repair of RM-30 downward firing passive radiators

Regalma

repair of RM-30 downward firing passive radiators
« on: 23 Sep 2019, 07:44 pm »
Just discovered that all four of the 6.5" downward firing passive radiators in my RM-30 speakers are shot. The cloth edging is torn. Has anyone had these repaired or repaired them their selves. Any other suggestions.

Thanks,

G E

Re: repair of RM-30 downward firing passive radiators
« Reply #1 on: 23 Sep 2019, 07:53 pm »
You could have the surrounds replaced or you can make it better an upgrade to the Series II.

The down firing passives, 2 per speaker, are removed and the ports are sealed. If you have the powered side firing woofer it’s replaced with the same size passive radiator. You can also upgrade the front firing woofs.

Much better player. I did this a few years ago and documented the process with the steps and pics.

Here’s the link

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=137131.0

Regalma

« Reply #2 on: 23 Sep 2019, 08:03 pm »
I originally passed this upgrade to my chagrin. Those are an impressive set of instructions.

Where do you get the 10" passive radiators. I have the active speakers in my set. I have OXOs rather than internal crossovers. I assume the same modifications apply.

Scottdazzle

« Reply #3 on: 23 Sep 2019, 09:50 pm »
Have you checked with John Casler?

G E

G E

« Reply #5 on: 24 Sep 2019, 08:41 pm »
I originally passed this upgrade to my chagrin. Those are an impressive set of instructions.

Where do you get the 10" passive radiators. I have the active speakers in my set. I have OXOs rather than internal crossovers. I assume the same modifications apply.

There was additional capacitance added to the standard internal crossover, no idea what is needed for external digital one, if anything.

G E

« Reply #6 on: 24 Sep 2019, 08:57 pm »
MISCO is the company providing the 6.5" woofers used in the front firing Series II RM 30.  Model # LLC62W-8A

I looked for it on the website and did not find an exact match.  The website indicates they will build models now in the product archive.  Call them and see what they can do.

https://www.miscospeakers.com/support/oem-products-archive

Hipper

« Reply #7 on: 25 Sep 2019, 09:16 am »
Just discovered that all four of the 6.5" downward firing passive radiators in my RM-30 speakers are shot. The cloth edging is torn. Has anyone had these repaired or repaired them their selves. Any other suggestions.

Thanks,

How did you discover this? Was there some sonic degradation or did you just have a look?

I have RM30Ms from 2006 and can't see or feel any degradation to any of the drivers.

G E

« Reply #8 on: 26 Sep 2019, 02:22 am »
How did you discover this? Was there some sonic degradation or did you just have a look?

I have RM30Ms from 2006 and can't see or feel any degradation to any of the drivers.

Mine started chuffing with low frequency material.  There is no mistaking the sound.

You can also use your finger around the surround, gently feeling for an opening.

Regalma

« Reply #9 on: 27 Sep 2019, 04:12 pm »
I was experimenting with adding/subtracting mortite. A one point while they were playing I put my hand in to check on how much mortite I had on one of the passives and felt all kinds of air moving. From there I figured out that the passives edges had fallen apart. The interesting thing was after a recent source upgrade I still was not getting the sound I wanted. I removed a lot of mortite and wow, what an improvement. I hadn't touched the dampening for years prior to that. Not sure what if any relationship there is. I have blocked the bottom ports on the speakers as a simple way to cancel the passives, or lack of passives. The sound is still great. Though last night during a very loud blast of bass during a movie one of the blocks literally came flying off the speaker. That was a fitting end to a scheme showing an exploding planet.

Still trying to decide whether to do the upgrade or replace/repair the passives. Either way involves some serious work given the weight and size of the speakers.

G E

« Reply #10 on: 27 Sep 2019, 04:40 pm »
I was experimenting with adding/subtracting mortite. A one point while they were playing I put my hand in to check on how much mortite I had on one of the passives and felt all kinds of air moving. From there I figured out that the passives edges had fallen apart. The interesting thing was after a recent source upgrade I still was not getting the sound I wanted. I removed a lot of mortite and wow, what an improvement. I hadn't touched the dampening for years prior to that. Not sure what if any relationship there is. I have blocked the bottom ports on the speakers as a simple way to cancel the passives, or lack of passives. The sound is still great. Though last night during a very loud blast of bass during a movie one of the blocks literally came flying off the speaker. That was a fitting end to a scheme showing an exploding planet.

Still trying to decide whether to do the upgrade or replace/repair the passives. Either way involves some serious work given the weight and size of the speakers.

Repairing them would mean removing the base and dismounting the passives with a screwdriver or phillips attachment to a ratchet wrench (safer).  It's not that big a deal.  Then sending them to a speaker repair expert.  Yes, the Series II upgrade is more involved but improves the sound. 

See if you can still get the 10" passive radiators and mega woofers.  If you can't, just get the surrounds replaced on the down-firing passives.

Regalma

« Reply #11 on: 27 Sep 2019, 06:58 pm »
I understand the 10" passive radiator but what are the mega woofers?

BobRex

« Reply #12 on: 27 Sep 2019, 09:32 pm »
Repairing them would mean removing the base and dismounting the passives with a screwdriver or phillips attachment to a ratchet wrench (safer).  It's not that big a deal.  Then sending them to a speaker repair expert.  Yes, the Series II upgrade is more involved but improves the sound. 

See if you can still get the 10" passive radiators and mega woofers.  If you can't, just get the surrounds replaced on the down-firing passives.

You could redo the surrounds yourself.  It's not that difficult.  PRs are easier than drivers - you can't muck up the voice coil alignment.

Stimpy

« Reply #13 on: 30 Sep 2019, 11:39 pm »
I understand the 10" passive radiator but what are the mega woofers?

The Mega Woofers were woven carbon fibre woofers, similar to the standard woofers.  But, the Mega had dual stacked magnets, for greater power handling and excursion, plus deeper bass response.  Mega Woofers played deep enough to where you really didn't need the side firing 10" woofer.  So, the side woofer was replaced by a 10" passive radiator, for better tuning of the Mega's.  The CSS passive, at Menicus, is the correct passive to use in the mod.  Just don't forget to tune it after installation.

Stimpy

« Reply #14 on: 30 Sep 2019, 11:58 pm »
I believe this spare set, that I have, are Mega's.

Stacked magnets.

Stimpy

« Reply #15 on: 1 Oct 2019, 12:07 am »
A bigger view of the stacked magnets (I think).

Regalma

« Reply #16 on: 5 Oct 2019, 09:13 pm »
Are you interested in selling your spare set?

G E

« Reply #17 on: 9 Oct 2019, 04:37 pm »
call MISCO in Minneapolis and ask if they can still supply the Megawoofer, part # LLC62W-8A

It's discontinued but may have some "in the back" somewhere.

Regalma

« Reply #18 on: 10 Oct 2019, 07:59 pm »
I am consulting with Misco now. they do not have the speakers but can build them, with very long lead time. Don't have price yet. The LL part number is for the 40 oz magnet version. The 28 oz version is MC62W-8A. Will let you know what the 28oz will cost.

ZAKski288

« Reply #19 on: 10 Oct 2019, 08:47 pm »
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=19371

Here are the specifications and pictures of both drivers, but you really want the mega woofers. Good luck Zak