Record mat discussion for WTL tables

VinceT

Record mat discussion for WTL tables
« on: 15 Nov 2022, 08:57 pm »
Ears deluxe is having good luck with a diy mat, mick Wolfe tried a paper mat, heard herbies mats, funk firm achromat mentioned. Some folks like the stock mat.

Just thought I would try to put a thread together to reference all the mat discussions with these tables.

I am in the market for a mat, wanted to see what everyone was using with success and experiences with mat tweaks.

mick wolfe

Re: Record mat discussion for WTL tables
« Reply #1 on: 16 Nov 2022, 03:22 am »
Vince.... I can only speak for my current and decade old Amadeus. After fiddling with a few mats including the stock foam mat of course, only one mat continues to stand out after all these years. That would be the Auditorium 23. This would be the less expensive thinner version. Bought it only few months after purchasing the Amadeus and it's taken on and defeated all challengers. (although there weren't that many) It just seems to have an excellent synergy with the Amadeus. That said, I can't comment if it would be nearly as effective in regard to the earlier WTL designs which I believe used a weight or a clamp...... but I for one am glad WF abandoned the use of either in his newer designs. As always though, YMMV.

/mp

« Reply #2 on: 17 Nov 2022, 02:07 pm »
[M]ats[,]....I for one am glad WF abandoned the use of either in his newer designs.

Why?

mick wolfe

« Reply #3 on: 17 Nov 2022, 05:19 pm »
Mainly because WF must have decided it was unnecessary and might have even had a negative effect. The platter/bearing set up is very touchy in the modern WTL designs and would not be conducive to clamping or weights. I for one am trusting the designer on this one. I've never missed having a clamp/weight on my previous Nottingham or my current Amadeus, but that's just me.  YMMV.