Demonstration Worthy Classical Recordings

Craig B

Re: Demonstration Worthy Classical Recordings
« Reply #80 on: 22 Nov 2021, 12:30 pm »
PS Audio has put out some great recordings on their fledgling "Octave Revords" label. So far only one is all classical, but it's a doozy: Zuill Bailey revisiting the Bach Cello Suites. IMO, a considerably better performance and recording than his 2009 effort on Telarc (which was pretty good in its own right).

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #81 on: 4 Dec 2021, 01:10 am »
Mozart: Serenade No. 10 'Gran Partita'
Beethoven: Variations on Mozart's 'Là ci darem la mano' from Don Giovanni

Members of the Concertgebouworkest
Alexei Ogrintchouk, oboe & direction

Evaluate your system for Oboe and Clarinet.

Lately, I have been listening to more Mozart music.  I finally listened to this album very intently today and came away amazed.  The sonics are superb in multichannel surround. But, it's the music which got to me today. The melodies are sublime. Each instrument is clear, properly located and combine to give the listener a robust musical experience. Once you get to the Adagio you're hooked. The melodies weave a siren song holding on to you through the rest of the performance. Maybe it's the instruments or maybe the virtuoso playing or maybe both that gave me a strong emotional connection. I loved it through every track. Highly recommended.  For folks wanting to hear their system at its best, this is a good choice.

Musicweb International:  "I don’t usually remark first upon the sound quality of a recording, as these days sonic excellence is usually a given but this is spectacular...  Of course, no review of this work is complete without consideration of that famous, central Adagio. Does it cast its spell? The oboe and clarinet soloists are each given their turn in the spotlight without grandstanding and the effect, as they serenade each other over the bass oompah, is mesmerizing. The answer to my question is that the movement is played to perfection."

HR Audio Review by Graham Williams:  "There can be little doubt, however, that the winning combination of unforced virtuosity and playing of refined elegance delivered in superb sound quality will make this new BIS version, for many, a clear front-runner in a crowded field.
Unreservedly recommended."

Classicalmusic: "Alexei Ogrintchouk, directing members of the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra from the oboe, delivers a compelling performance..."

Gramophone:  "The Concertgebouw players don’t hold back. The variations, too, are memorably characterised, from the sense of a comic-opera conspiracy in No 3 to the dulcet No 5, where the oboe – the ever-eloquent Alexei Ogrintchouk – transmutes the homely tune into a soulful aria against veiled murmurings from clarinets and basset-horns."

Tech Specs:

Catalog # BIS 2463
Available for download from eClassical
Original recording format PCM 24/96 but is also available as an SACD (DSD 64).
Recording Date:  March/April 2019
Venue:  Kleine Zaal of the Concertgebouw, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Sound Engineer:  Marion Schwebel & Fabian Frank (Take5 Music Production)

Marcus

« Last Edit: 6 Dec 2021, 06:12 pm by Desertpilot »

dB Cooper

« Reply #82 on: 4 Dec 2021, 03:27 am »

grsimmon

• Restricted
  • Omni - the best way forward
« Reply #83 on: 6 Dec 2021, 02:58 pm »
"Nature's Realm"

Waterlily Acoustics label;    Philadelphia Orchestra

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #84 on: 6 Dec 2021, 06:27 pm »
Elgar: Cello Concerto
Tchaikovsky: Variations on a Rococo Theme, Nocturne, Andante cantabile, Pezzo capriccioso

Johannes Moser (cello)
Orchestre de la Suisse Romande
Andrew Manze (conductor)

Evaluate your system for Cello.

I've listened to this album a number of times.  It is beautiful music.  The solo cello portions are absolutely wonderful.

HR Audio Review by Graham Williams: "Elgar's valedictory Cello Concerto receives a commanding and richly eloquent performance from Moser, in which he is superbly supported by Andrew Manze and the Orchestre de la Suisse Romande whose sympathetic accompaniment throughout matches the soloist's personal approach to the piece.  ...Those who have waited for a recording of this concerto to appear on multi-channel SACD will be delighted by the superlative sound quality of this production."

