Introduction

mperdue63

Introduction
« on: 13 Apr 2022, 07:21 pm »
I'm a newbie to the Circle. My name is Malcolm and I'm from Virginia. I'm considering Spatial X5's to pair with Decware amps etc. Looking to learn!

Tarheel

Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: 14 Apr 2022, 11:43 am »
Welcome Malcolm! 

doggie

« Reply #2 on: 14 Apr 2022, 12:06 pm »
Sounds like a very good pairing. Be sure to allow the X5's plenty of time to break in before deciding how you feel about them or making any changes meant to "improve" their sound ...other than tentative room placement :-)

I have X5's and know this to be true!

abomwell

« Reply #3 on: 14 Apr 2022, 01:45 pm »
I totally agree. I have them too. They are extraordinary speakers!

Al

mperdue63

« Reply #4 on: 14 Apr 2022, 02:04 pm »
Thanks for the welcome, I appreciate the info. and guidance. Please continue to share any suggestions as I appreciate them all.
Malcolm

Mr. Big

« Reply #5 on: 15 Apr 2022, 12:39 pm »
Thanks for the welcome, I appreciate the info. and guidance. Please continue to share any suggestions as I appreciate them all.
Malcolm

So much for you to read on this site which will answer any questions you may have or think of from real owners.

Mibluman

« Reply #6 on: 18 Apr 2022, 11:48 pm »
Hi Malcolm,  I have had my X 5’s for ten months and love them. I burned them in with a Kenwood vintage SS amp for 200 plus hrs.  Waited over seven months for a Torii Jr. v2 and it pairs great, couldn’t be more pleased. The X 5’s being a powered woofer and 97 db sensitivity will make most all Decware amps pair well. I’m in a 13 x24 room listening at 65 to 75 db levels most times but the Torii will blow you out at concert levels if you want. Hope this helps, best of luck making a decision.

mperdue63

« Reply #7 on: 22 Apr 2022, 01:53 pm »
Mibluman,
Thanks for the reply. I'm really looking forward the X5's. They have a Decware Amp in the Spatial Audio Lab and the recommendation from Cloud was the X5. Cloud told me 4-6 weeks for delivery, I ordered on the 14th. I'm planning on running the X5's with a pair of SE84UFO25 Amps in mono.  I use the 25th Ann. amps with my DIY LII Audio F-15 OB's and listen at the same db level in a  14x20 room and they are plenty loud. I have a CSP3 in front of the amps and the pre and amps are set at 50%...plenty of volume in my room. Just not much LF. I'm working on treating my room now as it is certainly part of the bass challenge. I've kept my ZMA just in case, lol.

Did you just play the Kenwood 24/7 or a few hour a day etc? I was thinking I would use an older NAD SS amp in the same fashion to speedup the break-in.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #8 on: 22 Apr 2022, 03:11 pm »
Here's the beauty of the X5 and the X3, with their powered bass sections - hook up a 2 watt amp and you get delicate beauty in the mids/highs.  And you know what else you get, every time?  Crushing, full range bass.  That's REALLY hard to pull off with any other speaker. 

mperdue63

« Reply #9 on: 22 Apr 2022, 03:22 pm »
 That's what I'm hoping for!
Malcolm

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #10 on: 22 Apr 2022, 03:32 pm »
That's what I'm hoping for!
Malcolm

I've run mine with a Type 45 amp, a 2a3 amp and a 300b amp - all sounded incredible. 

Mibluman

« Reply #11 on: 23 Apr 2022, 01:57 am »
Malcolm,
Sounds like your in for some great listening.  I broke my X5’s in running about 12 hrs.a day 6-7 days for two weeks then went to normal listening.  I average 3-5 hrs. at least 3 times per week currently. I talked with Clayton at Spatial about break in volumes and he said crank it up they can take it. Things started with ZZ Top Greatest Hits on cd set to repeat. The volume was set at 90 db for 3-4 hrs. at a time with the bass turned up on the Kenwood. Next I used a symphony overture cd again directed at the woofers. Last would be Boston on the TT set on repeat. I was able to get about an hour of my usual volume (65-70 db) each night and every couple of days could hear improvements as they came to life.

It was really cool to see the break in working real time. The bass went from a little boomy and slow to tight and very fast. The AMT started bright and a little piercing to the ear then just to die for. The room treatments and placement are key after break in. I did diy acoustic panels. Placement I’m 36” into room and 20” off the sidewall, toed in just about 10 deg.

Good luck, there’s plenty of help within this group.