Emil

The making of a Magnepan LRS
« on: 21 Feb 2022, 01:54 pm »
Hand made speakers made by craftspeople  :D
All for only $750
Sure gave me a greater appreciation for Magnepan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N6vZ6CoSeM&t=642s

dwmaggie

• First memory of music was parents Zenith portable.
Re: The making of a Magnepan LRS
« Reply #1 on: 21 Feb 2022, 04:26 pm »
Thank you, Emil.  I purchased the 1.7i model just over a year ago.  The video helped me understand the how and why of Magnepans.  Over the years, I have spoken with most of the employees.  Cindy tipped me off how the employees can move thru the various stages in the workshop.  She said she had done every job in the factory.  Remember, if you call about a problem, have your serial numbers in hand.  Nice video, very informative.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #2 on: 21 Feb 2022, 04:36 pm »
Thanks for posting that.
I couldn't do the foil, that takes a really gentle touch.

Saturn94

« Reply #3 on: 21 Feb 2022, 10:04 pm »
Interesting video. 👍

Jack the cat

• At the gates of delirium
« Reply #4 on: 21 Feb 2022, 11:26 pm »
Thanks for sharing. I have a pair of MMGs in a system - probably the best $600 speakers out there.

Saturn94

dwmaggie

• First memory of music was parents Zenith portable.
« Reply #6 on: 23 Feb 2022, 03:42 am »
ASR is not a gold standard for testing.  I've found the testers opinion to be very, very biased.  A lot of my equipment is on his not recommended/do not buy list.  He even suggested buying a 70 watt amp that he measured at 23 watts and then clipped horribly, was a good buy.  The evaluation of a pair of LRSs by Amir displayed ignorance (he did not bother to read the instructions), placed them close to the wall, even claimed the fabric that was still stuck to the membrane was a large button?  Overall, just trying to beat the LRS like the proverbial dead horse.  Sad.  But-folks subscribe to the ASR way of thinking.  After the LRS evaluation, I stopped visiting there.

Jack the cat

• At the gates of delirium
« Reply #7 on: 23 Feb 2022, 04:00 am »
Wow, there is quite a reaction to this video over at ASR.

Dog pile!

Saturn94

« Reply #8 on: 23 Feb 2022, 05:01 am »
ASR is not a gold standard for testing.  I've found the testers opinion to be very, very biased.  A lot of my equipment is on his not recommended/do not buy list.  He even suggested buying a 70 watt amp that he measured at 23 watts and then clipped horribly, was a good buy.  The evaluation of a pair of LRSs by Amir displayed ignorance (he did not bother to read the instructions), placed them close to the wall, even claimed the fabric that was still stuck to the membrane was a large button?  Overall, just trying to beat the LRS like the proverbial dead horse.  Sad.  But-folks subscribe to the ASR way of thinking.  After the LRS evaluation, I stopped visiting there.

ASR’s review of the LRS was interesting, to say the least.  It was like I was reading about a completely different speaker than my LRS (which sound great to me and others)!  It seems to me that perhaps the test method wasn’t appropriate for a dipole panel speaker, at least in the sense of determining how it would likely perform as a pair properly set up.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #9 on: 23 Feb 2022, 07:59 am »
Nothing against anyone but I'll take my reviews from a place that's been doing this for a while, they'll have the experience and can put things in context:
https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/magnepan-lrs-loudspeaker

In the right size room with some good equipment and a good sub (or two) you've pretty much got the ultimate bedroom system.
Placement plays a big part in it, of course.

Stereophile got it pretty much spot on with this review:
https://www.stereophile.com/content/magnepan-lrs-loudspeaker-0

« Last Edit: 23 Feb 2022, 12:07 pm by SteveFord »

Davey

« Reply #10 on: 23 Feb 2022, 04:47 pm »
ASR’s review of the LRS was interesting, to say the least.  It was like I was reading about a completely different speaker than my LRS (which sound great to me and others)!  It seems to me that perhaps the test method wasn’t appropriate for a dipole panel speaker, at least in the sense of determining how it would likely perform as a pair properly set up.

Yeah, the test procedure is inadequate for anything other than conventional speakers.  I noted the potential problems to ASR even before he tested them.
Ultimately, he kicked me off his forum.  :)

Dave.

Saturn94

« Reply #11 on: 23 Feb 2022, 05:46 pm »
Nothing against anyone but I'll take my reviews from a place that's been doing this for a while, they'll have the experience and can put things in context:
https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/magnepan-lrs-loudspeaker

In the right size room with some good equipment and a good sub (or two) you've pretty much got the ultimate bedroom system.
Placement plays a big part in it, of course.

Stereophile got it pretty much spot on with this review:
https://www.stereophile.com/content/magnepan-lrs-loudspeaker-0

I don’t have any particular issue with ASR.  I like reading a variety of sites.  Like any site, they get some things right and some things wrong (just my opinion, of course).  Reviews anywhere are incomplete at best and can never account for one’s personal preferences.

Good to see you posting today.  :thumb:

hayden

« Reply #12 on: 23 Feb 2022, 11:49 pm »
What do all of think about Danny’s assessment of them?

https://gr-research.com/product/magnepan-lrs/

Saturn94

« Reply #13 on: 24 Feb 2022, 01:28 am »
What do all of think about Danny’s assessment of them?

https://gr-research.com/product/magnepan-lrs/

It would be interesting to hear a GR modified LRS, but I’m not interested in going through the trouble to try it.

jbl

« Reply #14 on: 28 Feb 2022, 04:24 am »
I have the 3.7i's.  I removed the factory crossover and replaced the components with upgraded caps and coils in a separate box.  Also removed the fuses in the signal path and hardwired everything back to the panel and tweeter with teflon jacketed OCC wire.

Sound quality improved significantly.  Bass is deeper and stronger, mids and highs clearer and better overall dynamics. 

It was a long and arduous process but enjoyable.

The Magnepans have a lot of unused potential due to the price point they are selling at.

jbl

artur9

« Reply #15 on: 5 Mar 2022, 06:17 pm »
I have the 3.7i's.  I removed the factory crossover and replaced the components with upgraded caps and coils in a separate box.  ...

The Magnepans have a lot of unused potential due to the price point they are selling at.
I have some Minis.  Do you think they'd benefit from this sort of thing?