Odd X5 and X3 subwoofer question

jnschneyer

Re: Odd X5 and X3 subwoofer question
« Reply #20 on: 28 Oct 2022, 03:40 pm »
For the X series you don't have to ship the speaker back if for some reason an amp fails, it is an easy drop in replacement.  I'm sure it's rare but any electronics could fail potentially.  In the twenty five years I've been into high end audio I've had one repair on an amplifier and one repair on a DAC which isn't bad.  My PS audio powerplant P300 is still going strong however I've recently just replaced it with the newer Stellar 3 just because I wanted something newer.

Is the replacement of the amp something you could, without substantial knowledge of electronics, do yourself? And would doing the repair yourself void the warranty?

mrotino332

« Reply #21 on: 28 Oct 2022, 05:07 pm »
Clayton informed me it is very easy to do, said it was just a drop-in replacement. I'm sure there are some screws you need to remove and then need to connect a few wires but that should be it.

jnschneyer

« Reply #22 on: 28 Oct 2022, 05:51 pm »
Clayton informed me it is very easy to do, said it was just a drop-in replacement. I'm sure there are some screws you need to remove and then need to connect a few wires but that should be it.

It looks like there's one connection to unplug and then several screws to remove, but I don't know if there's any internal wiring to deal with.  I don't know, it very well may be as simple as it looks, but I'm certain that what Clayton might consider easy could be a quagmire to someone blundering in with no experience.  I may gird my loins and give it a go, though.  No guts, no glory.

jnschneyer

« Reply #23 on: 1 Nov 2022, 04:28 am »
So, it turns out I definitely was not imagining the greatly diminished bass extension of my solo X5, nor misremembering the quality of the bass with a full complement of subwoofers.  Apparently, not only had the amp of one speaker failed, but, incredibly, the voice coil on the remaining subwoofer had frozen or fused, so there was in fact, from that woofer, exactly zero bass.  Ryan from Spatial was good enough to come over to replace my failed plate amp and, when I mentioned the strangely drastically, or so it seemed to me, reduced bass, even with a lone woofer, he had a listen and with great professional aplomb pronounced “This is weird.”  Between my failed amp and fused voice coil, I seem to have hit the “weird” repair jackpot.  Who doesn’t like being unique.  It was actually something of a relief to know it wasn’t me or my room or some crop-circle-esque physics aberration but just a run of the mill, albeit weird, malfunction.

Fortunately, for some reason, Ryan had a spare woofer in his car, so he promptly swapped out my amp and woofer and restored my system to its former townhome-shaking glory.  While having the speakers go awry on me was an annoyance, it was an education and comforting to see that replacing both the amp and the woofer are comparatively simple operations.  Not that I’m in any hurry to test my newfound knowledge.  Anyway, there you have it, the case of the diminished bass solved, if not the mystery of why they failed, each in its own way.  As the professionals like to say, weird.

Daryl Zero

« Reply #24 on: 1 Nov 2022, 10:34 am »
Elementary, my dear Watson.