Triangulated Cart Mounting

Zero One

Triangulated Cart Mounting
« on: 20 Nov 2006, 10:58 am »
I have been playing with cartridge isolators etc and my cart is mounted on doule sided tape without screws and reinforced with bluetac, it sounds dodgy but the sound sure isn't anyway my latest tweak involves running stabilizers that run from the lower side of the cart body back to the edge of the headshell. This was intended to improve bass and really came out of experiments with a longhorn type mod.

The stabilizers fit into notches I have cut into the trailing edge of the stylus mount, they are embedded in bluetac, on the headshell end, the matchstick struts are notched to hook over the edge of the headshell and embed into blue tac there as well.

This naturally removes pretty much all lateral movement/vibration of the cart whilst still allowing the foam tape to reduce vertical impacts and vibration. It adds almost no weight to the cart assembly.

So what does it sound like.

Incredible...really, and this is with a very cheap cart.

In fact so great is the change it sounds as though I have put a far dearer and more sophistcated cart on the TT.

It is such an easy mod and of course can easily be reversed, it is almost a sin not to try it, especially if you are using an isolator of some type.

This is not the final version of course, I actually intend to make a balsa shroud that mounts on the edge of the headshell and currounds the cart, with bluetac between the shroud and the cart, It probably won't sound better but I just want it to look nice with the same effect.

hope it helps someone.

TheChairGuy

Re: Triangulated Cart Mounting
« Reply #1 on: 20 Nov 2006, 03:20 pm »
Zero One,

Words do not do your tweeks justice.  I, for one, are having a hare\d time visualizing your tweeks - substantial as they are.  I'd like to follow along better  :)

Can you post pics so that we can read, and visualize, them together?

If you need any help in posting pics, just ask, and I'll guide you thru the process.

Thx, John / TCG

Zero One

« Reply #2 on: 20 Nov 2006, 11:00 pm »
Hi Chair Guy, yep I know what you means and I thought pics could not be posted on this forum, just had a look and found the tab, so I will take a shot and post it later when I get a chance.

Many thanks
Zero One

TheChairGuy

« Reply #3 on: 21 Nov 2006, 12:31 am »
Yeah, it's not hard, but not real easy either.

You need to create a gallery first.  Then, once the pics are mounted you need to left click on them a couple times, then right click and get to the Properties area.  Copy of the .jpg or .gif address and mount them in between the "Insert Image" icon you see above as you write (the second from the right)

Preview it to make sure you got it right and then, post it  :thumb:

John / TCG