Musicweb International:  "Here is a direct but compelling reading of the Elgar Cello Concerto, one that bares the work’s soul without necessitating a dry handkerchief. Its immediacy is in no small part due to the Pentatone recording, closely balanced, but in the warm and generous ambience of the Victoria Hall in Geneva."

Gramophone: "A most unusual account of the Elgar Concerto, one that’s both musically gripping and recorded at relatively close quarters. The first minutes command immediate attention, Johannes Moser’s handling of the opening chords confident and tonally full-bodied, the ascending solo scales that lead to the principal melody haltingly tiered, the melody itself tenderness personified, slowing subtly before the strings take the lead and Moser rises boldly to the crest of the phrase. The full orchestra’s response is both heroic and uplifting."

Tech Specs:

Available at Native DSD
Recording Date: July 2016
Venue:  Victoria Hall, Geneva, Switzerland
Original Recording Format: DSD 64
Sound Engineer:  Erdo Groot and Karel Bruggeman

Craig B

« Reply #85 on: 6 Dec 2021, 07:03 pm »
I bought this album on LP many years ago, and then within the last 10 or 15 years I bought it again when it was issued on CD. While only redbook, it has a remarkable presence that rivals the LP in realism. It's a collection of oboe-based chamber music from a variety of composers. That alone may not make it everyone's cup of tea, but if you think you might like the music, it's worth the purchase, IMO. It's said that when the LP was released, Randall Thompson contacted Mr. Christ to compliment him on the performance of his suite.

I don't believe the company is in the LP business any longer, but they sell their CDs direct on their website. This album can be found at https://crystalrecords.com/#!/CD321-Oboist-Peter-Christ/p/144917861/category=36377327.

« Last Edit: 7 Dec 2021, 12:18 pm by Craig B »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #86 on: 6 Dec 2021, 11:45 pm »
Always was a fan of Crystal Records since knew Hovhaness 1911~2000.
RIP

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #87 on: 18 Dec 2021, 06:04 pm »
Scenes from the Kalevala
Madetoja: Kullervo, Op. 15
Klami: Kalevala Suite, Op. 23
Sibelius: Lemminkäinen in Tuonela, Op. 22 No. 2 (1897 version - world premiere recording)
Pylkkänen: Kullervo Goes to War

Lahti Symphony Orchestra
Dima Slobodeniouk (conductor)

Evaluate Your System for Orchestra Playing Lyrical Music.

Marcus' Review:  "You might think that Finnish folk poetry would hardly be the stuff of great orchestrations, but you would be wrong. I downloaded the surround version of the album from eClassical in the original recording format 24/96. I too was not expecting much but with such a strong recommendation I wanted to hear it for myself. The music is robust and full bodied. Every aspect of the orchestra is used to evoke a myriad of feelings in the listener. Normally, I do not connect the storyline to the music. It's just me. I love the music and melodies but can't seem to connect the composer's story. Not so in this case, every track is evocative and creates a strong emotional connection (no matter what your nationality). I found the surround version to give me concert hall filling sound. It is glorious."

HR Audio Review by Graham Williams:  "I cannot recommend this imaginatively constructed programme and superbly executed release highly enough; collectors should find this recording a more than worthy addition to their shelves."

Musicweb International: “… This album has value for both the curious listener and veteran collector. Approach it either as a doorway to lesser-known corners of the Scandinavian repertoire or as a way to complement your existing collection of this music. It need not replace your preferred alternatives but do not miss the chance to hear Pylkkänen’s worthy music and enjoy a successful concept well executed.”

Artsfuse:  “This disc highlights various, early-20th-century works inspired by the Kalevala, the Finnish creation epic. It is a fantastic demonstration of creative programming and invigorating orchestral performance.”

Tech Specs:

Available as CD, SACD and download (2.0 or 5.1 surround) from eClassical.
Recording Date:  September 2017 [Klami], January 2018 [Sibelius] and January 2020 [Madetoja, Pylkkänen]
Release Date:  November 2021
Venue:  Sibelius Hall, Lahti, Finland
Recording Engineer:  Marion Schwebel & Christian Starke (Take5 Music Production)
Catalogue Number:  BIS-2371

Marcus

« Last Edit: 19 Dec 2021, 01:09 pm by Desertpilot »

dB Cooper

« Reply #88 on: 21 Dec 2021, 09:47 pm »
A stunner, thank member abomwell for the find.

