Amp with Wharfedale Evo

Fosmosis

Amp with Wharfedale Evo
« on: 21 Nov 2021, 03:18 pm »
Looking for an integrated to power my Evo 4.2s. Currently I have some older equipment in rotation. An Arcam a19 acting as a preamp with a Arcam p25 powering the speakers. I have a bluesound Node2i as well as a chord mojo for streaming and dac use. I do play vinyl from time to time so a solid phono would be a plus but not a deal breaker if it wasn't included. I could always add an external phono later. The only other amp I have tried was the Arcam sa20 since I do enjoy the Arcam sound but the combination was much to laid back and added too much warmth to the already smooth wharfedales. Surprisingly the a19 and p25 sounds much more open and airy but I feel like I could benefit from a more detailed amp to find a common ground with the warm Warefdale's. They do seem to like plenty of high current power. My budget is around $2000 and I have medium size room. I mainly listen to folk, singer, songwriter stuff but I do like to get my toes tapping to some pop on occasion.

Amps I have been thinking about:

Music Fidelity m3si
Cambridge CXA81
Rega elex
Hegel
Rogue Sphinx v3
Yahama 1200 or 801
Peachtree 150
Audiolab 6000a

Fosmosis

Re: Amp with Wharfedale Evo
« Reply #1 on: 21 Nov 2021, 06:56 pm »
Anyone?

Samac

« Reply #2 on: 21 Nov 2021, 09:45 pm »
I’ve enjoyed my Arcam A19 for many years, what a great amp. I’m sure the A19 with P25 sounds very good. Of the amps you’ve listed I’ve only listened to the original Rogue Sphinx. It was a nice amp and I’m sure would sound good with the Wharfedales.

The two that stand out on the list for me are the Yamaha 801 and Audiolab 6000a. My admiration for those comes from the many reviews I’ve read and their fantastic build with great power supplies. They are fantastic values. I do believe either would be excellent with your Wharfedales.

Another suggestion that I hesitate to make because I understand budgets and $2k is already a lot of money but since your using the A19 as a pre with the P25 I’ll throw it out there. You might want to consider the Schiit Freya S pre-amp with a Rotel RB-1582 MKII amplifier. That would come in around $2400 retail. That would really open up the Wharfedales and sound great as well.

I use the Freya S with a Rotel RB-1590 and am very pleased with the combo. Good luck with your search, Fosmosis.

Cheers,

Scott

Fosmosis

« Reply #3 on: 21 Nov 2021, 11:10 pm »
I haven't thought about some different separates. Do you think that combo would beat out a solid integrated around the $2 grand mark. I'm trying to simplify things but of course sound quality trumps all haha

charmerci

« Reply #4 on: 21 Nov 2021, 11:17 pm »
My integrated amp personal choices would be down to Hegal, Rogue, Odyssey audio or the company that I have used for decades, the AVA (Van Alstine) Control Amp.

I hope you don't mind but I'm selling my Odyssey Tempest preamp and AVA Synergy amp for about $1500 together here on AC.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #5 on: 22 Nov 2021, 12:01 am »
My son uses a Cary 300.2d Integrated with his Evo 4.4's and they sound fabulous together and even better with his new Chord Qutest DAC.  I would certainly look at the AVA control amp, Hegel, used Parasound HINT (there are a few for sale on Audiogon right now) , Rogue Phoenix.  But also consider a Schiit Freya Preamp and Vidar amp.  The new peach tree amps are supposed to sound very good.

Here is a PS Audi Stellar Strata. I have heard the PSA Stella 700 mono's and they sound great but have not heard the integrated-

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisae12h-ps-audio-stellar-strata-stereo-integrated-amplifier-solid-state

toocool4

« Reply #6 on: 22 Nov 2021, 12:21 am »
Arcam have always been just a bit too safe sounding for my liking, nothing exciting about them but the FMJ series has been the better things they produced.  The Yamaha is a departure from what you have now, personally you need to get a home demo of the kit you are interested in that is the only way you will know what works for you. I never buy kit now adays unless I can try it in my home with the rest of my kit, this is the only way to truly know what works for you.

Samac

« Reply #7 on: 22 Nov 2021, 12:21 am »
I haven't thought about some different separates. Do you think that combo would beat out a solid integrated around the $2 grand mark. I'm trying to simplify things but of course sound quality trumps all haha

I completely understand the desire to simplify. I used integrateds for more than a dozen years (a couple of 50 watt a/b amps and a 200 watt Class-d). In the context of my large room and large-ish three-way speakers they did an adequate job. In a smaller room with smaller speakers my A19 really came into its own.

What I found going to a dedicated pre and a powerful amplifier was improved sound top to bottom. I experienced great improvements in soundstage, details and dynamics. Tone and timbre improved as well along with clarity. One of the biggest benefits was mid-bass, that crucial area between say 60 and 200hz. I believe the improvement has to do with a great power supply both for the amp and the pre.

I believe the Yamaha or the Audiolab would be fine amplifiers and provide much  enjoyment. If I had a smaller room and my budget was $1k I would go with one of those in a heartbeat. But I believe an amp with a substantially bigger power supply like the Rotel  RB-1582 MKII along with a good pre can take the sound up a notch.

Cheers,

Scott

Fosmosis

« Reply #8 on: 22 Nov 2021, 05:30 am »
Thank you for all the responses and info...keep em coming 😊 : I.Greyhound Fan: That Cary looks sweet but unfortunately a bit out of my price range. I've wanted the cutest for a bit now but the Mojo just keeps on singing lol

Has anyone heard the cambridge or Rega offerings? I unfortunately have a drought of hifi stores near me.

I'm also looking at the Belles Aria integrated if I can get the cash together

Fosmosis

« Reply #9 on: 22 Nov 2021, 01:19 pm »
Alright, I've boiled down the list to the MF M6si, the Belles Aria integrated,  and the Rogue Sphinx v3. Any front runners in your eyes?