X Series - pro tip on setup

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
X Series - pro tip on setup
« on: 9 Oct 2022, 06:57 pm »
Try angling your speakers back 5 or 10 degrees.  Not much, but in my case it REALLY opened up their sound.  I suspect that because they are so directional, some of that punch and energy was being slightly directed toward the floor and not out out in to the room. 

The drivers are so big, the midrange driver actually sits really low compared to your ear level.  Tilting them back lets some of that midrange energy reach your ears better. 

And (unlike some other tweaks), it's free.

jnschneyer

Re: X Series - pro tip on setup
« Reply #1 on: 9 Oct 2022, 09:01 pm »
Try angling your speakers back 5 or 10 degrees.  Not much, but in my case it REALLY opened up their sound.  I suspect that because they are so directional, some of that punch and energy was being slightly directed toward the floor and not out out in to the room. 

The drivers are so big, the midrange driver actually sits really low compared to your ear level.  Tilting them back lets some of that midrange energy reach your ears better. 

And (unlike some other tweaks), it's free.

How did you angle them back? Thanks.

Tyson

« Reply #2 on: 9 Oct 2022, 09:15 pm »
How did you angle them back? Thanks.

Had some extra sorbathane feet in my drawer so just used a couple under the front of each speaker.

morganc

« Reply #3 on: 9 Oct 2022, 10:25 pm »
Is that not also going to point the tweeter way over your head?  Just thinking out loud, though it’s easy enough to try.

jnschneyer

« Reply #4 on: 9 Oct 2022, 10:58 pm »
Had some extra sorbathane feet in my drawer so just used a couple under the front of each speaker.

Sorry to be a pain, but any chance you could post a pic?  I’m just trying to picture how that would work, if it would work, under the Isoacoustic feet now on my X5s.  Thanks again.

Bingenito

« Reply #5 on: 9 Oct 2022, 11:31 pm »
Just throw a few rubber washers on the m6 thread of the gaia footers. Any hardware store has them.

jnschneyer

« Reply #6 on: 10 Oct 2022, 12:25 am »
Just throw a few rubber washers on the m6 thread of the gaia footers. Any hardware store has them.

I like that idea in theory - neat, efficient, unobtrusive - but in practice I’m leery of messing with the Gaia feet.  I’ve installed them once, on the stands of my Dynaudios, and it took some doing.  By the second speaker, I pretty well had it down, but it was more of a chore than I’d anticipated getting them all snug and pointed in the right direction, which I’m told actually matters.  It’s possible I’m just inept.  Combine my ineptitude with the possibility of not liking the result and having to do it again, and I need a less labor intensive option, if un- and re-threading eight feet a couple of times can be called labor.  I’m hoping Tyson has a simpler yet elegant and easily reversible method.  I’m sure I could cudgel my brain and come up with something, but I always like to hear what the voice of experience has to say before muddling ahead with my own trial and error.

Tyson

« Reply #7 on: 10 Oct 2022, 12:47 am »
If the Gaia feet are threaded, just raise the ones in the front and lower the ones in the back.  I don't have them on my X3's so can't be more specific than that.

jnschneyer

« Reply #8 on: 10 Oct 2022, 12:57 am »
If the Gaia feet are threaded, just raise the ones in the front and lower the ones in the back.  I don't have them on my X3's so can't be more specific than that.

Ah.  No worries.  I’ll get to cudgeling.  Thanks just the same.  I’m curious to see if my efforts will result in anything like the change you describe.

Bingenito

« Reply #9 on: 10 Oct 2022, 02:23 am »
Contrary to popular internet folklore and Isoacoustics marketing the direction of their logo makes absolutely no difference.

I have personally completely disassembled the product and anyone that says the label pointing at you makes a difference must work as the companies marketing director or be totally full of ****

That said I hear you on the task of treading and logo direction. It is a massive pain which is what caused me to take one apart and then after my audiophile ocd was cured and I spent $1 at lowes for rubber washers which are round and face any direction they please  :lol:

jnschneyer

« Reply #10 on: 10 Oct 2022, 02:42 am »
Contrary to popular internet folklore and Isoacoustics marketing the direction of their logo makes absolutely no difference.

