Wanted, AVA FM-5 Super Tuner or Super Tuner Two

rlee8394

Re: Wanted, AVA FM-5 Super Tuner or Super Tuner Two
« Reply #40 on: 30 Jan 2009, 04:24 am »
Since we're talking FM reception and antennas on a few of these posts, this is the antenna that I use and can recommend without reservation.

http://www.fmdxantenna.com/proddetail.php?prod=FMDipUS

At less than $40.00, it works very well. I had it mounted vertically on the second floor in the sitting room over the garage. Very good reception. I then moved a lot of my system to the basement. I ended up mounting it horizontally under the floor joists. Still works well. I can only imagine how well it would work when mounted high and outdoors! Even indoors, this thing still provided a stronger signal than either of my Terk/Parsec type amplified units. Again, highly recommended.

Ron

hifigeezer

avahifi

« Reply #42 on: 18 Jan 2014, 01:13 am »
I would not be comfortable about this tuner unless I saw some internal photos of the circuit boards. Our Super Tuners had all new AVA designed internal circuit boards.  I could verify this one if I saw internal photos.  I don't remember if this model, not identified as a Super Tuner, came before our own cards were designed.  This is an old one.

Note that we never defeated the tuning meter as the seller claims.

Frank Van Alstine

dB Cooper

« Reply #43 on: 18 Jan 2014, 04:44 am »
Mine said 'FET Three Plus' on it too IIRC, and it did have the AVA, not Dyna, board set.

Agree that the comment about the meter is not confidence inspiring. If the tuning meter doesn't function, a replacement might be made of unobtainium. The 'Dynatune' indicator light was defeated, as its associated circuitry was eliminated.

People used to tell me that I got better sound from FM than they were getting from their primary sources. I really, really regret selling it.

avahifi

« Reply #44 on: 18 Jan 2014, 01:41 pm »
I still have one of our Super Tuner Two units in daily use here.  I have updated it by replacing all the original LM6321 current buffers with new and drastically better performing LME49600s and yes indeed my FM music from the local PBS station does not give away much from my primary sources (DSD, CD, and vinyl).

The upgrade was tricky because the LM6321 is an 8-pin dip device while the the LME49600s are 5 pin surface mount parts.  Anyway my Super Tuner Two has second generation AVA boards with our own IF, Mplx, Audio, and power supply circuits. It has no audio op-amps at all and it is not for sale.

If you want to learn more about the LME49600, here is a link:  http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lme49600.pdf

Frank Van Alstine

mark funk

« Reply #45 on: 18 Jan 2014, 02:36 pm »
I also have a Super Tuner Two that Frank did this upgrade. Oh my, it sounds real good! I listen to it every day :thumb:

:smoke:

mark funk

« Reply #46 on: 18 Jan 2014, 03:07 pm »
Super Tuner Two,

:smoke:

rcag_ils

« Reply #47 on: 18 Jan 2014, 10:52 pm »
I have both fet-1 and fet-2 super tuners, the reception is the problem, my Fisher FM-100-B is a much older tuner than the Dyna FM-5, but has outstanding reception from where I live, it's currently in my system.

hifigeezer

« Reply #48 on: 20 Jan 2014, 09:32 pm »
[quote
There's one on Ebay now:
At $2 I am tempted but I have too many tuners already!
[/quote]

It sold for $150 plus $15 shipping.  I've never heard one of these, but that's more than I paid for my Nakamichi 430, a well-respected vintage tuner.