Why are loudspeaker enclosure shapes so dumb?

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
Re: Why are loudspeaker enclosure shapes so dumb?
« Reply #80 on: 28 Aug 2022, 06:05 pm »
Some of those are interesting, and a surprising number of nit very pretty.

No single driver full ranges thou.

dave

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #81 on: 28 Aug 2022, 06:26 pm »
....No single driver full ranges thou.

dave
There are criteria for the competition, and I'm quite sure single driver speakers just aren't going to be competitive.  I think I saw a pair in the background of one picture, and I believe all types are welcome, but they wouldn't be able to win the contest.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #82 on: 28 Aug 2022, 06:42 pm »
There are criteria for the competition, and I'm quite sure single driver speakers just aren't going to be competitive.  I think I saw a pair in the background of one picture, and I believe all types are welcome, but they wouldn't be able to win the contest.

More likely PE wants to sell crossover parts also.  :wink:
 :lol:

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #83 on: 28 Aug 2022, 06:53 pm »
More likely PE wants to sell crossover parts

;^)

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #84 on: 28 Aug 2022, 07:13 pm »
Looks like you guys have created a challenge for yourselves as it sounds like you both believe you could win. Take a single driver speaker design (of your own) out next year and join the fun. There's no restrictions or limitations on the design if you can get it there, it'll be entered. No entry fees.  Much to your disappointment, PE doesn't disqualify designs. I wish you luck. Please keep us posted on your progress.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #85 on: 28 Aug 2022, 07:23 pm »
The contest is in the USA. Forbidden territory.

dave

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #86 on: 28 Aug 2022, 11:26 pm »
More likely PE wants to sell crossover parts also.  :wink:
 :lol:
+1.
They dont want public know the crossoverless truth, this contest is just to reinforce the public's belief in multi-way speakers and its hi SPL capability.

Folsom

« Reply #87 on: 29 Aug 2022, 04:28 am »
Why can't speakers just be small wireless balls that we place on shelves? UGH

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #88 on: 29 Aug 2022, 07:48 am »
Small speakers dont make bass and wireless dont allow cable manufacturers charge huge prices.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #89 on: 29 Aug 2022, 10:40 am »

Physics.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #90 on: 29 Aug 2022, 03:50 pm »

Folsom

« Reply #91 on: 29 Aug 2022, 10:02 pm »
Physics.

TESLA COULD HAVE DONE IT IF THEY DIDN'T KILL HIM FOR TRYING TO GIVE EVERYONE FREE POWER

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #92 on: 29 Aug 2022, 10:41 pm »
I like Tesla, he thought out of the box, the best.
Maybe a good headphone could please you.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #93 on: 30 Aug 2022, 11:42 am »
Did headphones while in college dorms - perfect there but in-room loudspeakers, even with all the challenges, are superior in theory and can be in practice. 

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #94 on: 30 Aug 2022, 12:15 pm »
Did headphones while in college dorms - perfect there but in-room loudspeakers, even with all the challenges, are superior in theory and can be in practice.

Well, not according to everyone railing against rectangular boxes. 😅  I've had all types of boxes and panels except single driver and they all have their advantages.  I'll be waiting for that perfect speaker with flat 20hz-20khz response, 0% distortion, totally non reactive load, unfettered dispersion, for $29.95 at Walmart.  Until then we'll be bargaining with physics and available funding.

Early B.

« Reply #95 on: 30 Aug 2022, 01:28 pm »
Well, not according to everyone railing against rectangular boxes. 😅  I've had all types of boxes and panels except single driver and they all have their advantages.  I'll be waiting for that perfect speaker with flat 20hz-20khz response, 0% distortion, totally non reactive load, unfettered dispersion, for $29.95 at Walmart.  Until then we'll be bargaining with physics and available funding.

According to the laws of physics, size matters. The enclosure for the perfect speaker would be HUGE! A high-end, but still entry-level design would be dual 15" powered woofers, a 12-inch midrange, and a big-ass horn-loaded tweeter. If the enclosure is anything other than a rectangle, it will be double or triple the price, although primarily for aesthetics.   

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #96 on: 30 Aug 2022, 03:34 pm »
According to the laws of physics, size matters. The enclosure for the perfect speaker would be HUGE! A high-end, but still entry-level design would be dual 15" powered woofers, a 12-inch midrange, and a big-ass horn-loaded tweeter. If the enclosure is anything other than a rectangle, it will be double or triple the price, although primarily for aesthetics.   

The funny thing is that what you describe is almost exactly what I have in my upstairs system, the Spatial Audio X3's.  Big horn loaded AMT tweeter.  12 inch paper midrange.  15 inch bass woofer.  Just in an OB format instead of a box format.

They make enough bass for me (strong to about 30hz), but if somebody wanted the bottom octave they could add a sub or 2.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #97 on: 30 Aug 2022, 03:58 pm »
According to the laws of physics, size matters. The enclosure for the perfect speaker would be HUGE!

To get bass you need big. Everything in audio revolves around the wavelength being reproduced.

dave

WGH

« Reply #98 on: 30 Aug 2022, 04:30 pm »
To get bass you need big.

Or long

REL G1 MkII
12 in., 300mm long throw, carbon fiber cone with inverted carbon fibre centre cap
Suspension travel now permits over 2” of stroke
-6 dB at 15Hz

Early B.

« Reply #99 on: 30 Aug 2022, 07:16 pm »
The funny thing is that what you describe is almost exactly what I have in my upstairs system, the Spatial Audio X3's.  Big horn loaded AMT tweeter.  12 inch paper midrange.  15 inch bass woofer.  Just in an OB format instead of a box format.

They make enough bass for me (strong to about 30hz), but if somebody wanted the bottom octave they could add a sub or 2.

With three GR Research dual OB servo subs, I'm a big fan of open baffle designs. The downside is you need several OB subs. I think a quad of triples would be ideal for tremendously musical bass. If given a choice, I'd create a hybrid speaker -- OB on the bass, enclosed midrange, and horn-loaded highs.