Amplifier question for XLS-Encore owners

Poleary

Re: Amplifier question for XLS-Encore owners
« Reply #20 on: 6 Jan 2022, 11:15 am »
The Outlaw looks very unique. I had never seen a piece of electronic equipment in Art Deco style. It’s lovely.  Does also seem to have all of the inputs I would need. Many have mentioned Marantz so I am going to give them a careful look.

mflaming

« Reply #21 on: 6 Jan 2022, 05:25 pm »
I’d connect the Roku and DVD to the TV via HDMI. Then, run optical out to your DAC input on the hypothetical amplifier (you’ll have to set the optical out option to PCM or it won’t work). Then, no matter what input you are using on the TV, your amp will see the audio and you won’t have to switch anything on the amp. This makes control easier. This would be very different if you were using an AVR.

When I have some time tomorrow I’ll look and see what amplifiers fit your spec and would sound good with the GRs.

This is exactly how I run my 2.1 A/V setup. Only minor complaint I have is that there seems to be a very small time alignment discrepancy that a true home theater receiver would have ability to adjust.

Chewbacca

« Reply #22 on: 7 Jan 2022, 07:40 pm »
So, if you're going down the path of two channel audio for both movies and music. I'd suggest going down somewhat of the path I did:

One of my first items was an HT processor that did not include any amplification (Emotiva UMC-200). Then I purchased a two channel amplifier (Emotiva something, can't remember what). This allowed me to upgrade everything else around the UMC processor. Eventually getting a better amp. Eventually getting an actual preamp for music only (one with HT bypass). Eventually getting a standalone DAC. Eventually getting a record player and phono preamp... but the UMC is still in my system. Currently it is strictly used to movies/tv only. It's been in my system for maybe 8 years? And I feel no need to upgrade.

If you go with a receiver only, you'll most likely spend less money up front, since you won't need an additional amp/s. But when you decide to get a dedicated amplifier in a year or so from now, you'll overall endup spending more money, since so you'll end up only using the receiver as a processor (most likely)... Depending on how deep you want to go lol.

IF I were you... I'd just find a Home Theater processor (maybe could find a nice one used) get a stereo Odyssey Khartago amp and go from there. Klaus (owner of Odyssey) will change the stereo version of the amp to a mono for free if you decide to upgrade to monoblocks down the line... Then you can just keep adding to the system as you see fit. It's quite futureproof... :thumb:

Just my .02 of what I did historically - with no regrets whatsoever!

ButchWillard

« Reply #23 on: 28 Jan 2022, 02:03 pm »
I connected my upgraded Encores to a Hegel H190.  I considered many others integrated (NAD; NAIM; Cambridge; etc) but settled on the Hegel.  The Hegel 190 has plenty of power at 150 watts per channel.  It is certainly equal to the Encores and any upgrades i may contemplate in the future.  I have an integrated that does what I asked (play 2 channel, stream digital audio and serve as my TV speakers via the optical Hegel's optical input.  I love the sound.  One drawback (for now) is the Hegel is not yet a certified Roon endpoint.  The Hegel does stream Spotify and Airplay but not Hi-Res yet.  They promise an upgrade soon but soon seems to be relative. 

Poleary

« Reply #24 on: 28 Jan 2022, 02:42 pm »
I did look at the Hegels but alas, they were out of my price range. Maybe one day. For now, I ended up purchasing an Emotiva BasX TA1 integrated amplifier. It’s 60 watts and drives my Wharfedale Diamond 225 speakers very well. It should have no problem with the encores.

P