FAL flat neodymium drivers

versus rider

FAL flat neodymium drivers
« on: 23 Dec 2014, 02:13 pm »
Hi all, has anyone heard these drivers, afaik there are three models C 40 60hz to 22Khz C 60 40 hz to 14Khz and the larger one not sure of the response but down to 20hz I think. The lower they go the more expensive they get. Have been on their website and think I e mailed them as some of the page was in Japanese so can't be sure. Jpn products sell them on eBay but don't allow questions as they say they are overrun with them. If they gave out more information I wouldn't need to ask. So either I get a reply to my questions or someone here can enlighten me. If not I may take a punt on one of the smaller drivers flat to 60hz at £485 and use it as a centre in my home cinema if it doesn't cut the mustard. Anyone?

steve f

Re: FAL flat neodymium drivers
« Reply #1 on: 23 Dec 2014, 02:21 pm »
Unless you have the right to return the driver why bother? They don't publish specs? Or have recommended designs? I'd run from that company.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 23 Dec 2014, 02:36 pm »
On the site specs are minimal, a Jap custumer would try it if the prices are low, but seems not the case.
http://www.sibatech.co.jp/fal/products.html
FS = 40.41Hz
Qms = 6.36
Qes = 0.33
Qts = 0.31
Z min = 4.313 ohms
Z max = 80.95 ohms
Z avg = 10.685 ohms
Inductance = 0.057mH
Size: 150H x 130W x 45D mm
Weight: 1.6kg

versus rider

« Reply #3 on: 23 Dec 2014, 04:31 pm »
Thanks that's a little more info than I had. Feastrex seem to have the same attitude by not revealing much about their drivers and are painfully expensive. I do know of someone that has them and says they are very good. I think at £500 it's not the end of the world if they are not as perfect as the seem to claim. Even Dianne at Lowther UK swears by their drivers and although very good at some things are far from perfect and are similar in cost. I am intrigued to know more about these drivers.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 23 Dec 2014, 05:04 pm »
This technology dont success for FR drivers, even for woofers.
Sony giveup it in the 1980s.

Folsom

« Reply #5 on: 23 Dec 2014, 05:07 pm »
Peter Daniels, Audio Sector, on DIYaudio uses them. I'd ask him.

cab

« Reply #6 on: 23 Dec 2014, 08:13 pm »
John Chapman of Bent audio has used them and is familiar with them too....Ask him....

versus rider

« Reply #7 on: 26 Dec 2014, 11:07 am »
This technology dont success for FR drivers, even for woofers.
Sony giveup it in the 1980s.
I doubt Sony gave up through lack of know how or money. They may have given up because they didn't feel they could ever be good enough, but I suspect it was more likely that it was a case of economics, how much you would have to charge them out at compared with development cost to make a profit and the limited market for expensive drivers.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 26 Dec 2014, 03:47 pm »
I doubt Sony gave up through lack of know how or money. They may have given up because they didn't feel they could ever be good enough, but I suspect it was more likely that it was a case of economics, how much you would have to charge them out at compared with development cost to make a profit and the limited market for expensive drivers.
They may have given up because they didn't feel they could ever be good enough,
I would suspect it too, They were labeled Sony APM and looks the same as FAL.
http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-APM-66ES.html

Bemopti123

« Reply #9 on: 26 Dec 2014, 04:17 pm »
I had a Sony minisystem from the 1980s, with a pair of these speakers with the Flat woofers.  They were nothing to write home about, mediocre at best and with the foam rot, next to impossible to repair. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 26 Dec 2014, 04:58 pm »
Well this is why they cancel APM.

versus rider

« Reply #11 on: 27 Dec 2014, 09:22 am »
I had a Sony minisystem from the 1980s, with a pair of these speakers with the Flat woofers.  They were nothing to write home about, mediocre at best and with the foam rot, next to impossible to repair.
with respect I wouldn't think Sony would build high end drivers and use them in a mini system.  A large company like Sony are here to make large quantity sales not esoteric components for audiophools. Profit is the name of the game. FAL have  spent over twenty years refining these drivers not for the masses so they have to be priced accordingly when the market is small. I don't see too many Bugatti Veyrons down my street.

versus rider

« Reply #12 on: 27 Dec 2014, 09:27 am »
They may have given up because they didn't feel they could ever be good enough,
I would suspect it too, They were labeled Sony APM and looks the same as FAL.
http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-APM-66ES.html

that looks like four conventional magnets pulling on a flat diaphragm, not the same.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 27 Dec 2014, 01:27 pm »
that looks like four conventional magnets pulling on a flat diaphragm, not the same.
That driver is a woofer, for save iens in a big magnet they used 4 small ones.
APM midrange drivers used just 1 magnet as usual.
That says to pass is the same magnet of the woofer, seems all the APM line wore the same magnet. :duh:

« Last Edit: 27 Dec 2014, 02:47 pm by FullRangeMan »

Guy 13

« Reply #14 on: 27 Dec 2014, 01:31 pm »
This is a woofer, for save iens in a big magnet the used 4 small ones.
APM midrange drivers used just 1 magnet as usual.
That says to pass is the same magnet of the woofer, seems all the APM line wore the same magnet. :duh:

Hi FullRangeMan,
other than a very thin, not deep enclosure,
I wonder what other advantages that design's bring ?

Guy 13

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 27 Dec 2014, 01:42 pm »
Hi FullRangeMan,
other than a very thin, not deep enclosure,
I wonder what other advantages that design's bring ?

Guy 13
I no expert in speaker, but I think this flat ''cone'' offer no advantage at all.
The general driver depth is similar to a regular coned driver.
Ideal volune box are determined by some TS pars as cone compliance.
Its just reseach exercise from Sony.

There is various speakers experts in this Forum that can give a better answer to your question, this just my 2 cents.

versus rider

« Reply #16 on: 16 Feb 2015, 04:59 pm »
Those Sony drivers don't look anything like FAL. IMO they look cheap and nasty in comparison and the FAL magnets are placed end on rather than in the conventional manner. Spoke with john chapman of Bent Audio, he has been using them for 11 years and still uses them. Still thinking to buy one and try it and at worst it will make for a fairly expensive centre speaker in my hone cinema.