Chewbacca

« Reply #89 on: 23 Dec 2021, 06:26 pm »
I just wanted to thank Marcus and everyone that's put so much time and effort into this thread! I have never been truly into Classical music in my own regard, but grew up with it, as my Grandma what a violinist (sometimes lead/first chair) in a symphony orchestra for 65 years of her life! Yes... 65 years! I can hardly believe it, from 18 years old to 83. So I frequented the Symphony quite often as a lad and later in life. I just never truly tapped into it myself, but always knowing I would someday. I think I just didn't have a system up to par to really appreciate this style of music at home... There's so much detail, and so much to hear, it's really unreal. My system is really starting to sound like you're there!

This thread is going to be my introduction to Classical, and I really appreciate everyone's efforts on this, as it is truly daunting trying to get into it... There's SO MUCH!

The other night my Wife and I were listening to some music... maybe near midnight with her pestering me to get to bed, and I said, one more song, let's listen to some classical... She excitingly agreed, so I picked the I believe first Bruckner song that Marcus posted... which is 25minutes long... thanks for letting me stay up later! :wink: :lol: wow... just amazing! What a show! Definitely points where my eyes were watering.

I think currently, I'm a bit more into chamber music rather than full on orchestra though. I just love being able to listen to each instrument more on it's own, rather than blended with say 10 other violins... Which is AWESOME in it's own right. I just love hearing the friction of a single string of say an upright bass, or cello, or violin... Cello may be my favorite solo instrument. Or maybe a Sax... Or guitar... Piano? lol!

Would anyone have some suggestions of more chamber style? Or even solo classical recordings? - I apologize if there are many before this, this is just a daunting thread to get into.

Also - my preference is definitely on the more emotional, melancholy, sad, type of classical music. The super upbeat... idk Disney? style isn't really what I'm looking for. I like more of the depressing style music, because for some reason it makes me happy :lol: I wish I had examples, but I really don't. Regardless, I'll start making my way down the list!

Thanks everyone! I'm VERY excited to begin this journey! :thumb:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #90 on: 23 Dec 2021, 08:05 pm »
Oh, I have a few suggestions.  If you want to avoid the 'Disney style' classical you mentioned, then I'd say avoid Mozart and Haydn (for now, plenty of time for them later).  For string quartets, here are the composers you should check out, in order of increasing darkness/intensity/dissonance:

Schubert, Death and the Maiden quartet - performed by Quatuor Arod
Beethoven - performed by the Artemis Quartet
Brahms - performed by the Jerusalem Quartet
Shostakovich - performed by the Mandelring Quartet
Bartok - performed by the Takacs quartet (best performance) or the Jerusalem Quartet (best recording)

Chewbacca

« Reply #91 on: 23 Dec 2021, 08:54 pm »
Thank you, Tyson! I really appreciate you taking the time to list these out!

You've mentioned Shostakovich to me in the past, I cannot remember exactly what pieces they were, but I remember very much enjoying them!

I'll definitely look through all of these over the coming days/weeks!! :thumb:

Just going through Qobuz classical... It's too much. Without a thread like this, I'd just be totally lost. Which, is fun in itself to self-discover, but I'd much rather have a few suggestions and discover from there!

Thanks again!

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #92 on: 23 Dec 2021, 09:51 pm »
I just wanted to thank Marcus and everyone that's put so much time and effort into this thread!

You are most welcome!  Your post keeps me motivated to continue the thread.  I've tried to span all the different types of classical music including excerpts of professional reviews.  Yes, I should include more chamber music.

Marcus

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #93 on: 23 Dec 2021, 10:23 pm »
Aeon Trio "Elegy"

Maya Fridman – Cello
Atzko Kohashi – Piano
Frans Van Der Hoeven – Double Bass

Evaluate your system for a trio (ensemble).

