NOH mo' Money

Doc Jr 8156

NOH mo' Money
« on: 3 Jul 2004, 02:10 am »
Hello,
Just a shout to fellow NOH owners and prospective ones.  Ever since my NOH arrived, my audio money went into dire straits.  For being so revealing and being so neutral, my NOH prompted me to get better NOS tubes (Telefunkens) for my CDP and better interconnects (DIY Silvers w/ Eichmanns).  Since the NOH is so quiet, I have to upgrade my power supply from Monster HTS to Transcendent Balance Power.  It also prompted me to get a new TT (Teres).  At present I'm really evaluating my Hagerman phonostage hard, to see if it is up to the task with my NOH.  In short, the NOH revealed every nuissance in the audio chain and presented them to my speakers (Newforms, Fostex Horns, and vintage Bozaks) as they should. No money but happy and very satisfied with my preamp.  I don't even know if mine is an MKII or MK III.  John, please tell me its an MKIII or else I need to tap in my savings for the upgrade.  Just my rant.  Godspeed.

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
NOH mo' Money
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jul 2004, 03:10 am »
Hello!

fun post - but you are scaring all the customers away. Maybe that's not so bad - I might even catch up.....

You have MK III's so take that money and blow it on some records! Yours were some of the first MK III's to ship - looking back at the date you built it.

Thansk!

John

Doc Jr 8156

NOH mo' Money
« Reply #2 on: 3 Jul 2004, 05:24 pm »
Thanks John.  Now I can rest worrying if it is an MK II or MKIII.  Boy, I love my NOH.  For those prospective owners, no time to procastinate my friends, the reward of owning a very good TVC is just a phone call away and you can proudly say; "Its an MK III".  Godspeed.

Marbles

Re: NOH mo' Money
« Reply #3 on: 3 Jul 2004, 06:36 pm »
Quote from: Doc Jr 8156

It also prompted me to get a new TT (Teres).  At present I'm really evaluating my Hagerman phonostage hard ...

Which Hagtech phono pre do you have?

Doc Jr 8156

NOH mo' Money
« Reply #4 on: 3 Jul 2004, 06:55 pm »
Marbles,
I have the Cornet with Rikens and Mills resistors, Hovland and Panasonic caps and upgraded vampire connectors.  My tube right now are National Union rectifier, Telefunken 12ax7 and Amperex 12au, all NOS.  Connected to Acoustic Zen MKII cablings and Transcendent Balance Power as the power supply. No slouch but I think can be improved.  Presently looking at transformer coupled phonostage.  Godspeed.

capo

NOH mo' Money
« Reply #5 on: 3 Jul 2004, 07:27 pm »
Doc,

The K&K is nice.

Transformer coupled output results in a low output impedance of 200 ohms.

Marbles

NOH mo' Money
« Reply #6 on: 3 Jul 2004, 08:05 pm »
Good luck Doc.  Sounds similar to my Cornet.  I use the S&B TX103 Step Up transformers for my low output cart.

Does Bent have a transformer based phono pre now?

Doc Jr 8156

NOH mo' Money
« Reply #7 on: 4 Jul 2004, 04:52 am »
Hello,
Marbles, Bent is not the brand of the phonostage I'm investigating.  actually capo hit it on the head.  K&K phono kit.  Godspeed.

Ed Sawyer

good call
« Reply #8 on: 6 Jul 2004, 12:43 am »
the K&K is a nice unit, no doubt. Lundahl iron is hard to beat in that application, esp. since it is amorphous core.

A friend and I are working on an all-DHT, transformer-coupled (mostly) phonostage project, using John's S&B stepups and RIAA. It will hopefully come together this fall/winter, we'll see. If it works out well, it would likely be a public domain project, probably.

the TX-102s could be incorporated for level control too, if desired.

I just got a new (active) preamp that uses tx-102 silvers and the Seiden switch as the volume control, it is quite sublime, the best pre I have ever heard or owned. Will post pics sometime. (Many thanks to John for those parts, of course)

-Ed

gonefishin

NOH mo' Money
« Reply #9 on: 6 Jul 2004, 12:56 am »
Hi Ed...love to see some updated pictures of your system :)

take care,
  dan

Ed Sawyer

forthcoming soon
« Reply #10 on: 6 Jul 2004, 12:58 am »
I have about 3 systems going at the moment, but am overdue to take some pics of Josh's latest (the aforementioned AV20/801 preamp). It's quite a piece of work. Will post some soon hopefully. Will take it on film (chromes) then have those scanned to photoCD. my Digital camera is not good enough to do it justice, unfortunately.

thanks
-Ed