which products reduce hum on a Solid State amp?

willief23

which products reduce hum on a Solid State amp?
« on: 28 Jan 2022, 05:05 am »
I have an Outlaw 7500 Amp that has 2 big transformers in it so it has hummed since pretty much day 1 of owning it.  Im pretty sure I have dc on the power line which is causing the hum.  Which products reduce hum on a Solid State amp?

I have 1-2 filters  in each room that reduce power line noise in the wall outlets by around 90-92% (tested with greenwave noise analyzer).  I have 2 EP 2750 ground filters installed at the breaker panel for my home audio and computer circuits (that didnt really do much of anything).  All my equipment is plugged into a PI Audio Uberbuss.  I have Acoustic Zen power cords on most of my equipment with the exception of the Outlaw 7500 amp using a Shunyata  Alpha V2 NR power cord. Wall Outlet is a Furutech GTX D with carbon fiber cover. All power cables, interconnect and speaker cables are off the floor and power cords are routed away from other cables.
Supposedly Puritan makes products that reduce humming from transformers with their dc offset corrector built into some of their products. I tried a Puritan PS106DC and the humming still remained. Also Emotiva CMX-2 suposedly reduces or gets rid of humming. Besides the Emotiva product and installing a dedicated line for my audio setup which is NOT an option what else could I try?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: which products reduce hum on a Solid State amp?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jan 2022, 05:19 am »
I have an Outlaw 7500 Amp that has 2 big transformers in it so it has hummed since pretty much day 1 of owning it.  Im pretty sure I have dc on the power line which is causing the hum.  Which products reduce hum on a Solid State amp?

I have 1-2 filters  in each room that reduce power line noise in the wall outlets by around 90-92% (tested with greenwave noise analyzer).  I have 2 EP 2750 ground filters installed at the breaker panel for my home audio and computer circuits (that didnt really do much of anything).  All my equipment is plugged into a PI Audio Uberbuss.  I have Acoustic Zen power cords on most of my equipment with the exception of the Outlaw 7500 amp using a Shunyata  Alpha V2 NR power cord. Wall Outlet is a Furutech GTX D with carbon fiber cover. All power cables, interconnect and speaker cables are off the floor and power cords are routed away from other cables.
Supposedly Puritan makes products that reduce humming from transformers with their dc offset corrector built into some of their products. I tried a Puritan PS106DC and the humming still remained. Also Emotiva CMX-2 suposedly reduces or gets rid of humming. Besides the Emotiva product and installing a dedicated line for my audio setup which is NOT an option what else could I try?
If you are sure its the eletricity try some ferrite on the power cable just after the outlet, other tweak to try would be a small magnet on top of the power transformer, In my personal experience the more filters I used, the worse the hum gets.

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jan 2022, 05:30 am »
Try Frank Van Alstine’s Humdinger.

dB Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jan 2022, 12:29 pm »
+1 on the Humdinger. Unlike the magic beans approach, it actually works. There is a clear explanation of how on the Van Alstine website and in the AVA forum here.

charmerci

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jan 2022, 02:30 pm »
+2 I've eliminated transformer hum with it. From bzzzz to dead silent.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #5 on: 1 Feb 2022, 07:12 pm »
I just ordered one for a brand new amp, we'll see if this does the trick.