Pass Labs XA25

gene9p

Pass Labs XA25
« on: 16 Dec 2021, 03:22 pm »
I have one en-route and due to be delivered tomorrow. I am currently using a Parasound A21 with my Mac C2300. Any tips from users out there would be much appreciated.

jjss49

Re: Pass Labs XA25
« Reply #1 on: 16 Dec 2021, 05:24 pm »
just plug it in, turn on rear power via flip switch, wait a couple minutes, then push front on button to power up (blue led should then light)

it is one helluva an amp, i believe it is a cut above the parasound unit you have currently

enjoy

gene9p

« Reply #2 on: 16 Dec 2021, 05:36 pm »
thanks....do you leave it on..blue light front button ..all the time, or turn off , front button ..when done listening

CSI

« Reply #3 on: 16 Dec 2021, 09:34 pm »
I had an XA25 for a couple of years. Great amp. I turned mine off between sessions then back on 20 to 30 minutes before listening (with front blue light - rear switch on all the time). It will sound just fine after this brief warm up and, since it is a Class A amp, leaving it on 24/7 will waste a lot of electricity unnecessarily.

RDavidson

« Reply #4 on: 16 Dec 2021, 10:59 pm »
I LOVE my XA25. Have had mine for a few years now with zero plans to let it go. I agree with what has already been said. Leave the main switch on in back (unless you're not going to use it for a long time - like weeks). Otherwise, use the front on/off switch. It warms up pretty fast. About 30 mins to 1 hour is sufficient. I would not leave it on all the time. It's completely unnecessary and wasteful...unless you just cannot plan 30 mins ahead to turn it on prior to a listening session. Really, I find it sounds OK even on cold start-up. Not its best, but fine for some background tunes while it warms up and you go do other things around the house or whatever.

jjss49

« Reply #5 on: 16 Dec 2021, 11:24 pm »
agree with others' comments
leave rear switch on always, hit front pushbutton before listening, to me, warm up takes 20-30 min not that it sounds bad at all at the start
in deference to energy conservation and being planet friendly, i don't leave it on cooking and sucking juice all time

gene9p

« Reply #6 on: 17 Dec 2021, 02:44 pm »
Thanks to all for your input on the power. I was assuming back on at all time as I have done in past with all my previous amps, most had 12v triggers so front was on at all time as well. Since this is my first Pass and any Class A amp whatsoever I wasn't sure so everyone's response is much appreciated. Looks like Fed Ex is running late, not unexpected at this time of the year, so delivery may take a day or two longer.

Chazz5

« Reply #7 on: 17 Dec 2021, 11:14 pm »
I emailed Pass about his First Watt F8. He replied that it reaches thermal equilibrium in "something less than one hour."

gene9p

« Reply #8 on: 20 Dec 2021, 10:25 pm »
I set up the amp today in a temporary spot as The big A21 is still on my amp stand. I am using a pair Triode Wire Labs Spirit RCA's from the Mac pre to the Pass Labs. The sound is quite different from the Parasound and of course at 25 watts I have the Mac preamp volume level dialed up much higher. I am going to give it a good run in and do some serious listening later tonight and tomorrow, Since it's "pre-owned" it is fully broken in so I will be able to tell a lot about it pretty quickly.
« Last Edit: 21 Dec 2021, 03:27 pm by gene9p »

mr_bill

« Reply #9 on: 20 Dec 2021, 10:57 pm »
Looking forward to your report!

mav52

« Reply #10 on: 21 Dec 2021, 12:14 am »
I have the xa30.5 and Nelson ,mentioned, give it 30-40 mins to build up some heat and its ready to go.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #11 on: 21 Dec 2021, 12:31 am »
I owned an A21 for years and then bought a Pass X250.  The A21 sounded midfi in comparison.  I expect that the XA25 will do the same unless it is under powered for your speakers.