Marcus' thoughts:  "I'm going to fit this in here because it truly is classical/jazz crossover.  I downloaded the album (DXD 24/352.8 surround 5.1) based on a recommendation.  I've listened to it at least a dozen times and it has quickly become one of my favorite albums.  The album begins in more chamber music fashion.  In the middle of the second track, the trio picks up the tempo and the jazz flavor comes out.  Every track is engaging.  The piano is to the left of center, cello in the center and double bass to the right of center.  Each is sufficiently apart to allow the listener to distinctly hear the instrument.  But, close enough together to create the ensemble atmosphere.  Sadly, they came together for just this one album.  Highly recommended."

Wayne Wilmeth, Golden Ear:  "Amazing music that grips you from the first note and never lets go. Recorded and mastered at a very high quality level.  Highly recommended!"

Erno Elsinga, Jazzenzo:  "The shapely storylines from Friedman’s cello are straight from the heart and move between melancholy and hope. Kohashi’s whispering playing flutters around it, nurturing each note before it drops. Themes die off and swell again, improvisations trickle in. Classical and jazz are timelessly connected, while you sink deep into it with indefinable thoughts.  Magnificent."

Mark Werlin, All About Jazz: "It is no exaggeration to state that Elegy is one of the best-sounding hi-res recordings of Jazz or Contemporary Music in my collection."

Peter Chattelin, Chattelin Audio Systems:  "Highly recommended. Elegy is probably the most lifelike sounding music download we have experienced over the years. A true masterpiece!"

Tech Specs:

Available as CD or download (Native DSD or TRPTK) in all the usual formats, 2.0 or 5.1 channels.
Original Recording Format: DXD
Catalog # (TRPTK) TTK0010
Piano: Fazioli Modello F228 Grand Piano
Sound engineers:  Brendon Heinst, Bart Koop
Venue:  Beauforthuis in Austerlitz ,The Netherlands
Recording Date:  October 4, 2016
Release Date:  March 31, 2017

Marcus

rotarius

« Reply #94 on: 23 Dec 2021, 11:11 pm »

Would anyone have some suggestions of more chamber style? Or even solo classical recordings? - I apologize if there are many before this, this is just a daunting thread to get into.

Also - my preference is definitely on the more emotional, melancholy, sad, type of classical music. The super upbeat... idk Disney? style isn't really what I'm looking for. I like more of the depressing style music, because for some reason it makes me happy :lol: I wish I had examples, but I really don't. Regardless, I'll start making my way down the list!

Thanks everyone! I'm VERY excited to begin this journey! :thumb:
Chewbacca,
You should listen to Schubert's Quintet in C major with two cellos.  It is one of the greatest compositions in history and is certainly very tragic!
Enjoy!

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #95 on: 24 Dec 2021, 12:03 am »
Chewbacca,
You should listen to Schubert's Quintet in C major with two cellos.  It is one of the greatest compositions in history and is certainly very tragic!
Enjoy!

Thanks for the suggestion!  I happen to have two superb recommendations.

Marcus

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #96 on: 24 Dec 2021, 12:21 am »
Schubert: String Quintet D.956, Quartettsatz D.703

Tokyo String Quartet
MARTIN BEAVER & KIKUEI IKEDA, VIOLINS
KAZUHIDE ISOMURA, VIOLA
CLIVE GREENSMITH, CELLO
WITH DAVID WATKIN, CELLO

Evaluate your system for string instruments.  This recording includes two cellos.

From the liner notes: "Cellist David Watkin, formerly of the Eroica Quartet, joins the Tokyos in this distinguished reading of Schubert's 'Quintet in C' - the last and perhaps the most haunting of all his chamber works, in which light and shadow, serenity and drama are presented in constant alternation."

HR Audio Review by John Miller:  "This is a powerfully moving performance of the String Quintet in which the Tokyo Quartet and David Watkin dig deep into Schubert's and their own souls. With breathtaking sound, I'm almost certain that this will prove to be my SACD of the year. Please don't miss it; even if you are not normally a fan of chamber music, this performance gives luminous insight into one of humankind's great achievements."

Laurence Vittes, STRINGS:  "… the staggering beauty of the phrasing and seamless unanimity… is sublime."

Nalen Anthoni, Gramophone: "The Tokyo String Quartet with David Watkin promise much as they traverse the slow harmonic progression that opens the first movement, dynamic shifts expertly weighed, SACD recording spaciously lifelike"

Chris Spector, Midwest Record:  "A deep, dramatic reading that’s flawless throughout, this is first class… The high octane pairing of the players and the music was a match made in heaven… Killer stuff."

