What is better ....

nagaokasan

What is better ....
« on: 23 Jan 2022, 06:37 pm »
In your experience, if you need to run a 15ft cables, is better to run the speaker cable or RCA between pre and power amp and please let me know why.
Thanks in advance 

nagaokasan

Re: What is better ....
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jan 2022, 06:39 pm »
Fogot to add that Im talking about low wattage power amp and full range speakers

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 25 Jan 2022, 05:13 am »
Better to have long speaker cables than long interconnects.  Because the signal is so low with interconnects, greater chances of losses.

Digi-G

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jan 2022, 03:15 pm »
I agree with Tyson.

Way back in the early 1990s I had my first surround system.  I had a dedicated 2-channel amp for the back speakers.  I decided it would be really cool to have that amp closer to the rear speakers, so I moved it from the front to the back and extended my interconnects.  Now granted, the interconnects weren't fancy or high end but my god, the noise they picked up - I couldn't believe it.  And it wasn't subtle.  They were noisy with no music playing and any music was so distorted...  I moved my amp back immediately.  I learned a good lesson if nothing else.

mick wolfe

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jan 2022, 03:37 pm »
Agree with Tyson as well. FWIW, I'll add that I've never heard an advantage of a 4' speaker cable vs. an 8' speaker cable of the same model and manufacture. In fact over time, I preferred the 8 footer.

nagaokasan

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jan 2022, 05:42 am »
There seems to be consensus, thanks for your input

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 8 Feb 2022, 12:51 pm »
Long balanced cables (XLR) and short speaker cables would be ideal.