Anyone else excited about the Elac DS-101 music server?

RDavidson

I've dragged my feet getting fully into computer audio and streamers. For one reason or another, I just didn't feel that most of the affordable options were quite "there" yet. I've been waiting for something that is basically like a Squeezebox Touch, but better. With that said, Elac appears to have a truly killer product in the DS-101. What sets it apart from others, you ask? It has Roon built in! Not only that, it is $999, though I'm sure the street price will be a little less.

http://www.audioholics.com/gadget-reviews/elac-ds-101-discovery-server

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: Anyone else excited about the Elac DS-101 music server?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Feb 2016, 03:16 pm »
This is news to me. Thanks for mentioning it. I hope some folks try it and post their impressions. I'm still using a SBT myself.

KLH007

« Reply #2 on: 17 Feb 2016, 05:44 pm »
Yes, the DS-101 sounds intriguing, Lifetime ROON, but only spdif out and analog, I wonder what DAC chip and USB receiver are being used?

hifial

• Ambassador, Sound Galleries & Taiko Audio
    • Sound Test
« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2016, 07:35 pm »
Sorry, but you are misinformed, as is almost all of the press in their reporting of it.

It does NOT come with a FULL Roon experience and full license even with an upgrade price.

See below for responses from the COO of Roon on the Roon Forum about this.

dannyDanny DulaiCOO of Roon Labs
Dec '15

Just to be clear about Elac's upcoming product, the Discovery is designed to be a self-contained device, and has a built-in limited version of Roon Server installed on it. It won't have all of Roon's features like lyrics, DSD and high-resolution formats, or the ability to stream to PCs, AirPlay speakers, and Roon Ready devices from our partners. The license is tied to the device rather than to you as a customer, so it's not a Roon Lifetime license, either.

The purpose of our partnership with Elac is to provide a simple, turn key version of the Roon experience, but there will always be features in our Annual and Lifetime memberships that are only available by upgrading.

Deezer, Rhapsody and TuneIn

this stuff was in an early build, and shouldn't have made it out the door. It is not actually being released. The press has jumped the gun :smile:

dannyDanny DulaiCOO of Roon Labs
Jan 16

"Busy show miscommunication" indeed. This needs some clarification here.

ELAC DISCOVERY IS NOT ROON

As this keeps popping up over and over, I can make it very clear: ELAC Discovery is not Roon, nor can it be turned into Roon at any price.

The ELAC offering is powered by Roon's library management engine, but does it's own audio management. This means all the Roon audio offerings don't automatically come into the ELAC products. The confusion is surely coming from the fact that it is currently being demoed with full Roon UI at these trade shows, and no one is doing crazy stuff like HQ Player or DSD in the demos.

Shipping, it will lack many Roon features out of the box (I mention a few earlier in this thread). The upgrade price will open up some of those features, but many will be unavailable even for an upgrade.

Much of our current work, and future roadmap has plans for that either don't make sense for ELAC, or won't come with ELAC's offerings.

The ELAC Discovery is a great product, but it is not Roon in a box. It is it's own ecosystem with benefits of its own.

Buy ELAC because it is a great product on its own. Do not buy ELAC to get Roon. Do not think that buying ELAC is a way to get Roon cheaply. ELAC provides a great audio system with a great user experience, and I believe that it'll be one of the best experiences out of the box (once it is released). However, it is will not be Roon.

The marketing of this product is the hype-machine-gone-bad. It is such a great product on its own, I'm confused to why it's being tied to Roon so much.

The only vendor selling the full Roon-in-box experience right now is SOtM and their device doesn't come with a Roon membership. You still need that from Roon Labs. More of these types of manufacturers are coming up as well

Here is the link to the thread at the Roon Forum

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-server-appliance-from-elac/4205/24

Also keep in mind that there will be other companies introducing their own versions over the next one to six months, aprox. What they may offer is up for speculation. But there will be ones in the same price range, +/- $1,000.

Two to keep in mind are from Sonore. The microRendu ( due out soon) and the sonicOrbiter SE (which is out now).

http://www.sonore.us/

Hope this helps.

RDavidson

« Reply #4 on: 17 Feb 2016, 10:04 pm »
Yes. This is very helpful. Thank you!

I will now go back to patiently waiting for that great, non-computer, all encompassing, yet easy if not fun to use digital source product at a bargain price....though the Auralic Aries Mini is quite enticing at just $599, even without Room.

KLH007

« Reply #5 on: 18 Feb 2016, 12:48 am »
hifial, Thanks for the clarification and link. It has a very limited and compromised ROON version.  I still would like to know what makes it tick, DAC chip and USB receiver?

hifial

• Sound Test
« Reply #6 on: 18 Feb 2016, 02:52 am »
hifial, Thanks for the clarification and link. It has a very limited and compromised ROON version.  I still would like to know what makes it tick, DAC chip and USB receiver?

I can not help you on the DAC chip (not sure it has one) or the USB receiver. Will just have to wait for them to release more info.

hifial

• Sound Test
« Reply #7 on: 18 Feb 2016, 02:59 am »
Yes. This is very helpful. Thank you!

I will now go back to patiently waiting for that great, non-computer, all encompassing, yet easy if not fun to use digital source product at a bargain price....though the Auralic Aries Mini is quite enticing at just $599, even without Room.

You are welcome.

I would not be so hot on the Mini, as it has some limitations. And Roon is one of the BEST Audio products I (and most who have tried it) am using, yet. And it is getting better all the time. There will be better choices vs the Mini, soon.