Don't try this at home kids...

Big Red Machine

Don't try this at home kids...
« on: 28 Nov 2021, 08:31 pm »
Compound curves. Ugh.

I came closer the first time I tried this in the summer. I had a trim line failure and it left a gap I could not go back and fill. So I tried it again last week and failed even more miserably trying to get the vinyl to round 3 edges simultaneously. You can only stretch the vinyl so much with a heat gun.

A bunch of pics to show what almost happened. Oh well.

Three local vinyl shops refused to attempt this but I gave it a shot anyways.

Ran into issues with these corners:

TEA FOR ONE

Re: Don't try this at home kids...
« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2021, 01:51 pm »
Kudos! You are a very brave man! I can barely wrap a gift.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 30 Nov 2021, 03:34 pm »
I hung it up. The tops of these are constantly changing shape and as a novice first time user of vinyl on these geometries I gave on the first attempt this summer. Then I got to thinking I cannot be defeated so I tried again last week and failed even worse. Handling the bottoms would have been difficult but the surfaces are more square so they might have been easier to complete. I started with the hardest piece - the top. The good thing about vinyl is you just pull it off, especially a smooth painted surface on the Wilsons.

I'm still not happy I could not make this happen. :roll:

TEA FOR ONE

« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov 2021, 03:55 pm »
I’m really surprised that a vinyl shop wouldn’t touch them. They wrap entire cars, motorcycles,busses,boats……. By the way,that orange would definitely be killer.

richidoo

« Reply #4 on: 30 Nov 2021, 04:53 pm »
I think seams would not be visible from > 1 foot away, but I'm not a perfectionist when it comes to appearances...  :lol:
Would be worth having the seams to have that orange.

dwill73

« Reply #5 on: 30 Nov 2021, 05:05 pm »
stickerdude.com IMO the best in the business

Big Red Machine

« Reply #6 on: 30 Nov 2021, 05:19 pm »
The trim tape you put down first has to be planned properly so you can pull out the doubling of any overlapping vinyl sections. Unfortunately, the tight radii and in some cases the need to have parallel trim tapes applied make it very tricky. A car is so much larger and more forgiving.

And yes, maybe I'm too much of a perfectionist....

richidoo

« Reply #7 on: 30 Nov 2021, 05:30 pm »
Wow that's cool. I didn't know you want to avoid double layering. Makes sense if you want it paint smooth.
Monokote more my speed. LOL

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #8 on: 30 Nov 2021, 06:41 pm »
Vinyl is fun to play with, but paint is far better when dealing with shapes like that especially as a novice. Are you opposed to painting them, or were you just lookin to fool around and try out some vinyl wrap to make em look cool? If you were serious about wanting to change the color, send me a pm and I'll walk you through how to paint them properly. I dig the orange though. That'd be a fun loud looking set of speakers.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #9 on: 30 Nov 2021, 07:34 pm »
Vinyl is fun to play with, but paint is far better when dealing with shapes like that especially as a novice. Are you opposed to painting them, or were you just lookin to fool around and try out some vinyl wrap to make em look cool? If you were serious about wanting to change the color, send me a pm and I'll walk you through how to paint them properly. I dig the orange though. That'd be a fun loud looking set of speakers.

I kinda know how to paint them (but would consult experts beforehand). The trouble is the felt fronts on the bass and treble modules means either destroying that and replacing at great hassle and expense or trying to get it to lay down to shoot those inner edges. Sort of like painting the edges of your sidewalk by applying masking tape to your grass (and without killing the grass). ha

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #10 on: 30 Nov 2021, 10:23 pm »
Sort of like painting the edges of your sidewalk by applying masking tape to your grass (and without killing the grass). ha

Yeah... that could get interesting.  :roll: