us say you listen to symphony-orchestra. This type of music can have dynamic range of 60 dB. i.e if silence (room noise) is at 60 dB (LCD-2 is  pen type headphone design with almost no attenuation of ambient noise) and the maximum occasional peak needs to be 120 dB. I am just giving an example here, but depending upon the type of music and the recording this varies. 120 dB is very loud - almost Rock Concert level close to the speaker. For the LCD-2, if you put 1 mw of power, you get about 90dB output. For this example, let us assume 90dB is the level you listen normally. To reproduce the occasional 120 dB peak without clipping on the LCD-2, the amplifier would have to output 1000 times more power than 1mw, i.e 1 W. So, an amplifier that can output 1w is the bare minimum. Amplifiers will have distortion metrics at different wattage levels. If an amp can output maximum 1w it would be barely sufficient and might have a lot of distortion at full output. So I would suggest an Amp that would at least be able to provide a couple of watts of output without any clipping. Damping in amplifiers is not a big problem for LCD-2 since the impedance doesn't vary.

Now I know the BHA-1 has 0.5 w of nominal power at 50 ohms, which is 1/4 of what's mentioned above  for the LCD2. Yet I drive my LCD3 at volume between 9 an 11, and find that really loud, and do not need anymore. But am I missing something like more headroom or something else  if I had that extra power ?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #566 on: 5 Feb 2013, 05:29 pm »
The writer lists 2 different headphones -

The Audeze website listing for the LCD2  claims a sensitivity of 91dB @ 1mW and an impedance of 60 ohms and the LCD3 claims to be 50 ohms and a sensitivity of 93dB. 
For 120db SPL it will require about 1000mW for the LCD2 and about 500mW with the LCD3. The BHA1 will still have 10dB of headroom at these levels.

The BHA1 is rated at a load of 32 ohms and an output power of 500mW with distortion typically at 001% 20 to 20kHz.
At 2000mW the BHA1 distortion into 50 ohms is typically less than .004% and will not reach 1% distortion until it reaches 8 watts output or 130 db SPL.

james

zeiter

« Reply #567 on: 5 Feb 2013, 08:14 pm »
Thanks James

spinner

« Reply #568 on: 8 Feb 2013, 09:29 pm »
Love that BHA :thumb:

Gradofan

« Reply #569 on: 17 Feb 2013, 04:43 pm »
I am currently using the BHA as a preamp in comparison to the BP26. So far they are both very close to the same performance and cannot identify yet much differences, i'll keep posted when something new should happen with my findings.
Both BP26 and BHA1 units are substantially broken in.
System consists of: 4bsst2, BP26, BCD1, Oppo105, BHA1, Martin Logan Montis loudspeakers, Torus AVR15 and all cabling is Cardas Clear throughout.

Mark

Are you using the balanced output connections on the rear pannel to connect to your amp via balanced cables?  And... are you using a balanced source to connect to the balanced inputs on the rear panel? 

My BHA-1 has the balanced output connections on the rear panel, but the manual doesn't show them, nor does any technical info on the mfr's web site.  I assume they've been added without an update to the manual.  And... I assume they're used to connect to an amp to allow use of the BHA-1 as a pre-amp.  But, I've seen no confirmation of that anywhere.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #570 on: 17 Feb 2013, 04:54 pm »
Are you using the balanced output connections on the rear pannel to connect to your amp via balanced cables?  And... are you using a balanced source to connect to the balanced inputs on the rear panel? 

My BHA-1 has the balanced output connections on the rear panel, but the manual doesn't show them, nor does any technical info on the mfr's web site.  I assume they've been added without an update to the manual.  And... I assume they're used to connect to an amp to allow use of the BHA-1 as a pre-amp.  But, I've seen no confirmation of that anywhere.

Hi

Yes the rear balanced outs are in parallel with the fronts and allow the BHA to be used as a preamp - a mighty fine one I might add  :thumb:

James

Gradofan

« Reply #571 on: 17 Feb 2013, 07:20 pm »
Hi

Yes the rear balanced outs are in parallel with the fronts and allow the BHA to be used as a preamp - a mighty fine one I might add  :thumb:

James

Well... then I'll be trying it out as a preamp to my amp driving my KEF LS50's (phenomenal speakers) - but, I guess I'll have to get some balanced interconnects to do so. 

I've also been impressed with it's performance into my Grado PS1000's and RS-1's - possibly the best amp I've had to drive them. 

Though, the WA 6SEm and the Burson Soloist are also superb... the BHA-1 may have a slight bit more resolution, while the others have great PRAT, dynamics and weight, which may be a slight bit better than the BHA-1.  Finese vs Power... I guess. 

bobNL

• Some say he's a purist
« Reply #572 on: 17 Feb 2013, 09:50 pm »
Hi Gradofan,

Agree that the combination with Grado cans is great, own the GS1000 myself.

There are many members that are interested in the BHA-1 as a preamp.
Please let us know, when your interconnects turn up.

What poweramp are you using?

Cheers,
Bob

BrysTony

« Reply #573 on: 18 Feb 2013, 04:13 pm »
Just want to say that I am very pleased with the capability/flexibility added to my system by the BHA-1.  I have the BHA-1 inputs set up as balanced tape loop from my preamp and single-ended from my BDA-1.  The BHA-1 output is to a single-ended amp (driving outdoor patio speakers) using female XLR to female RCA adapters.  With this arrangement I can control the volume of the outside speakers separately from the volume inside and play different sources inside and outside at the same time.  The BHA-1 works perfectly as a preamp and gives me good sound quality outside driving my Bose  :peek: outdoor speakers.

Tony

James Tanner

• Facilitator

jtinto

« Reply #575 on: 21 Feb 2013, 09:23 pm »
http://hometheaterreview.com/bryston-bha-1-headphone-amppreamp-reviewed/
james

After owning a BHA-1 for a couple of months, I agree with most of that review.
I'm not so sure about the benefits of recabling my Grados for using balanced ... they sound great single-ended

Cheers

Marius

« Reply #576 on: 21 Feb 2013, 09:46 pm »
HI James,

Today received my BHA replacement, and this unit behaves differently form the former at power-up. The former had the power-led light red and when fully charged turned green, as all my other amps do (power, and pre-amp). This new BHA is green instantly though, did Bryston change the circuits in anyway to allow for this?

Marius

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #577 on: 21 Feb 2013, 10:23 pm »
HI James,

Today received my BHA replacement, and this unit behaves differently form the former at power-up. The former had the power-led light red and when fully charged turned green, as all my other amps do (power, and pre-amp). This new BHA is green instantly though, did Bryston change the circuits in anyway to allow for this?

Marius

Gee I am not sure - ask Mike that one.

James

BrysTony

« Reply #578 on: 21 Feb 2013, 10:46 pm »

Hi Marius,

My BHA-1 also goes to green instantly at power on which is what the owner's manual says it does.  If you were using an external power supply and the power supply was on and BHA-1 was off the LED would be red.

Tony

mkaiser

« Reply #579 on: 21 Feb 2013, 10:46 pm »
HI James,

Today received my BHA replacement, and this unit behaves differently form the former at power-up. The former had the power-led light red and when fully charged turned green, as all my other amps do (power, and pre-amp). This new BHA is green instantly though, did Bryston change the circuits in anyway to allow for this

Marius

Mine has always powered up with green LED only.