Tech Specs:

Available as a CD, SACD or download from Native DSD.
Catalog # harmonia mundi (HMU907427)
Recording Engineer:  Brad Michel
Venue:  Air Studios, Lyndhust Hall, London, UK
Release Date:  May 3, 2014

Marcus

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #97 on: 24 Dec 2021, 12:35 am »
Schubert: String Quintet D.956, Quartettsatz D.703

Tokyo String Quartet
MARTIN BEAVER & KIKUEI IKEDA, VIOLINS
KAZUHIDE ISOMURA, VIOLA
CLIVE GREENSMITH, CELLO
WITH DAVID WATKIN, CELLO

Evaluate your system for string instruments.  This recording includes two cellos.

From the liner notes: "Cellist David Watkin, formerly of the Eroica Quartet, joins the Tokyos in this distinguished reading of Schubert's 'Quintet in C' - the last and perhaps the most haunting of all his chamber works, in which light and shadow, serenity and drama are presented in constant alternation."

HR Audio Review by John Miller:  "This is a powerfully moving performance of the String Quintet in which the Tokyo Quartet and David Watkin dig deep into Schubert's and their own souls. With breathtaking sound, I'm almost certain that this will prove to be my SACD of the year. Please don't miss it; even if you are not normally a fan of chamber music, this performance gives luminous insight into one of humankind's great achievements."

Laurence Vittes, STRINGS:  "… the staggering beauty of the phrasing and seamless unanimity… is sublime."

Nalen Anthoni, Gramophone: "The Tokyo String Quartet with David Watkin promise much as they traverse the slow harmonic progression that opens the first movement, dynamic shifts expertly weighed, SACD recording spaciously lifelike"

Chris Spector, Midwest Record:  "A deep, dramatic reading that’s flawless throughout, this is first class… The high octane pairing of the players and the music was a match made in heaven… Killer stuff."

Tech Specs:

Available as a CD, SACD or download from Native DSD.
Catalog # harmonia mundi (HMU907427)
Recording Engineer:  Brad Michel
Venue:  Air Studios, Lyndhust Hall, London, UK
Release Date:  May 3, 2014

Marcus

Very nice.  I can affirm that the DSD recordings of the Tokyo Quartet performing the Beethoven string quartets are also excellent sounding.

rotarius

« Reply #98 on: 24 Dec 2021, 12:41 am »
Solid pick Marcus!  What was the second one?

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #99 on: 24 Dec 2021, 12:45 am »
Schubert: String Quintet

Amsterdam Sinfonietta Soloists
Jacobien Rozemond & Candida Thompson, Violins
Daniel Bard, Viola
Kaori Yamagami, Cello
Rick Stotijn, Double Bass

From the liner notes:  "One of the icons of chamber music, Schubert's celebrated String Quintet is heard in an unusual version on this recording. Schubert's work was styled after those of Boccherini and Onslow, which featured two violins, viola and two cellos. After hearing the double bass virtuoso Domenico Dragonetti, Onslow decided to add an alternative bass part to replace the second cello part. Schubert might have done the same if he had heard Dragonetti play, so the Amsterdam Sinfonietta commissioned this Marijn van Prooijen adaptation, and the double bass part is performed here by Rick Stotijn."

Marcus' thoughts:  "I am an admitted Rick Stotijn fan.  His inclusion playing a Double Bass replacing one of the Cellos really gives this music depth."

The Guardian:  "The playing is terrific: tasteful phrasing, gracious ensemble intuition and a string sound that’s luminous and poised."

Audio Review:  "...the instruments blend well, don’t overwhelm the others and have clarity, edge and depth..."

Tech Specs:

Available as CD, SACD and Download (Native DSD), both 2.0 and surround 5.0.
Catalog # Channel Classics (36215)
Sound Engineer:  Jared Sacks & Daan van Aalst
Venue:  Stadsgehoorzaal Leiden Holland
Recording Date:  December 1 & 2, 2013
Release Date:  October 23, 2015

Marcus