Enjoy!

jjss49

« Reply #12 on: 21 Dec 2021, 03:09 am »
I owned an A21 for years and then bought a Pass X250.  The A21 sounded midfi in comparison.  I expect that the XA25 will do the same unless it is under powered for your speakers.

Enjoy!

+1

not to knock parasound gear, it is good stuff, and a good value

but pass amps are definitely on another, higher level

enjoy

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #13 on: 21 Dec 2021, 03:41 am »
+1

not to knock parasound gear, it is good stuff, and a good value

but pass amps are definitely on another, higher level

enjoy

Agree.  You would need to jump up to the Parasound JC line to get to the level of Pass gear.  The JC line is great kit.  I almost bought a pair of JC 1 monoblocks before my Pass.  I would love to hear the new ones or even the JC5.

gene9p

« Reply #14 on: 24 Dec 2021, 04:12 pm »
I have been super busy so I haven't had too much time to listen seriously. I hope to soon and I won't get into what's been going on lately that has my full attention. One thing I DO HAVE TO REMEMBER..is too turn it off at night..lol. I am spoiled by 12v triggers.

gene9p

« Reply #15 on: 25 Dec 2021, 08:43 pm »
Lot's of time today. Seems to be some sort of unhappiness with the amp and vinyl. Cd's great, tuner..great, streaming great...turntable..ugh!. I tried several different cables and raising and lowering the arm to tune in sound but some of my favorites just cannot be corrected. I even used the MM phono stage on the Mac preamp..same thing. S's are very essy and scratchy on several lps including my favorite Cat Stevens LP Teaser and the Fire Cat. The P S Audio Stellar Phono Stage is a great preamp with lots of settings and has both balanced and RCA outputs. Sound had same issues no matter the output. I even swapped out my Audio Sensibity phono cables...no luck.The Mac is a pain in butt to change tubes but I plan to try that too.

..to be continued...

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #16 on: 25 Dec 2021, 09:06 pm »
Lot's of time today. Seems to be some sort of unhappiness with the amp and vinyl. Cd's great, tuner..great, streaming great...turntable..ugh!. I tried several different cables and raising and lowering the arm to tune in sound but some of my favorites just cannot be corrected. I even used the MM phono stage on the Mac preamp..same thing. S's are very essy and scratchy on several lps including my favorite Cat Stevens LP Teaser and the Fire Cat. The P S Audio Stellar Phono Stage is a great preamp with lots of settings and has both balanced and RCA outputs. Sound had same issues no matter the output. I even swapped out my Audio Sensibity phono cables...no luck.The Mac is a pain in butt to change tubes but I plan to try that too.

..to be continued...

Gene9p, I had an issue with sibilants in my system and I tamed them with cables.  I used the Belden 8402 RCA's and XLR's-
https://btpa.com/IC8402-XX.html

I also have a pair of Audioquest Columbia 72v DBS XLR's that worked even more than the 8402's but I prefer the sound of the 8402's.

Certainly, tubes can help.

gene9p

« Reply #17 on: 25 Dec 2021, 09:51 pm »
Thanks..didn't have this issue with the Parasound or this VPI Classic 2 turntable b4. I swapped lot's of cables today, even those going to the amp with no luck. Plan is to swap the Tung Sol tubes in the Mac with some NOS tubes I have from my Mac C220 preamp from a few years ago. If no luck then I plan to set up my Vinnie Rossi Lio with the Pass. If it still persists ,the Lio has the amp mod to use it as an integrated that will tell me for sure if it's the Pass or not.If it still persists with the LIO as an integrated,then it might be time to swap out the cartridge..using a SS Boheme currently, to my old standby by Ortofon 2M Black and a new, still sealed SS Aida.

RDavidson

« Reply #18 on: 26 Dec 2021, 03:04 am »
I don't know much about vinyl, but maybe this might help.
https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/high-frequency-distortion

gene9p

« Reply #19 on: 26 Dec 2021, 04:33 am »
yup..that's part of removing sibilance...The VTF and the VTA and condition of cartridge. That's first thing tomorrow evening..thanks.