I have personally completely disassembled the product and anyone that says the label pointing at you makes a difference must work as the companies marketing director or be totally full of ****

That said I hear you on the task of treading and logo direction. It is a massive pain which is what caused me to take one apart and then after my audiophile ocd was cured and I spent $1 at lowes for rubber washers which are round and face any direction they please  :lol:

Ha! That is awesome.  It sounded like voodoo to me (or maybe that’s an insult to voodoo), but I figured who was I to lay a coat of rational thinking over a well-painted canvas of hifi marketing magic.  I am happy to be disabused.  The funny thing is, whoever at Spatial installed my Gaias has either bought in to the hocus pocus, is a willing participant in the hype, or worried a gullible customer will balk at a misdirected logo, as the logo of every foot is pointed faithfully forward.  I admire your intrepidity.  I’ll get me some washers.

Mr. Big

« Reply #11 on: 10 Oct 2022, 03:21 pm »
Ha! That is awesome.  It sounded like voodoo to me (or maybe that’s an insult to voodoo), but I figured who was I to lay a coat of rational thinking over a well-painted canvas of hifi marketing magic?  I am happy to be disabused.  The funny thing is, whoever at Spatial installed my Gaias has either bought into the hocus pocus, is a willing participant in the hype, or is worried a gullible customer will balk at a misdirected logo, as the logo of every foot is pointed faithfully forward.  I admire your intrepidity.  I’ll get myself some washers.

A Speaker manufacturer told me once if we did not use spikes on our speakers it would hurt our sales, and this IS the only reason we do it, its become expected, go to today many say spikes do more harm than good, and I know over my last few speakers I love the sound of the speakers without the spikes and that includes the M3's on the carpeted floor which has an 8lb pad. With the spikes, you lose the body and weight to the music, the upper-midrange and highs are more forward with out them the sound comes more into focus, balance, and more detail with ambient clues.
« Last Edit: 10 Oct 2022, 09:19 pm by Mr. Big »

dket

« Reply #12 on: 10 Oct 2022, 05:28 pm »
Bingenito is correct.  My X5's came with the logo facing to the rear which by mfrg's instructions is acceptable.
However, unless something inside the footer is made out of round or elliptical it could not possibly have a positioning requirement.

vondy

« Reply #13 on: 10 Oct 2022, 05:54 pm »
One of the suction cup bottoms popped off of my Gaia feet and there is indeed an oblong shape in the front to back direction. I'm guessing this is why they say they are directional. It would align with the movement of the drivers.

dket

« Reply #14 on: 11 Oct 2022, 01:13 am »
Looks like Vondy straightened us out.  I should have started my comment by "Is Bingenito correct?"
However, those of us using Gaia footers shouldn't be tilting our speakers back as Tyson suggested since it would defeat their proper back & forth performance.
I myself have never been satisfied with the Gaia's.  I have Aurios "Pros" installed under the Gaia's thus raising the speakers up also.
This is only temporary until I get the Carbide Audio footers.

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #15 on: 11 Oct 2022, 03:00 am »
Thanks for the tip, Tyson.  In my situation, I'm going to pass on elevating the front feet of my X3s.  I use GAIA IIs with their carpet spikes.  My ears have plenty of coverage of the mid-range driver.  I don't think I am missing anything.

BUT, don't stop passing along tips.  You are a valuable resource.

Marcus

aniwolfe

« Reply #16 on: 11 Oct 2022, 02:38 pm »
Looks like Vondy straightened us out.  I should have started my comment by "Is Bingenito correct?"
However, those of us using Gaia footers shouldn't be tilting our speakers back as Tyson suggested since it would defeat their proper back & forth performance.
I myself have never been satisfied with the Gaia's.  I have Aurios "Pros" installed under the Gaia's thus raising the speakers up also.
This is only temporary until I get the Carbide Audio footers.

Hello
Have you tried spiking the Speakers into the Aurios without the Gaia? I happen to do that with my Spatial speakers.
« Last Edit: 11 Oct 2022, 04:58 pm by aniwolfe »

DaveWin88

« Reply #17 on: 11 Oct 2022, 04:16 pm »
Thanks for the tip, Tyson.  In my situation, I'm going to pass on elevating the front feet of my X3s.  I use GAIA IIs with their carpet spikes.  My ears have plenty of coverage of the mid-range driver.  I don't think I am missing anything.

BUT, don't stop passing along tips.  You are a valuable resource.

Marcus
If you're sitting a bit further back than normal? probably not an issue anyways? I'm using the Herbies audio lab gliders.

dket

« Reply #18 on: 12 Oct 2022, 01:14 am »
I thought about removing them but I figured it was more trouble than what's its worth.  The real issue I was having was the unacceptable vibration of the main baffle from the bass speaker.  I solved that problem by adding subs to my system and dialing back the woofer amp to a notch above one half.  I will comment further on my findings in a future Spatial speaker subject section.