Sad example of elitism ...

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
Sad example of elitism ...
« on: 17 Oct 2013, 03:30 am »
Gotta put this somewhere, just saw it and it make me  :roll:  Just another example of the elitist attitude that unfortunately permeates this wonderful hobby of ours.  I met Patrick Dillon for a short time at the show, and plan on sending him some speakers for review.  To me he seems like a sharp guy that I can trust to write a thorough and insightful review. 

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?12344-RMAF-2013-Gear-worth-making-the-trip-to-Denver-to-hear-And-not!&p=225353&viewfull=1#post225353

JohnR

Re: Sad example of elitism ...
« Reply #1 on: 17 Oct 2013, 06:33 am »
I may be a little bit biased  :D but I like reading Patrick's reviews.

I really don't see the point of comments like that but to my mind it highlights the beauty of the Internet. You don't have to be a big name to have a valid opinion and publish it. Some of the names apparently don't like it. Oh well.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 17 Oct 2013, 09:16 am »
I agree with the attitude, but can understand it if you're doing it for a living and the competition is doing it for free (and maybe just as well). 

Unfortunately the career guys seem to get paid by the word count, versus writing in a more clear and concise style.  Reviews shouldn't read like technical reports, but so many try to lead in with a barely germane personal story (wasting everyone's time) then get so verbose they lose their way and/or cloud their impressions so badly that I can't tell what substance they were on, what they really thought of the gear, how it compares with comparable pieces, or if they'd recommend it (and under what scenarios).

Perhaps AC is the place to review the reviewers (and get them to clean up their act).

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: 17 Oct 2013, 09:46 am »
Unfortunately the career guys seem to get paid by the word count

Been there... not in this field though.

JoshK

« Reply #4 on: 17 Oct 2013, 03:29 pm »
And then some wonder why youth isn't getting into hi-fi like the baby boomers did (on the whole). 

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 17 Oct 2013, 03:35 pm »
And then some wonder why youth isn't getting into hi-fi like the baby boomers did (on the whole).

I don't wonder, for the most part we don't have the cash our parents do.

Headphones are much cheaper...

sts9fan

« Reply #6 on: 17 Oct 2013, 03:50 pm »
I don't see the issue. Plus he gave you a good review. Not gushy enough??

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #7 on: 17 Oct 2013, 04:05 pm »
I don't see the issue. Plus he gave you a good review. Not gushy enough??

Guess you missed my point.  Somebody posts Patrick Dillons' blog, Mr. Astor jokes about how he's a nobody. 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #8 on: 17 Oct 2013, 04:15 pm »
Yeah, newspapers used to joke about websites on the internet too.  Hmmm, how's that been working out for them?

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #9 on: 17 Oct 2013, 04:27 pm »
Yeah, newspapers used to joke about websites on the internet too.  Hmmm, how's that been working out for them?

Well, all the newpaper guys have plenty of empty offices to choose from ...

Not too well I'd say.

martyo

« Reply #10 on: 17 Oct 2013, 05:17 pm »
Don't you think it just follows, for the most part it is an elitist "hobby".

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #11 on: 17 Oct 2013, 05:26 pm »
Don't you think it just follows, for the most part it is an elitist "hobby".

True, it is.  But this isn't the first elitist hobby I've been fully engrossed in.  I've been neck deep in hobbies where there is a LOT more money involved, and yet the audio elite have the worst attitude of all.  The ego's are so prevalent and out-front, very few audio elite who have remained down-to-earth folk. 

dmatt

« Reply #12 on: 17 Oct 2013, 05:39 pm »
I think it is specific to Mr. Astor.  Too bad too.  He just comes off as smug (at least to this reader.  Maybe I am not his target?) and puts a bad taste in my mouth for anything he authors on his site.

The other guys in the string at least were not overt in their disdain for other internet journalists or other than the "major" equipment manufacturers, though based on the comments and focus, I wonder if they attended a different RMAF than Tyson and Pez.

dB Cooper

« Reply #13 on: 17 Oct 2013, 05:40 pm »

It's because so much of the music they listen to (I am subjected to it every day) involves "virtual" instruments "recorded" in "virtual" spaces that there is no concept of a sound system reproducing a live (or in-studio) performance as accurately as it can be done. They expect the concert to sound like their iWhatever, rather than the other way around. Since so many of the artists just lip sync anyway, they are happy to oblige (lowers production and rehearsal costs).

rascal

« Reply #14 on: 17 Oct 2013, 08:32 pm »
Myles Astor was referring to overall comment that folks who set up at RMAF *only* care about getting reviews and donot bother to set up audio in the rooms/did not care about sonics in the room. There were well prepared and set up rooms (from those who worked on it).

Yeah if you look only at that comment- looks elitist but you read that thread you know where Myles came from. I guess he assumed even links were about earlier set-up comment.

This is like my favorite 'faux news' reporting here  :nono:. Take a snippet, ignore the context and mock the opposition  :P

When I read Pex/Tyson's review first- I thought of sterephile magazine reviews with positive gushing feedback of those who list Ads in the mag-just an online versoin or shall I say 'AC' version of it  :lol:  Online elitism?

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #15 on: 17 Oct 2013, 08:48 pm »
I don't wonder, for the most part we don't have the cash our parents do.

Headphones are much cheaper...
Horse hockey! I started my journey in the high end when the Navy was paying me $228 a month. Somehow I managed to acquire KLH speakers, an AR turntable, Stanton cartridge and Rat Shack separates. Things have changed since then, but it's more about desire than money.

Doc

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #16 on: 17 Oct 2013, 10:23 pm »
Guess you missed my point.  Somebody posts Patrick Dillons' blog, Mr. Astor jokes about how he's a nobody.
its really funny when you consider they have the exact same job.
They both write for an online site.

rbbert

« Reply #17 on: 17 Oct 2013, 10:36 pm »
Myles Astor was referring to overall comment that folks who set up at RMAF *only* care about getting reviews and donot bother to set up audio in the rooms/did not care about sonics in the room. There were well prepared and set up rooms (from those who worked on it).

Yeah if you look only at that comment- looks elitist but you read that thread you know where Myles came from. I guess he assumed even links were about earlier set-up...

as the poster who put up the link to Patrick's blog and then had the back and forth with Myles, I can assure you that in fact he was being obnoxiously elitist, and the OP here and I were definitely not the only ones to notice it

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #18 on: 17 Oct 2013, 11:43 pm »

Yeah if you look only at that comment- looks elitist but you read that thread you know where Myles came from. I guess he assumed even links were about earlier set-up comment.

This is like my favorite 'faux news' reporting here  :nono:. Take a snippet, ignore the context and mock the opposition  :P

When I read Pex/Tyson's review first- I thought of sterephile magazine reviews with positive gushing feedback of those who list Ads in the mag-just an online versoin or shall I say 'AC' version of it  :lol:  Online elitism?

Yes, we are exactly the same.  Except that we don't get paid.  And we both freely admit that we are completely full of sh!t :D

Guy 13

« Reply #19 on: 18 Oct 2013, 12:06 am »
Yes, we are exactly the same.  Except that we don't get paid.  And we both freely admit that we are completely full of sh!t :D
:lol: :thumb:

Guy 13