So what does it cost to build the XLS Encore speakers

Poleary

For anyone just starting out, like me, I wanted to sum up the actual costs to build a set of XLS Encore speakers:

MDF flat pack with shipping $186.75 (this cost may be increasing)
Wood glue $9.95
Mahogany veneer sheet, veneer glue, glue roller + shipping $131.24
Clear polyurethane $13.95
Polyfil $7.50
GR Research XLS Encore kit (full upgrade) + 1 sheet of No Rez + shipping $678.42

Total cost for completed speakers $1027.81 *

* This is the total cost if you already have the necessary tools. I did not so there are additional costs:

8 wood clamps @ $5.99 $47.92
Router $89.98
2 router bits $47.89
Heat gun $34.98
Soldering iron $25.70

This brings the grand total for my speakers with the finish I desired to $1274.28

So in summary, the upgraded Encores will cost you about $1000 (depending on your finish) if you already have the tools or about $1300 if you don’t.  Cost of your labor not included.

I also did not include tax costs as this will differ for each person’s location but it should also be considered.

I hope this gives anyone thinking about building their own, an idea of the cost and tools required.

P

« Last Edit: 28 Jan 2022, 08:30 pm by Poleary »

Digi-G

Re: So what does it cost to build the XLS Encore speakers
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jan 2022, 01:43 pm »
Well, the cost of the tools are, more or less, a one time cost.  They will probably last your lifetime and if you're handy at all you'll use them for home improvement projects, other woodworking projects, or even more DIY audio projects.

So, just over $1000 for a pair of speakers.  You don't say whether you feel that is expensive or not.  It IS all relative, but for the quality of the speakers and the performance you'll get, that's really a bargain.  Especially if they bring you musical enjoyment for the next 10 years.  Or more.

So, have you built these yet?  Still considering it?  Just starting?

I'm working on a build of NX Studios from GR Research.  My first ever speaker build.  They cost a bit more than yours but I'm lucky enough (i.e. old enough) to have all the tools I need.

Poleary

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jan 2022, 01:56 pm »
I totally agree. That’s why I felt it was prudent to separate the materials cost from the tools cost. These are useful tools that will find a purpose on other projects down the road. However, you would need them to do this speaker project and unless you already had them their cost would have to be considered.

Based on reviews, it does seem that the physical quality of the components, enclosures, and the sound quality of the finished speakers will reach beyond their costs.  Danny estimates a comparison of $2500 - $3000 for factory manufactured speakers.  I plan to have these a very long time.

I have the enclosures ready but the tweeters are back ordered so not finished yet.

P

Digi-G

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jan 2022, 04:39 pm »
I just ran across your other, build thread.  Looking good.   :thumb:

Poleary

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jan 2022, 05:02 pm »
Thanks. Have you started on your build yet?  One thing I learned, is to practice with the router on scrap wood.  I was not an experienced router user so there was a bit of a learning curve. Getting the depth setting right on the round over bit is especially important.

P

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 28 Jan 2022, 05:14 pm »
Thanks. Have you started on your build yet?  One thing I learned, is to practice with the router on scrap wood.  I was not an experienced router user so there was a bit of a learning curve. Getting the depth setting right on the round over bit is especially important.

P

I’ve found YouTube to be helpful. Any time I’m going to try a procedure I haven’t done before I check to see if anybody has posted a video on how to make the cut. That shortens the learning curve when practicing and can possibly prevent a dangerous situation

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 28 Jan 2022, 08:02 pm »
So $1,028 to build the upgraded X-LS Encore with wood veneer.

On the other end of the spectrum, if someone builds the basic X-LS Encore, with No-Rez, polyfill, DuraTex finish, and cuts the cabinet parts themselves (at least a jig or circular saw and plunge router needed) they can build a pair of X-LS Encores for around $450.

To cover all bases it can be summed up that the X-LS Encore costs from $450 to $1,028 or more to build depending on the upgrades and type of finish chosen.

For folks who can spend up to $500 on a pair of speakers but not $1,000, the base X-LS Encore is an excellent sounding speaker in it's own right.